Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nice campsites between Cherbourg and Caen (or even Tours/Le Mans) ?

• 27-05-2010 7:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all, planning trip to France soon.
    We want to move from Cherbourg as fast as possible, but don't want to be driving too long either first evening as ferry gets in at 4.30pm and we've small kiddies with us.
    Any nice campsites you know of between Cherbourg and Caen, or possibly a bit further than Caen on the way down to Tours/LeMans ?

My head is ready to explode from looking online, have spotted one or two, but thinking campers experience probably better than any site on the net.

Not really going for the Normandy beaches campsites, we'll do them on way back.

Something more inland, but nice for kiddies.

Between Caen and Alencon, Falaise, that road, would be ideal.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The only two that I can think of are www.lecormoran.com, about an hour from Cherburgh on the coast.
    The other is Camping Municipal du Bayeux, it's a municipal site and has the basics. There's a few shops nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

We will be staying here our first night:

http://www.anse-du-brick.com/

We are arriving at 4.30 also and its only 10 minutes away from Cherbourg (our plan is to go back into Cherbourg the next day and see the aquarium which looks brill). Our thinking is that by the time we get off the ferry and go to the supermarket it will be near 6pm! So want somewhere close.

Might be too close for you, but it looks good for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Dinkie wrote: »
    Hi,

We will be staying here our first night:

http://www.anse-du-brick.com/

We are arriving at 4.30 also and its only 10 minutes away from Cherbourg (our plan is to go back into Cherbourg the next day and see the aquarium which looks brill). Our thinking is that by the time we get off the ferry and go to the supermarket it will be near 6pm! So want somewhere close.

Might be too close for you, but it looks good for kids.

The aquarium is excellent and well worth while, as is the submarine tour. There's free overnight parking right beside the aquarium and lovely spot to watch the boats come and go. Restaurants etc all within a ten minute walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks Stapeler and Dinkie, that's good to know for another time. I had spotted the Cormoran allright.
    We were thinking of going to the supermarket in Caen or Le Mans the next day, that will be our lunchtime stop en route, and making do with our own supplies and some small convenience shop the first night, so we're aiming to get a bit further away than the beaches.

There's a site that seems nice outside of Caen, Chateau de Martragny, but if I could find something on the other side, more towards Alencon, that would be even better.

Ah well, we'll just try one and I can share the experience for other askers on here someday :D

Advertisement