Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this? Seen in Donegal in large numbers

Options
  • 26-05-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Loads of these fellas started hitting off the window of my place in Donegal last week. Look like fair size cockroaches from the top. Check out what they look like from underneath. Anybody know what it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

God how I hate these bugs! They are may bugs! They spend around 7 years in the larval form in the ground & in May they start to emerge & mate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

:eek::eek::eek: I'd be worried if I was you! Start building a bomb shelter and stocking up on tins of beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Looks like a cockchafer beetle. They are known to *mass flight* and usually appear in April/May. Adults only live for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

One of them decided to appear in front of me when I was a kid.. At 3am in my bedroom. I've no idea how he got in but he sounded like a Morris Minor flying around my room. I still remember the fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yep, they sound like a helicopter. Quite scary sounding and looking but harmless to humans :D, I am sure spuds don't share the sentiment :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer

Thats them. Who do they think they are coming here and stealing our.....em

Advertisement