Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TRIUMPH rides high . . .

• 27-05-2010 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/may/23/triumph-overtakes-honda-britain < LINK

Triumph rides high as UK bestseller takes on Harley-Davidson

Triumph-Thunderbird-006.jpg

Triumph Motorcycles overtakes Honda as Britain's top bike over 500cc and sets its sights on Harley-Davidson's heartland.

The Leicestershire-based bike maker has revealed that booming sales in April made its brand the best-selling in Britain in the over-500cc sector,
    overtaking Honda. It wants to make that ranking permanent this year as it continues to increase its market share following record UK sales in 2009.

Riding high in the UK, Europe, The States, Australia & New Zealand > (but not in Ireland) Why's that then ???

Yours curious :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Camelot wrote: »

Riding high in the UK, Europe, The States, Australia & New Zealand > (but not in Ireland) Why's that then ???

IMHO, it's simple: Finance. Here, you won't get it. In the UK, Triumph will provide finance direct, to sell their product, through Blackhorse finance.

And, from a practical point of view, you can buy almost any brand of bike, from any local bike shop, across Ireland, and get local service.

Triumph is based in Dublin, and that's great for the Pale dwellers, but people aren't going to travel from Kerry or Donegal or Galway to Dublin, esp say, for a service.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

reckon its only going to get better for Triumph over here - got an official place in Cork, Dublin, and one up north

Triumph sold more units in the UK then Kawasaki last year, so forth biggest brand :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Gotta get a Thruxton, sexy little cafe racer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Wossack wrote: »
    reckon its only going to get better for Triumph over here - got an official place in Cork, Dublin, and one up north

2008 - the only southern dealer was the 'shop with the big windows', emailed (have proof) them for a price, they never replied so my best option was to get my Bonnie from McCallens up d'North (2009 update - said 'shop with the big windows' have since lost the Triumph franchise)

Have the bike two years last monday and still lovin it ;)

Nodster wrote: »
    2008 - the only southern dealer was the 'shop with the big windows', emailed (have proof) them for a price, they never replied so my best option was to get my Bonnie from McCallens up d'North (2009 update - said 'shop with the big windows' have since lost the Triumph franchise)

Nice.

Was in their new place beside HD, nice place. Thruxton waiting for me to test ride as soon as I pass my test :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ditto! Have my Street just over 2 years - down from Phillip McCallens too :p

I will have a speed triple some day :cool: Had a test ride on one here in Cork and I've been wanting one since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The best bikes Triumph ever made were pre unit construction twins, all their modern stuff is Jap imitated or American styled rubbish :D

DSC01241.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

The best bikes Triumph ever made were pre unit construction twins, all their modern stuff is Jap imitated or American styled rubbish :D

DSC01241.JPG

Agreed.:(
    Those were the days! Still fetch a pretty penny........... if you can get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Rubbish mr. hills.
    Piffle and tripe!

Me and my 900 sprint would have you anyday!! ( as long as you're not any good or on anything quicker:o)

:p

New mcn has the new sprint gt on the cover.
    Need a lotto win.....

• Advertisement

No no no, this is the Triumph you want :p

2009_Triumph_Thruxton_ohlins.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

. . . . . . . . . No no no, this is the Triumph you want :)

146_0606_01_z+2006_triumph_daytona_675+black_right_track.jpg

..................................... Smokin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Camelot wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/may/23/triumph-overtakes-honda-britain < LINK

Triumph rides high as UK bestseller takes on Harley-Davidson

Triumph-Thunderbird-006.jpg

Triumph Motorcycles overtakes Honda as Britain's top bike over 500cc and sets its sights on Harley-Davidson's heartland.

The Leicestershire-based bike maker has revealed that booming sales in April made its brand the best-selling in Britain in the over-500cc sector,
    overtaking Honda. It wants to make that ranking permanent this year as it continues to increase its market share following record UK sales in 2009.

Firstly, great bike and great to see them making a comeback.

Not trying to be pedantic or throwing in a put down, but as you say riding high in Europe - of which Ireland is of course a member of. It's not surprising their selling well Britain. But the web link does not give any break down of the figures for each EU country, whose to say that Triumph's sales are not higher in Ireland in proportion to Holland or Germany ? ( Which I would say they are higher here ).

Also there is the rate of the euro and pound to the Yen. Surely BMW, Aprilia and Ducati have improved against the Japs, USA or UK in the eurozone at the moment ?

Regardless, good to see them back and if I win the lotto a Triumph will probably be one of the first things I get :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My first bike was a Triumph Tiger cub, second 3TA, then a Thunderbolt 650 Unit Construction. Japanese bikes were considered like arses back then because everyone had one. I hope triumph don't follow this trend. :p
    Rubbish mr. hills.
    Piffle and tripe!

Me and my 900 sprint would have you anyday!! ( as long as you're not any good or on anything quicker:o)

:p

New mcn has the new sprint gt on the cover.
    Need a lotto win.....
    I will challange you on my GSXR 750J Slingshot....through Dublin city rush hour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Harleyfatbob

galwaytt wrote: »
    IMHO, it's simple: Finance. Here, you won't get it. In the UK, Triumph will provide finance direct, to sell their product, through Blackhorse finance.

And, from a practical point of view, you can buy almost any brand of bike, from any local bike shop, across Ireland, and get local service.

Triumph is based in Dublin, and that's great for the Pale dwellers, but people aren't going to travel from Kerry or Donegal or Galway to Dublin, esp say, for a service.

There is Triumph Cork as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,446 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Triumph is based in Dublin, and that's great for the Pale dwellers

Wrong.
    I'm a Triumph owner and far from happy with the carry-on of the 'shop with big windows' who even refused to service my Triumph because I'd bought it privately, and not from them...!???!?
    Triumphs are great bikes, buy privately (lots of great value bikes available in the UK and importing is easy) and get your spares on the internet from Jack Lilleys.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,446 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

said 'shop with the big windows' have since lost the Triumph franchise)

Really? This can only be good news for fans of the marque...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

DSC01241.JPG

Those Triumphs were only good, then, and for a very short period. After WW2, when the rest of the world went back to manufacturing, what did Triumph & Co do ? they dug up pre-war, worn-out tooling........and continued to use them for another 20, 30, 40 years.........meanwhile the rest of the world started with new tooling and machinery..........you don't see '50's BeeEmms' puking their guts out. Or DKW's........

And that's ignoring technology. Like, say, lights. :rolleyes:

And, lest you think I'm doing this as hearsay, bear in mind when I met Mrs Gtt she was a bonafide T100P rider, and then a 3TA. It took 5 (long, long, years...) but eventually, we were rid of. I got absolutely sick and tired of a machine that wouldn't run/light/keep oil in for anything more than a half-an-hour...
    There is Triumph Cork as well
    Thanks for the correction - it's good to know, as I'd go South before East, anytime ! :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks for the correction - it's good to know, as I'd go South before East, anytime ! :)

The triumph shop in cork is literally 2 minutes down the road from my house, bought a few rizoma bits and pieces off them and had a few test rides. Sound people to deal with.

Advertisement