Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin 305 versus 500

• 27-05-2010 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

My Garmin 305 screen is cracked. Not sure why.
    What are the main differences between it and the 500.

The 500 is cheaper but I am not sure why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VanZant

Haven't got either myself (although might go for a 500) but you can compare these on the Garmin site, although 305 only appears if you set your location in US:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=160&compareProduct=36728&compareProduct=331

Differences seem small enough although might be important to you.
    Routes and Waypoints/favourites are available on 305 but not 500.
    500 is lighter and they claim battery lasts up to 18 hours against 12 for the 305.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ROK ON wrote: »
    The 500 is cheaper but I am not sure why?

Perhaps Garmin don't want you to buy it.

If the 500 suffers from fewer warranty (or out of warranty) returns, then it would make sense for Garmin to guide buyers towards the newer product whilst switching production capacity. They can mop up any remaining 305s as replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Never used a 305, but I'm a big fan of my 500. I've only done about 2000km with it but I'm impressed. It's neat, robust and so far hasn't put a foot wrong. From the many, many accounts I've read and heard of 305s and 705s flaking out, leaping from their mounts or just refusing to cooperate the 500 seems more reliable.

It does everything the 305 does except waypoints. I don't know what a waypoint is, no I'm assuming I don't need it. I does have the same folllow-the-bread-crumbs route/course function, but no maps - just like the 305.

The big difference is ANT+. If you ever plan on getting a powermeter then the 500 is ready for it, and it's full of functions for recording and displaying power data (which pekes my appetite for a Powertap everytime I reconfigure menus etc.).

You can get em' in gray and black if the blue would clash with your steed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

305 has been discontinued but is probably still available in shops. Personally I'd go for the 500 - a lot smaller and lighter, greater battery life etc. A few features have been removed but nothing I ever used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

go for the 500 bundle , all the toys on it .i got mine set up to the lap top last nite .

its great to see heart rate/speed on a 14% gradient on the 9 stones last sunday .

i bought it in waterford they have one back ,with a problem .garmin replaced it quickley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thanks for replies. Sorted and ordered.
    Presuming my existing HR belt works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If the 500 is cheaper I would certainly go for that. It is missing a few things from the 305 but nothing major I don't think. The extras it has (size, battery life, calories from HR, temperature, power meter integration) would certainly make up for it.

Existing HR belt should be fine.

Garmin have a no-fault out of warranty replacement policy where they replace your broken 305 for something like £60. I've used it myself when I have crashed and smashed my Garmin. I'd suggest it is worth your while but if you don't want to take up the offer I'd appreciate your cracked 305 as I could do with a spare at that price (for when I next need to send my 705 back :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

I have a 305 that's a bit flaky, it works ok until I'm on a bad (=regular Irish) road surface, then it powers off when it hits a bump. I used it on my road and mountain bikes, and it's taken a few decent hops of the ground (along with myself), so that's why it's not working properly. I don't think I'll send it back to get repaired, so you can have it if you want.

If you cycle on perfectly smooth road surfaces, you won't even need to get it repaired :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Liking the 500 so far, the screen can be quite difficult to read in sunny conditions though. For a comprehensive review that covers every aspect and has lots of the functions explained in detail (with some good "on the road" photos):

Review

Screen glare:

IMGP8424_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I lost mine out mountain biking so beware, the holder is quite poor. (Someone found it though, thanks madmtb)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@Dirk- if the 500 monochrome screen is anything like the 305 it is a LOT easier to read in the sun than the colour screen on the 705.

@ob- if you are giving it away I will gladly take it and cover your postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think a lot of it depends on how many fields are on display. However, the screen is still more difficult to read than my polar. I dunno, it seems to be set deeper into the unit.

It's not a dealbreaker by any means, just a minor annoyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

The 305 has a fantastic screen where you can follow a breadcrumb trail and still have one or two data fields up - I'd like this a lot as I spend a lot of time following breadcrumb trails.

Does the 500 have this? My reading of the manual suggested it was a no. Can anyone confirm?

Advertisement