Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

family pet beaten to death in kerry

Options
  • 27-05-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

did anyone hear of a dog being killed while the family were out
    the dog was beaten to death
    this incident happened in kerry last friday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

All I could find was this from kerryman.ie
    Wednesday May 26 2010
    A WEST Kerry family whose beloved pet was savagely beaten to death on Friday are to leave their home following the appalling incident.

Very sad though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

*MOD NOTE* This story is quite horrible & will be upsetting for most so please on read on with caution */MOD NOTE*

I live very close to Ballyferriter where this happened.
    The dog wasnt just beaten but savagely mutilated on purpose by a rather derranged and terrrifying man with deliberate intent to force the family (who are respectable people) to move.

The details are horrific. In short (if it is okay to write this) a bar was taken from the childrens trampoline and he impaled the dog through the head with it. He then cut the dogs head from its body practically and disembowled the animal.

The remains were dragged to the family's drive way and put on display as they returned with children in the car for a birthday party at their home.

The local Gardai 'talked' to the man and the matter was being left at that.

The local outage has been tremendous. I would urge people to raise this issue as much as possible and put pressure on the Gardai to have this man arrested and charged. Words cannot express the disgust at the entire situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I feel sick after reading that.

As EGAR put it the law is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I cannot believe that this man is not facing multiple years in prison.
    What kind of country is this that leaves monsters walking free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Oh my GOD. WHY? That is utterly dispicable AND disgusting and how that is treated with such apathy by the local law enforcement is truly beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty sure there's very little that would stop me from inflicting the same kind of damage to this piece of **** if he did this to my dog. His life wouldn't be worth living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

A name and shame would be good if people where sure who the monster is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Is there not a law against cruelty to animals,
    this person should be in prison
    these children are traumatised, seeing this happen to their pet, my god
    where is the law
    please please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I hope the outrage is enough too force this scummer out of where he is living. Like in other bad cases similar to this is should not just be accepted.

We should bring back ye olde form of protest and boycott them and black list them.

I cannot beleive that this is not taken further
    how we put pressure on gardai
    would this not be something that we should be emailing the minister about,
    it is frightning

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    I hope the outrage is enough too force this scummer out of where he is living. Like in other bad cases similar to this is should not just be accepted.

We should bring back ye olde form of protest and boycott them and black list them.
    if i do not pay my tv licence
    i get fined
    this crime is 100 times worse, cruelty suffering
    why can anyone explain, is this taken so lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The only way to get the Guards to act would be to report their reluctance to prosecute to the Garda Ombudsman. They may feel that there is insufficient evidence & the victim did say on liveline that local people were unwilling or afraid to act.

Several callers raised the point that if he could do this to a dog what could he do to a human.

the dog was 11 yrs old
    and on a lead
    so could not run away to safety
    which means he came inside the property especially to kill pet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Hell is too good for someone like that, may he get every bit of karma due to him :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It was featured in tuesday's liveline on radio 1.

Joe asked the woman did she think that someone locally might have a grudge against her for some reason, but she was at a loss to think of anyone.

She claims it was an act of violence for the sake of violence, she also hinted that the locals have information but are not willing to come forward.

There would of been a load of forensic evidence especially on the pole etc. Why do I suspect that the Guards have done nothing to collect this ?. Did they collect the man's clothes to test for matching animal blood ?. There are animal protection laws but the Guards show no interest in enforcing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

fryup wrote: »
    It was featured in tuesday's liveline on radio 1.

she also hinted that the locals have information but are not willing to come forward.

Shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Jesus :( Sick B*****d. I'm actually shaking with anger reading that. I hope to God something is done about it. For the dog's sake and for the poor kids that had to see that. Evil, evil b*****d :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cooper07

Words fail me! The poor dog, what an awful, awful death.

At least he had 11 years of love.

RIP little fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

There's something really wrong with somebody who could do that, and to traumatise the children aswell . . . I'd bet he would have no problem doing that to a person if he could get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Discodog wrote: »
    There would of been a load of forensic evidence especially on the pole etc. Why do I suspect that the Guards have done nothing to collect this ?. Did they collect the man's clothes to test for matching animal blood ?. There are animal protection laws but the Guards show no interest in enforcing them.

good point, but lets face it most gaurds would shrug their shoulders when it comes to animal cruelty...its just not taken seriously in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Is there anything that can be done by the public to put pressure on the Gardaí to treat this seriously? If there are laws in place which the killer has broken then that Gardaí are in the wrong by letting this slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

That is absolutely horrible, that guy should be in a mental home. I don't care about prison sentances he should be sectioned to somewhere until doctors see it fit that he knows right from wrong (which I doubt he ever will)

Could someone make this clear to be do the gardai know who did it and talk to him or do they have suspisions and talked to someone?

I cannot believe that this man is not facing multiple years in prison.
    What kind of country is this that leaves monsters walking free?
    no law for an old dog suffering brutalitly
    i am seeing red

There is plenty of adequate law to cover this - it is not as if there is any doubt regarding the cruelty. The other worrying aspect is that it appears as of none of the locals are supporting this woman. Echoes of another "Kerry" case !.

i would say that it is a case of people being afraid to come forward, as the kind of person that did this must been known to them to be dangerous and they may be afraid for their own safety, and that of their children,

any one capabel of doing this is capable of anything, this is henious,

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I'm a bit upset by the lack of information. Journalism is not what it used to be?
    Anyway, if people are leaving your county because they are scared, you are doing something wrong as gardai, and maybe they should start an alternative carreer as chicken farmers.

General feeling from what I can gather is that the local people 'know' who did the crime but (a) feel that as he wasn't seen actually committing the act that they can't report him to the Gardai and (b) they are truely worried for their own pets and family safety.

I cannot understand why finger prints weren't taken from the pole and cross checked against the suspect. Would seem a very obvious way to clear this up and have the man charged.

The man in question and his wife do not have a great reputation locally, they relocated to Ballyferriter from the UK a few years ago, taking advantage of the benefit system here (Wife claimed single mother status, was allocated free housing and then a few months later he moved over to join them). Sums up the type of people they are really. I have dealt with his wife on occasion through work - extremely rude and volatile.

Believe me, it isn't a case of the locals hushing things up at all. More a complete and direct failure of the Gardai to push this through by utilising all the resources open to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

so if people know who he is and where he is then do they know why he did this??

• Advertisement

The only thing that I have heard of is the the dog was 'a barker' and that a field or 2 seperated their houses. I genuinely dont know anything other than that. Suspect in question does not have any livestock that the dog would have been chasing.

To think that an animal was mutilated in such a fashion for barking (and not next door even) is very disturbing.

Advertisement