Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

family pet beaten to death in kerry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I heard the dog's owner (I think) on the radio on Playback on RTÉ 1 on Saturday morning. They gave a reasonable description of what happened without going into too much detail. It sounded horrific. How somebody could do that to an animal is beyond me, and then to just leave the body out for the whole family to see is just horrendous.

And what's worse is that nobody will point out who did this or go to the guards about it. Would they have the same reaction if it was a child who was tortured and killed in this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

as she said on radio, it was a beautiful day, people going to beaches nearby, there are always people walking on fine days more so near beach, also the rent out houses there,
    i wonder does someone remember the dog crying or someone inside in the garden where they should not have been, they were also trespassing as the dog was tied up, some sort of spineless monster, hope he gets what is coming to him
    still wondering if they have caught any one for this, as the residents of the area must be frightened for their children and pets

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Apparently this guy moved from the UK. If this had happened there he would be in hiding or arrested. No village in England would accept this & people would be queueing up to give evidence. Never has the saying about good people standing by & allowing evil to prosper been more apt.

If, as previously posted, there is local outrage then it is time for those people to pull together & go to the Guards. If they have no faith in the local Gardai then they should contact the Commissioner or Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Discodog wrote: »
    Apparently this guy moved from the UK. If this had happened there he would be in hiding or arrested. No village in England would accept this & people would be queueing up to give evidence. Never has the saying about good people standing by & allowing evil to prosper been more apt.

There's a big cultural gap between ireland and the uk when it comes to animal welfare......if you report something like that to police over there they take it seriously, over here they snigger down their sleeves.

as someone said before.. why wasn't there prints taken at the sence...answer..cause the gaurds couldn't be arsed.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I really hope this isn't brushed under the carpet and the locals get together and do something about this. Have the ISPCA got involved at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

What about a more direct route and everyone ring the police station in question continuously asking why they aren't pressing charges?

they have to know who it is, as that area is very close knit being a country area.
    listning to the radio
    she lived in an old farmhouse with her two boys, this dog was of great importance to her, her security, companionship, and an old pet that wag its tail every time she arrived home from errands,
    the children must be broken, this thing happining at this age of their lives, what scars will this leave, their mom brokenhearted and will be for a long time, this scene will never leave her.
    i look at my dog and think of this happening to him, it does not bear thinking about
    this monster is a danger to the children if he can do this to an old 11 yr dog tied in its own property, my guess is that he must have some record following him, this does not come out of the blue. this is a born monster.

the sooner he is scooted out of the area the better, or better still jailed.

she was born and reared here, why should she leave where she has been for the past 12 yrs, her children have made friends there, go to the beach and it is home to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Jinxi wrote: »
    What about a more direct route and everyone ring the police station in question continuously asking why they aren't pressing charges?

Thats what I was thinking, if they get annoyed enough they might do something. So mad and upset about this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

fryup wrote: »
    There's a big cultural gap between ireland and the uk when it comes to animal welfare......if you report something like that to police over there they take it seriously, over here they snigger down their sleeves.

as someone said before.. why wasn't there prints taken at the sence...answer..cause the gaurds couldn't be arsed.:cool:

It's not just about animal welfare. It is also about sticking up for & supporting your neighbours. This man is a potential threat to everyone in the area. The attitude in a lot of rural Ireland is to not interfere & that has often resulted in bullies getting away with it.

this is what i would be thinking
    look after and stick up for that young mom and her two children at their biggest time of need
    what if she had let one of her children home, and they came on this monster doing this to the dog, would he have stuck the bar in the child
    i think so, he is dangerous,
    if it were me that knew for sure of the culprit, yes indeed i would be over to guards, and speak to this mother also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

If, as previously posted, there is local outrage then it is time for those people to pull together & go to the Guards. If they have no faith in the local Gardai then they should contact the Commissioner or Ombudsman.

I am the sister and aunt of the family in question and was told today that there was a discussion on boards about what happened to Michelle (my sister) and the boys. After reading all the posts I must thank you all for the support ye have shown and while there is little comfort in the progress of this case there is much consolation in the public outrage, horror and empathy shown towards my family.

Animal rights group ARAN have put up a €5000 reward for anyone with information leading to arrest and conviction of the monster who did this. Dougal (the dog) was a placid old dog, daft as a pair of socks, slept with the cats and caused no harm to anyone or any animal. Yes, he did have a loud bark, but he's a dog and that's what they do. If the bark was a nuisance to anyone that could have been dealt with. Actually, the dog was rarely tied up outside her house, she normally brings the dog to our parents house in Dingle when she's working cos they like his company and she's happier that he's not alone. But on this day she was only going to be gone a few hours as she was preparing for her son's birthday party. After collecting the kids from school plus a few extra for the party she returned home to that unforgettable scene.

There is much speculation about who did this locally but as yet no-one has come forward with any concrete information, but we are hopeful that someone will because this has outraged the entire community and there is no doubt that someone knows who did this. Someone must have heard poor Dougal yelp as he was attacked or saw someone on her property as it is easily seen from the road to the beach. The implement used is thought to be a stake from a dismantled trampoline but we looked in the ditches and fields but didn't find it. It probably was thrown into the tide.

Again, just like to say thank you all for keeping this story in the public domain as this is the only way that we will identify the cowardly evil person who did this. If anyone knows anything at all, no matter how small or irrelevant it may seem, please contact Dingle Garda Station 066 9151522.

Irene

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^

your sister said on liveline that she is going to leave the area, has she done so?

thanks irene
    just hoping someone will come forward to get this monster out of the midst of the people of ballyferriter,
    that dog was much loved by what i have read in your post, my wish is that the truth comes out, will pray that this monster is caught
    while he is free i worry about children and pets in that area, and also now wondering if there are others in that area whose dogs have gone missing for no reason, or cats did not return home, as this monster must like cruelty,
    if someone did come forward and lets say, they do not want anyone to know that it is them who helped in bringing this monster in, would that be a possibility for them, could they just ring the garda and give up the name of the monster, would that be enough for them, as i guess they dont want to as they may be frightened of him coming and getting them, as he would be on the loose until court day, could their name be kept out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tomybhoy

It is truly disgusting, no more to say on that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just posting a small warning on this thread.

Can we keep names and suspected names out of the thread.
    Although there hasnt been any mention of names yet the mods feel that its getting too close for comfort with mentioning the persons nationality who in a small country village could be singled out as the perpetrator of this crime.
    It could also cause problems if the case ever went to court.

i agree, names cannot be mentioned,
    but if anyone out there know for certain or has seen someone in garden or near house on that day at times mentioned on the radio, please ring the police and get the monster where he belong
    everyone is suspect until this person is caught.
    for the saftey of people and children

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

You would want to be some form of subhuman b**tard to do that to a dog. I really hope this person is caught and if anybody has any info as to who it is I would hope they pass it on to the gardai. I have 2 dogs and if that happened to either of them I think I would kill the person if I found out who it was.

I am just utterly disgusted at this world sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

So sorry for what happened to your sister and the kids Irene. RIP Dougal, I hope to God this person is caught and punished. Hope the kids are doing okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just posting a small warning on this thread.

Can we keep names and suspected names out of the thread.
    Although there hasnt been any mention of names yet the mods feel that its getting too close for comfort with mentioning the persons nationality who in a small country village could be singled out as the perpetrator of this crime.
    It could also cause problems if the case ever went to court.

I agree totally and also would like to add that nationality or race has nothing to do with this. Please do refrain from spreading rumours that may affect this small community, like I said investigations are on going and NO ONE has been charged yet. Anyone who is speculating on this thread is doing so without our support and their content is totally unfounded.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

greine wrote: »
    I agree totally and also would like to add that nationality or race has nothing to do with this.

I wasnt making the point about nationality--that has nothing to do with the case in question--the point I was making is that there was speculation from some users that the person was from the UK and in a small rural village its not too hard to spot an "outsider" so to speak even if that outsider is from say Dublin.

The other side of this is that there may be more than one "outsider" who could be the victim of intimidation just because they are of the same nationality as the supposed person that carried out the crime.

• Advertisement

i find this has had an impact on me,
    as yesterday i was going away for the day with friends, i called to collect them at their house, there was a dog very much like the one they had old just like it, i asked them if they were putting their dog in for safety, they asked why, i said remember the poor dog that looked like this one that died the most terrible cruel callous death at the hands of some idle monster.
    that was something i had never done

i would not place blame on anyone until the culprit is caught, it might surprise the lot of us.
    but then again cannot think what kind of parasite would do this cruel deed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's not just about animal welfare. It is also about sticking up for & supporting your neighbours. This man is a potential threat to everyone in the area. The attitude in a lot of rural Ireland is to not interfere & that has often resulted in bullies getting away with it.

Amen to this; once more how right you are.

We are now getting active agression from the man who had the pony locked up six months; this morning he has thrown a bucket at me and threatened me with violence. I saw him coming and had the Gardai on the phone when he came nearer so they heard every word he said, every threat.

All they did was warn him and tell me not to go near him. "We don't really want to take this to court."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Graces7 wrote: »
    Amen to this; once more how right you are.

We are now getting active agression from the man who had the pony locked up six months; this morning he has thrown a bucket at me and threatened me with violence. I saw him coming and had the Gardai on the phone when he came nearer so they heard every word he said, every threat.

All they did was warn him and tell me not to go near him. "We don't really want to take this to court."

That's awful. I hope it is just threats, I'd be very scared of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

morganafay wrote: »
    That's awful. I hope it is just threats, I'd be very scared of him.

Thank you...

No, not just threats. yesterday we had a visit from the owner of this rented cottage, telling us he needs it now to live in and giving us 4 weeks notice.

We have no doubt that this man is behind this and has spread lies about us to the owner.

Another of these close knit communities of course.

He cannot legally evict us of course as we have a lease, but we are now house hunting of course. Exhausting business. I am old with health issues,and this is too much.

The Gardai arrived in three minutes flat thankfully. By then he had called all his mates and cars were streaming in.. the Garda watched and said he did not like that.

The words of Discodog keep echoing in my mind.. that if you live in rural Ireland and care about animals, then you cannot be on good terms with your neighbours.

Please God we find somewhere decent now.....

But what can anyone do when there is this abuse going on?

And when the "official" channels do nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

I am just seeing this now. Absolutely sickening and horrific for the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

Vigilante Justice. I don't condone it, but i understand ;)

Dioza wrote: »
    Vigilante Justice. I don't condone it, but i understand ;)
    has there been any update on this.
    have the police caught the monster who brutally killed the dog yet

Advertisement