Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning the Fiddle

• 27-05-2010 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im thinking about learning the fiddle. I was just wondering .. is it hard? I mean can you learn it yourself or would I have to go get lessons.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

It is hard but what an instrument!

You really are better off taking lessons. You'll pick up bad habits that may require you to re-learn your technique later. Much better to get off on a solid footing + with lessons you'll have something to work towards each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I would highly reccomend starting off learning classical and then do the traditional. Thats what I did. It helped me so much by learning it classically. The theoery is very very useful aswell. To be honest I would not start off with a ceoltas. It is much better to go there once you know how to play the instrument, rather than starting off there. They are fantastic players but I havem found that they aren't great at teaching a beginnner.

EDIT - I am just assuming you want to trad. because of the thread title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Take lessons, the technique is far more intricate at the basic level than say, guitar. It would be very tough to teach yourself correct bowing, fingering etc. No frets means you'd need someone to show you where to put your fingers if nothing else.

Totally agree about learning classical first. Get the proper technique down, then play trad stuff, the speed makes even easy songs quite hard. I moved from classical to trad and it took a fair bit of work to build up proper speed on a lot of songs, despite playing for about 8 years. Always had lessons, I really couldn't have gotten it right without them.

The right teacher is important too though. I went to Dun Laoghaire music school and had some brilliant teachers there. Pricey, but if you're serious about the instrument, well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭500x

Hi,

I think the advice you've received so far is excellent.

If you can find a good classical tutor who will teach you a combination of technique and theory, you'll have struck gold. Moving from a classical style to a traditional style may prove easier than going the other way round. Of course, this is not an exacting science – history has proven that – but I think most might find it less of a challenge given the strong theoretical background classical training will afford.

When starting to play the violin, there are very basic things you should try to get right straight away. For example, a good bow hand, accurate finger placement, and an optimal playing position. These are the things an experienced tutor will be able to show you... And believe me, these basics will shape your playing for as long as you play the violin (hopefully, for life!).

Also, I guess without tuition, you may get in to bad habits from the get-go... and we all know how hard they are to shake.

Later on your learning journey, inevitably you'll develop your own playing style... but getting pointers from a good tutor regarding development, ornamentation, and the application of other musical theory etc is invaluable.

So, to sum up... I think a good tutor will set you on the road properly, and when you're there you will improve and develop more quickly within a controlled environment. Without a tutor, you could easily take a wrong turn or end up frustrating yourself... and your listeners (a badly played violin is hard on the old ears!).

Naturally, there are exceptions to all theories around training, and there are genius musicians in the world who can pick any instrument up and excel without any guidance. Unfortunately, talents like this are few and far between.

Best wishes and good luck!

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭500x

I needn't have bothered, it looks like I copied landsleaving's message word for word! We must've been typing at the same time.:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

500x wrote: »
    I needn't have bothered, it looks like I copied landsleaving's message word for word! We must've been typing at the same time.:-)

Great minds and all that ;)

Advertisement