Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C for a set of prints

• 26-05-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was thinking of taking the plunge and getting a few photo's actually printed, either as large posters (mostly for test purposes) with snapfish or maybe I'm might just go directly for a large canvas. I was hoping to get your C&C on which, if any, of the following would look good printed large and hanging on a wall.

Also sorry its a total random bunch without any theme running through them!

1. I posted this to the random thread yesterday - tempted to try reshoot it
    4640920975_37c78ba3d9_o.jpg

2. Foggy morning earlier in the spring
    4643155300_2dba771ecd_b.jpg

3. Posted this on the random thread about a week ago (I think it was deleted as it was >800 pixels :o)
    4614842493_0b247b251d.jpg

4. Another shot from my honeymoon
    4643341696_4dd6f9a051_b.jpg

5. Just after my niece's first holy communion - her face and eyes aren't nearly as sharp as I'd like
    4642698567_19757f8bfb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I think your shot of the wooden pier in Killaloe is very good. The only danger would be people might think you bought it in Ikea or something, it is a very commercial image but I don't mean that in a bad way ;) if I had taken that I would happily have it hanging on my wall. I think it would work well on canvas too.

I think #3 is a great shot too, would love to see it as a high-contrast black & white. What does it look like upside down, with the water reflection on the top?

The shot of your niece is a great candid portrait and I am sure her parents would love a nice print of that, you've captured a great expression there and it looks totally natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Don't have much experience with printing but here's my 2c's

Really like the first one, have been meaning to go out and try something similar to that. It looks slightly off centre though, if you are going to reshoot it that's one thing I'd make sure is bang on as the shot is essentially all about the symmetry.

I love the second one, think it would look great with a brown frame and white mount, but thats personal opinion.

The 3rd one might look good as a canvas.

edit: btw love them all :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

5 terrific shots Trican. Gobsmackingly good each one on there own. 5 is perfect, sharpening the pic would lose a lot of the lovelyness of it.

I think you might have a little prob with a couple re printing.

1. Is a cracker but when printed you may well be wanting to see a bit more space between the end of the pier and the top of the pic. Looks great here but might look tight in print.

2. Same again, simply wonderful but a bit more roaming space for the eye between the centre mountain and the top of pic might be needed.

3. Perfect.

4. When this comes out of the machine you might find the details in the clothing of the lady distracting. You may not but I'd take the shade down a notch and try to silhuoette her a tad stronger.

5. Perfect.

Fabulous shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I agree I dont think number 1 is quite symmetrical. but 3 and 4 really do it me me. all great shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Really like number 1 - I think if you did a series of 3 slightly different ones it would make a nice little set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Thanks for the detailed feedback - finding it really useful

No. 1
    @sprinkles, @superflyninja, @Promac I agree, the symmetry is off. This is as good as I could get from pp in Lightroom, so I think I'll need to reshoot it before I print it.

@humberklog Lack of space at the top is what I'm concerned about as well, probably even more so than the wonky symmetry.

@Arciphel I hear what you're saying about it being "commercial" looking, but I'll happily live with that if anyone makes that comment. I really like the area (and indeed all of Killaloe/Ballina), but as I'm shortly moving out of the country the photo has a strong personal connection.
    NO 2.
    @sprinkles I really liked this photo (again from Killaloe) when I took it. I liked the hazy/dreamy atomsphere, however a few months later I'm not sure if what I liked about it is actually harsh and non-subtle. I've no idea how this would print.

No. 3
    @Arciphel I never thought of trying it in b&w - had a quick go, it actually does look better I think. Having problems with some highlights being blown out, so will try further pp. As regards turning it upside down ..... what a cool idea, tried it but not 100% sure it works, love the idea though!

@humberklog I know space might be a problem again, maybe not as bad as no. 1 though.

No. 4
    Probably the weakest of the bunch, argee completely with humberklog, in that maybe I could improve the silhuoette

No. 5
    I like the protrait, but am concerned about the camera shake when you see that photo larger, e.g. larger version on flickr

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful C&C!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

trican wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed feedback - finding it really useful

No. 1
    @sprinkles, @superflyninja, @Promac I agree, the symmetry is off. This is as good as I could get from pp in Lightroom, so I think I'll need to reshoot it before I print it.

@humberklog Lack of space at the top is what I'm concerned about as well, probably even more so than the wonky symmetry.

@Arciphel I hear what you're saying about it being "commercial" looking, but I'll happily live with that if anyone makes that comment. I really like the area (and indeed all of Killaloe/Ballina), but as I'm shortly moving out of the country the photo has a strong personal connection.
    I love that 1st one too. It does look a bit off, but a bit of cropping and a straighten should be enough, the light looks just perfect.

If you are going to reshoot it, it would be an idea to get 3 or 4 shots of different light on different days - sunrise/set, foggy, moonlight, etc, and print and frame them together like a triptych.

It's great when you see you own shots printed big.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

If you are going to reshoot it, it would be an idea to get 3 or 4 shots of different light on different days - sunrise/set, foggy, moonlight, etc, and print and frame them together like a triptych.

Thats a super idea! I already have the following of the wooden pier

4288001477_7de012d174.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

trican wrote: »
    Thats a super idea! I already have the following of the wooden pier

4288001477_7de012d174.jpg

Snow was gonna be one of my suggestions, but I thought it would be one of those shots that would be hard to get, and you have it perfect with no footprints too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

#1 might look good in muted grayscale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Great shots.

Favs, would be 1,3,5. Think having a large version of 1 would be great as you are moving, personally I wouldn't worry all that much about the symmetry especially if you remember taking the shot.

Number 5, that would be a fantastic gift for the child or her parents.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wouldn't worry about the symmetry either. In fact a little twist makes the pic far more interesting to the viewer. Equal symmetry doesn't tease the eye or mind.

Just realised I got 2 and 3 mixed up in my original post...just switch the numbers around for 2 and 3.

Advertisement