Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best value quick racer less than €1,000

• 26-05-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I cycle to work regularly on a racer bike similar to the Student Bikes' product. Its quite quick but the gears are terrible.

I would like to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme. I do not know very much about bikes and would appreciate any advice.

I cycle 9 miles to work along the N11 and need a fast durable bike.The quicker the bike the better. I know the bike will only go as fast as I can cycle. I will spend up to €1,000.00 but only if i'm getting something really special. I do not want to spend for the sake of spending so if there is cheaper alternative I'll buy that.

If you could recommend a specific bike and the bast place to purchase it I would be very grateful. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

LINK 1

Shorter answer

Just a teeny bit over e1000

Less than e1000

Personally I'd go the bit over to get the improved drivechain and better wheelset offered on the Defy 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

before we get into this are your work restricting where your buying from

if not best value prob boardman carbon from halfords or
    planet-x
    there i said it

i bought one of these last year

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Focus_Cayo_105_2010_Ltd_Edition/5360045298

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'm getting this, just waiting on the voucher to be sent to work...

Corratec Dolomiti Tiagra

Also considered a number of other bikes, but this one felt right when I tried it out.
    Bike choice will depend on your limitations through your work, and whether or not you want to buy all the accessories to go with it for under the €1000, as this will lower your budget for the actual bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where did you try it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 artois

Thanks for the feedback.

I have no real restrictions regarding where I purchase. My boss will give me a cheque/draft or EFT to pay for the bike so I have considerable flexibility.

Those bikes look very good. Will they be strong enough to survive the N11 a couple of days a week at speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

artois wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

I have no real restrictions regarding where I purchase. My boss will give me a cheque/draft or EFT to pay for the bike so I have considerable flexibility.

Those bikes look very good. Will they be strong enough to survive the N11 a couple of days a week at speed?

Depends on how long it takes to have a run-in with on of those psycho bus drivers that frequent the N11 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

http://www.kellys-bicycles.com/index.php?id=ie_product&product_id=21058&countries_id=103&countries_name=ie&cat_id=243&subcat_id=244

I bought this bike for Eur785 in Bray a few months ago. I haven't used it a lot yet but happy so far.

chakattack wrote: »
    Depends on how long it takes to have a run-in with on of those psycho bus drivers that frequent the N11 :cool:

I've already had a bit of a run with one of those N11 bus driver. I usually cycle along the bus lane (i know I shouldn't but its a lot quicker than the cycle lane). But about two weeks ago some genius bus driver thought it would be a good idea to keep slowing and speeding up to obstruct me. When I passed him at a bus he gave a few toots of his horn. It seems like fairly daft behaviour for a bus driver.

I like the look of that Kelly's bike. Are they a good make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

artois wrote: »
    I've already had a bit of a run with one of those N11 bus driver. I usually cycle along the bus lane (i know I shouldn't but its a lot quicker than the cycle lane). But about two weeks ago some genius bus driver thought it would be a good idea to keep slowing and speeding up to obstruct me. When I passed him at a bus he gave a few toots of his horn. It seems like fairly daft behaviour for a bus driver.

I like the look of that Kelly's bike. Are they a good make?

(Some) drivers on that route seem to have a big problem with cyclists. If their behaviour is dangerous or intimidating get the reg or bus number and time and report to the Gardai. Insist that they follow up straight away while CCTV footage is still available

The odd taxi driver also sounds his car horn at me. I keep well in and don't weave but the cycle lane is impracticable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I got the Kellys 3.9 back in Feburary. 1500km+ and no problems so far. I also find the fit and ride very comfortable so would recommend one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

guysmiley wrote: »
    http://www.kellys-bicycles.com/index.php?id=ie_product&product_id=21058&countries_id=103&countries_name=ie&cat_id=243&subcat_id=244

I bought this bike for Eur785 in Bray a few months ago. I haven't used it a lot yet but happy so far.

which bike shop you get it in?

ipodrocker wrote: »
    which bike shop you get it in?

Got it in Everest Cycles, Castle Street, Bray from Ken. I went in with the interntion of getting a Giant but left with the Kellys. Better bike for the money. Nothing against the big shops but I reckon you get a better level of service form the smaller well established shops like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i agree with on that one, get better chance to ask all the questions you have in smaller shops.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

chakattack wrote: »

As Andy Parsons said, "combined bus and cycle lanes- what a crap idea that is! It would be like having a path in the jungle for walkers and lions".

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

guysmiley wrote: »
    Got it in Everest Cycles, Castle Street, Bray from Ken. I went in with the interntion of getting a Giant but left with the Kellys. Better bike for the money. Nothing against the big shops but I reckon you get a better level of service form the smaller well established shops like this one.

Can you give some details of the Kelly vs the Giant and why you choose one over the other. Thx.

BostonB wrote: »
    Can you give some details of the Kelly vs the Giant and why you choose one over the other. Thx.

Well I pretty much went on the advice of Ken in the shop. He reckoned the Kellys was best value for the price range. It has full Shimano Sora gears, derailers, crankset, brakes. And Shimano Tiagra hubs. Not sure of the details of specific differences but was told the comparable Giant Defy3 has a lower spec. Also I was looking for something with only 2 gear cogs in the front as I never use the 'Granny Cog' on my old bike.

Advertisement