Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

broadband in newtownmountkennedy

• 27-05-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can anyone recommend a good broadband service in Newtownmountkennedy area?
    I am currently with Eircom and my 24mb broadband is running 9mb despite numerous phonecalls to them.
    I am going to change, but rang UPC and they don't have broadband here :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

No matter what, you'll still be on Eircom hardware...but maybe those companies will push the issue with urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking of switching to Vodafone, I have had it up to my ears with Eircom now at this stage and the so called customer service where they don't even understand what you are saying to them!

So I have decided I would change, would of preferred UPC as I have no need for a landline telephone, but if I have to keep it and move from Eircom I will.

Just wanted to see if there were any other broadband providers up here, besides the 3g ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're getting 9mb over your phoneline now, you are not likely to get any more with another provider. It's "up to" 24Mb - the DSL technology adapts to the specifics of your phoneline (quality of the copper, distance from the exchange) and picks the highest data-rate that it can sustain reliably. You'd need to be living next door to the exchange to get 24Mb. 9Mb is actually not too bad. Other ISPs are probably cheaper though.

loyatemu wrote: »
    if you're getting 9mb over your phoneline now, you are not likely to get any more with another provider. It's "up to" 24Mb - the DSL technology adapts to the specifics of your phoneline (quality of the copper, distance from the exchange) and picks the highest data-rate that it can sustain reliably. You'd need to be living next door to the exchange to get 24Mb. 9Mb is actually not too bad. Other ISPs are probably cheaper though.

This is true. We have a "3MB" connection at home. Speed tests would state otherwise. 2.6MB is what we achieve.

Could you put up your connection stats, via the browser page of your router, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

This is all well and good but according to Eircom I should be getting a lot more.
    Now I myself think the modem they sent me is a bit dodgy, I lose connection at times.
    There is a big difference between 24mb and 9, I was previously on the 7mb broadband and getting 6.5 or thereabouts which I thought was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

red_bairn wrote: »
    This is true. We have a "3MB" connection at home. Speed tests would state otherwise. 2.6MB is what we achieve.

Could you put up your connection stats, via the browser page of your router, please?

protocol overheads use up some of the capacity - 2.6 is about the most you'll get on a 3Mb connection.
    This is all well and good but according to Eircom I should be getting a lot more.
    Now I myself think the modem they sent me is a bit dodgy, I lose connection at times.
    There is a big difference between 24mb and 9, I was previously on the 7mb broadband and getting 6.5 or thereabouts which I thought was good.

there is a big difference between 24 and 9 but I've rarely heard of anyone getting into double figures on ADSL, let alone 20+. According to this graph you would need to be under 3km (copper-line length) from the exchange to get over 10Mb but thats under ideal conditions, Eircom's copper network is a bit of a mess and probably quite lossy.

ADSL Rate vs Distance graph:

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I moved over to Vodafone when BT 'sold' their customers to Vodafone. I haven't had any problems but I'd recommend you check out the Vodafone forum before making any decisions. Some people appear to have awful trouble with them.

Getting 9Mb is actually really good. I know it's a case of 'I bought 24 so I expect 24', you need to factor in the network, the contention rate, distance from the exchage (although the last one shouldn't be a problem).

I've yet to hear of anyone getting above 10Mb. 24Mb refers to the potential not the delivered product.

ADSL Rate vs Distance graph:

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

I was about 35 on Line Attenuation with the 3mb d/l.

...newtown is 9.6km away from me....

whereabouts is our nearest exchange?

The connection here in South Korea is terrible (sharing with a dozen otehr people in this apartment block and only receiving 100dl/20ul...;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Might want to check if wicklowbroadband.ie covers your area. It's €40/month and very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Forgot to mention, it's a microwave link so no worries about phonelines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I guess it is true about the real internet making it to Newtown...

OP Check out mobile broadband.You can get trials with some companies I think, If it works where you live then you will be laughing.

Advertisement