Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest* Human may have been Cannibalistic

Options
  • 27-05-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

They say you can choose your friends but not your relatives. In that case it may come as a disappointment that we can't disown this one; a cannibalistic fire starting midget! It was probably not the direct ancestor of modern humans, but rather that one cousin nobody wants to sit next to at Christmas dinner. Please welcome to the family Homo gautengensis!
    Along with the burned bones of a prehuman of the genus Paranthropus found in the same cave, the marks suggest that "hominin was certainly on the menu of Homo gautengensis," Curnoe added.

But H. gautengensis wasn't exclusively carnivorous. The new species had teeth apparently adapted for eating plant material that looks to have required plenty of chewing, according to the study, soon to be published in the human-biology journal HOMO.

Read all about the little freak here.

new-homo-gautengensis-human-ancestor_20941_600x450.jpg

*When I say 'oldest' I mean the oldest to be described so far. Others have been found which are even older, but have yet to be officially described yet.

Side note: anyone think I'd get abuse for reading the journal titled 'HOMO' on the train?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

It's just a phase they were going through.

Advertisement