Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transporting a bike

• 27-05-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at transporting a bike in a van from the UK

I'm thinking of using a paddock stand to the rear and then using a few ratchet straps to keep it in place, and some Styrofoam insulation to protect it as well.

is there anything else i should be aware of ??

ie. how many and where i should attach the ratchet straps.. all advice welcome

(bike in question would be a bmw f800s)
    (still looking about on autotrader..but want to be prepared)

edit: advice on type of paddock stand would be welcomed as well

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pillion grab handles for one set of straps anyway, provided they're sturdy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

have the bike pushed up against the bulkhead of the van
    get some rope/rubberbands to tie the front brake lever closed
    then I'd ratchet off the wheels/forks/swingarm, aiming to have the bike pushed down, and into the bulkhead. Possibly one across the seat, but be careful that the strap doesnt ruin any bodywork (styrofoam a good idea, maybe use an old bit of carpet too)

dunno if having it up on a paddock stand is a good idea - the straps may have a tendency to pull it off, and the bike may rock off it while driving / braking. No problem just with the sidestand imo

again all in my opinion, mileage may vary! def recommend stopping after a few miles initially, to see if any weights shifted and to tighten up the straps again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

cheers for the info guys

Just a matter of waiting for the exchange rate to become a bit more favourable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

It would'nt hurt to stick it in gear, say 2nd to stop forward momentum, its just a little extra insurance and I have found it useful in the past. This is of course in addition to tying it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Dont transport the bike on a paddock stand.
    Just put it on sidestand in gear with front wheel up to bulkhead.
    Put a tie wrap on the front brake to stop forward or reverse movement.
    If you have hooks on floor, just throw a rachet strap across the saddle (put a bit of carpet or old rags under strap to protect bodywork) An old pillow or cushion between the bike and side of van will protect the side of van.

if you traveled by boat, the bike is just held down by a rachet strap thrown across the saddle to hooks on the floor..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a pair of these: Bike Grab

that, and some straps as described, would see you right.

But you do know that the cost of over/back in a van, is far more than going over on bus/train/plane, and just riding it back ?

Anyhoo - what part of the country are you in ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

When I have had to put my Harley (a heavy bike) in a pickup or trailer, I have always just used 2 heavy duty ratchets, one one each side of the handle bars.

Tightened down so that the front suspension is as compressed as possible, I have never had an issue with the bike budging an inch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pkiernan wrote: »
    When I have had to put my Harley (a heavy bike) in a pickup or trailer

must...

resist...

harley joke :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Reverse the bike into the van and set it on it's sidestand against the side of the van which should be well padded. It only takes minimal tying down then.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    must...

resist...

harley joke :p

I knew I was putting myself at risk with my post!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Tightened down so that the front suspension is as compressed as possible, I have never had an issue with the bike budging an inch.

Would that not risk damaging the suspension or burst the fork seals?

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Would that not risk damaging the suspension or burst the fork seals?

I didn't have any issues with it.

Same when I trailered 2 dirt bikes about 300 miles - just the fronts were tied down.

Also, we brought quad bikes down unbelieveable terrain in 4x4's to our campsite in the mountains. Just ratchetted down eaach corner, they go no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have a pair of these: Bike Grab

But you do know that the cost of over/back in a van, is far more than going over on bus/train/plane, and just riding it back ?

Anyhoo - what part of the country are you in ?

In cork..
    I know a guy who will be going over to bring back a van or two.. So i'll prob fly over with him, and put the bike in the back of his van..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I recently got a bike delivered to Holyhead. The delivery man had loads of old sofa cushions all over the van.

My bike was resting against the side of the van with a few cushions between it and the van, with some more cushions between the bike and the tie downs. He also had an old Honda Cub the same way.

I never noticed if he had it in gear or how it was tied down. He did use ratchet straps but I didn't pay any attention to them as I was too busy looking at my new bike!

When he took it out I made sure that their was no damage and it was perfect.

Advertisement