Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

well apparently it will happen and will blow all the volcanic ash crap back in this direction and it will be all fun and games again in the air this sep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100526/twl-uk-storm-hurricanes-forecast-a7cf3b4.html

in light of the discussion in the other thread it really will be interesting to see do we see a significant change in our weather pattern come early September.
    on a lighter note nacho,how far down the alaphabet of names for hurricanes will they get,as a ramdom guess id but my money on "E"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

peanuthead wrote: »
    well apparently it will happen and will blow all the volcanic ash crap back in this direction and it will be all fun and games again in the air this sep!!

Not if its not erupting it won't . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Not if its not erupting it won't . ..

Yes, thats true, but from what I hear it is still erupting at the minute and it is not known when it will stop. I also heard that the last time it erupted it did so for 20 years.

I say 'from what I hear' as it doesn't really hold my interest as I have no trips planned, so therefore I'm not keeping up with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100526/twl-uk-storm-hurricanes-forecast-a7cf3b4.html

in light of the discussion in the other thread it really will be interesting to see do we see a significant change in our weather pattern come early September.

Let's hope we get hit by a couple this year. Would be great to experience a storm like Debbie that hit in the 60's.

115144.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm not sure grace7 would agree;)

I'd love to see a storm as well it has been too long...

By the way what year was it that 13 Irish people died due to a storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Seeing as the 2010 season starts tomorrow, here's the list of names for the Atlantic. (We've already got TS Agatha since the weekend, but it started in the Pacific and headed through Guatemala, entering the Caribbean and heading for Florida tomorrow)

Your opener for 10: On what date will Alex be named?
    I say June 11th

Alex
    Bonnie
    Colin
    Danielle
    Earl
    Fiona
    Gaston
    Hermine
    Igor
    Julia
    Karl
    Lisa
    Matthew
    Nicole
    Otto
    Paula
    Richard
    Shary
    Tomas
    Virginie
    Walter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

June 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

June 9th.

Id guess June 14th , 1800 hrs for Alex ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

June is usually a quiet month for tropical storms/hurricanes. Chances are we won't see a named storm till the second half of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Isn't there an Agatha already???I though there was a tropical storm agatha in the carribean at the moment.

Isn't there an Agatha already???I though there was a tropical storm agatha in the carribean at the moment.

That formed in the pacific so its not part of the atlantic hurricane season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Sea temps are ripe for a hectic season.

satsst.neqatl.d-00.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

The ECM has a storm centred over the oil leak next week:o May not happen but sooner or later all that oil is going to be washed ashore by a hurricane.

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!216!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2010062100!!chart.gif

Serious looking storm but thats a long way off, chances are it won't come to pass, but worth keeping an eye on to see if the ECM has picked up on something.

Other models picking up on it now. NHC says 50% chance of TC within the next 48 hours.

06zearly.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I find this website very good for following hurricanes in the atlantic and pacific

www.stormpulse.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

The nhc has got a 60 percent chance of a tropical storm to hit the Yucatan peninsula in the next48hrs. Could that storm track north into the oily gulf after it hits Yucatan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The first tropical depression of the 2010 Atlantic hurricane season appears imminent in the Western Caribbean, as the areal coverage and intensity of heavy thunderstorm activity associated with the tropical wave (Invest 93L) continue to increase. The storm has developed a surface circulation near 16.5N, 82.5W at 8am EDT, about 100 miles northeast of the Nicaragua/Honduras border. This is far enough from land that development will be slowed only slightly.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1517
    118063.jpg

We should have TD1 or maybe even Tropical Storm Alex within the next hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Two hurricanes in the East Pacific

Celia
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep4.shtml?5-daynl#contents
    Darby
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep5.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Darby looks set to do a merry jig southwest of Central America.

Invest 96 could be bigger threat.

at201096_sat.jpg

at201096_model.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Never mind the pacific, its near hurricane status here in donegal right now lol

Tropics are coming alive now...

2n1aujr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

In Cancun at the moment... Nothing to report as of yet... The news / weather channels over here are [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL]...

Invest 95 is after picking up dramatically and could develop into a tropical depression soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Looks like Bonnie will follow a very similar path that Alex took. This could cause some serious flooding.

Advertisement