Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music makes me nervous...

Options
  • 26-05-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

so, music has always made me a little nervous. I don't have a talent for playing, singing or picking up songs - but yet I love music. I don't have any definable taste. I just like songs, without having to like all of the artists' back-catalogue, or even know the lead singers name and political views or anecdotes about how the band got their name. I find alot of people are very exclusive in their musical tastes. They can make you feel stupid for not knowing trivia about bands, or some people have a superiority complex if they realise they have a greater knowledge about music than you. I'm sitting at an amazing house party right now where there are some of my very talented friends who have a great attitude towards music - playing songs for the lads, and trying to get everyone to njoy it, no matter on what level. Guitars are being passed around, and i regret that i cannot play. on one level- i've never put in the time and effort to learn how to play, ad i've noboy to blame but myself for this. but at the same time, i have met alot of people in my life that will talk down to you about music, and try to diminish you because they know more. they have an exclusive attitude. I think that these people miss the real point of what music is trying to accomplish - which is to help people relate to each other. instead they use it as a selfish vehicle to feed their own egos. i am very sorry that i have let these people make me feel nervous like this about music. but i feel that a large proportion of people use music in this way - just to make themselves feel better than other people.

so, does anyone else feel this way?
    are my feelings justified, or have i been holding myself back all this time?

i appreciate any replies guys...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

These people often refer to themselves as "music snobs", that's right they actually use that term to describe themselves, everyone else just calls them gobsh1tes. Best to ignore them. They will probably have to log on to pitchfork.com so it can tell them what music they are allowed to like that week within the next ten minutes of meeting them in anyways, so you usually don't have to put up with them for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Never worry about what anyone else thinks about your musical tastes... Ever. You like what you like, and that's the end of it.

I listen to mostly 1980's hard-rock/heavy-metal which is by no means the coolest genre ever invented (in fact, it is seen as downright uncool and stupid by many!) but I make no secret of this love and I have no problem with letting people know of it!

Be who you wanna be, listen to who you want to listen to and never mind what people think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

DazMarz wrote: »
    Never worry about what anyone else thinks about your musical tastes... Ever. You like what you like, and that's the end of it.

I listen to mostly 1980's hard-rock/heavy-metal which is by no means the coolest genre ever invented (in fact, it is seen as downright uncool and stupid by many!) but I make no secret of this love and I have no problem with letting people know of it!

Be who you wanna be, listen to who you want to listen to and never mind what people think!

Well said !!

If everyone liked the same type of music, it would be a dull boring world. Musical taste is a very personal thing. As for knowing all the trivia about the band/artist, if you are interested in that side of it, that's fine. Lots of people like music where they know almost nothing about the band/artist. It's not a prerequisite to enjoying the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

Music is,like any other form of art a completely subjective thing in my opinion. It is just a medium used for artists to express feelings and something which many others can share with each other and enjoy. It is ridiculous for people to call certain music bad, when at the end of the day there is no definition for "good" music! It is something deeply personal to each individual, that is why you have to ignore anyone who criticizes your taste in music or looks down on you because of it. When really they are the fools in that situation for thinking they "know better"..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Your music is your own thing. I listen as widely as I can, and I can talk about 'choons' and that kind of music with my mates, just the same as I like to get really into a composer's ideas behind their works. I don't care what anyone thinks and I really love talking about music.

I've gotten into loads of pretty heated arguments about music, and I've probably left a lot of situations with people thinking 'What a wanker', but I don't set out to argue like that. I get really into it and caught up in it because I love music so much, and I probably offend some people by not putting sentences together well.
    papazen wrote: »
    I think that these people miss the real point of what music is trying to accomplish - which is to help people relate to each other.

Hmm, I wouldn't really agree with this. The point of music is whatever the artist intends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

El Pr0n wrote: »
    The point of music is whatever the artist intends.

Not necessarily IMO. The way I would see the point of music, is for whatever way the listener wants to interpret it. That is what makes it such a personal thing. The same song or piece or music can have polar opposite impressions on people, neither of which may be what the artist intended. This is especially true with non vocal music. With vocal music the message is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

Thats not really the 'point of music' Ribsy. Thats the outcome of music or the point of you listening to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

I agree with a lot of what you say, OP. All too often music fans can be intolerable snobs who actually lack a real feel for music. They do seem to feel that liking certain types of music or artists puts them on a plateau above others. They've no sooner discovered an appreciation for an artist before they're on to the next great undiscovered thing that's lurking on myspace. They're being lead around by the nose by self appointed trend setters.

Musos and trendies get on my wick too and I find it's best to avoid them. Just enjoy what you enjoy, irrespective of what others might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

Music snobs are tossers, although i can come of giving the impression i am one from time to time. It's just because i'm so into music i find it hard not to talk about it at length & compare what i like & don't like with those around me. I try to be as open minded as i can, but some music is just rubbish, Lady GaGa for instance in my eyes has no musical/artistic talent. I understand certain people getting joy from listening to her, that is fine, i'm sure some people get enjoyment from listening to the theme tune to postman pat. But does it have artistic value?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

I find this a strange view. I'll say some people call me a music snob. Seems like most people on here have been called it at sometime.

Yes, I listen to music a lot. A lot more than the average person. Which gives me a different perspective of music. Which you could say gives me a more informed opinion. But a better opinion? Just a different view

That seems to be where the line is. After that it seems to be personality. Arrogance and self-importance are going to be the major things you'll see from music snobs, or misinterpreted passion and enthusiasm.

But it's the same with all art forms, fine art, theater, film, architecture, hell even TV shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

I'll quote Buster Bloodvessel "If You Don't Like Joy Division, You're A C*nt!":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

papazen wrote: »
    so, music has always made me a little nervous. I don't have a talent for playing, singing or picking up songs - but yet I love music. I don't have any definable taste. I just like songs, without having to like all of the artists' back-catalogue, or even know the lead singers name and political views or anecdotes about how the band got their name. I find alot of people are very exclusive in their musical tastes. They can make you feel stupid for not knowing trivia about bands, or some people have a superiority complex if they realise they have a greater knowledge about music than you. I'm sitting at an amazing house party right now where there are some of my very talented friends who have a great attitude towards music - playing songs for the lads, and trying to get everyone to njoy it, no matter on what level. Guitars are being passed around, and i regret that i cannot play. on one level- i've never put in the time and effort to learn how to play, ad i've noboy to blame but myself for this. but at the same time, i have met alot of people in my life that will talk down to you about music, and try to diminish you because they know more. they have an exclusive attitude. I think that these people miss the real point of what music is trying to accomplish - which is to help people relate to each other. instead they use it as a selfish vehicle to feed their own egos. i am very sorry that i have let these people make me feel nervous like this about music. but i feel that a large proportion of people use music in this way - just to make themselves feel better than other people.

so, does anyone else feel this way?
    are my feelings justified, or have i been holding myself back all this time?

i appreciate any replies guys...

feed your own ego listen to what you enjoy no matter what it is ta hell with what other peeps think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

May I suggest Personal Issues???

Advertisement