Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting my dog spayed (how to do it on the cheap)

• 27-05-2010 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

What are peoples view on this:

I need to get our 1 year old dog spayed next week. The normal price is about €140 however if you manage to bring along a pensioner or unemployed person and pretend it's their dog you only have to pay €20. I am getting the wife to ask her Dad who is 68 to come along to the vets and let on its his dog. What do you think people, is this morally wrong of me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

dclane wrote: »

I need to get our 1 year old dog spayed next week. The normal price is about €140 however if you manage to bring along a pensioner or unemployed person and pretend it's their dog you only have to pay €20. I am getting the wife to ask her Dad who is 68 to come along to the vets and let on he is a dog. What do you think people, is this morally wrong of me?

Not very fair on her Dad if you ask me. I know he won't be at much at 68 but still. For the sake of a few euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I am getting the wife to ask her Dad who is 68 to come along to the vets and let on its his dog

His joy at a man of your largess marrying his daughter must be unbounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

well, its not actually reduced cost. the balance is covered by a charity.
    http://www.dogstrust.ie/neutering/

so, unless your the kind of person who parks the Jag around the corner before picking up the kids presents in the St Vincent de Paul, just pay the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I need to get our 1 year old dog spayed next week. What do you think people, is this morally wrong of me?

Yeah it's morally wrong alright. Just take care off your dog properly and lock her up while she's on heat to stop male dogs sniffing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

subway wrote: »

www.DogsTrust.ie
    I can't see them being too trusting after you've taken their ovaries out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

While your at it, get yourself spayed, ya cheapo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah it's morally wrong alright. Just take care off your dog properly and lock her up while she's on heat to stop male dogs sniffing around
    100% disagree (apart from it being morally wrong to steal from a charity, I agree with that).

Just pay the money and get her spayed. A friend of mine took the 'ah, I'll just lock her up' option and his poor dog has recently had to have a serious operation because of pyometria. My parents didn't bother getting their bitch spayed either and wound up with unwanted litters after males scaled a 7' wall.

Get the dog neutered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just pay the money!

When my dog went into heat for the first time every other dog in the area went mental. We couldn't bring her out for walks and if she had gotten out somehow she would have been in a lot of trouble with males attacking her.

We got her spayed and it was so worth it, because she's safer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

get the dog spayed then quickly pick it up off the operating table and do a runner. Old man Whithers (the wife's dad) can keep the engine running for a quick getaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

if it's just to change his colour, a tin of spray paint is cheap enough, i have a bright orange poodle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm sure the dog wouldn't approve. I know what I would say if I was a dog and someone tried neuter or spay me :
    woof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Dont see the problem myself. Plenty of places do it alot cheaper than €140 (thats just a private practice charge) so dont see the harm if it benefits the dog in the end!

You could give a donation on top (if ye felt like it ;))!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Just wear pointy shoes and take a good run at her......foolproof.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I volunteer in dog rehoming and i'd plead with you to pay the money. Money is ridculously tight in these places and we've constantly had to make choices about what dogs can get the treatment they need due to funds...

What about the blue cross who do be around tallaght in thier 'vet van' each week? They work on donation basis and might do it for u? (i've seen them stitch up animals before)

theTinker wrote: »
    I volunteer in dog rehoming and i'd plead with you to pay the money. Money is ridculously tight in these places and we've constantly had to make choices about what dogs can get the treatment they need due to funds...
    If hes being charged €140 it sounds like the OP has not gone to a charity but a private practice to get the op done and the OAP reduction is what alot of places offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The whole spaying thing should really be free though.
    The alternative strain on charities of having an unwanted litter to put down surely offsets the OP's charity fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

anniehoo wrote: »
    If hes being charged €140 it sounds like the OP has not gone to a charity but a private practice to get the op done and the OAP reduction is what alot of places offer.
    did you read my link about where the money comes from?
    Simply take along some proof of your benefit when taking the dog in to be neutered at a participating surgery and the vet will only charge you €20. The rest of the cost will be settled by Dogs Trust directly with the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Coat hanger, plastic bags, ice and a brick.

Sorted.

j/k. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Dont see the problem myself. Plenty of places do it alot cheaper than €140 (thats just a private practice charge) so dont see the harm if it benefits the dog in the end!

You could give a donation on top (if ye felt like it ;))!

Thanks anniehoo, that's exactly what I was going to do. It just seems excessive for having to pay that amount out in one go. I will jsut try and find a cheaper practice to get her done in.

stovelid wrote: »
    His joy at a man of your largess marrying his daughter must be unbounded.

He would actually appreciate me not spending out unnecessary money which I do not really have. What's your answer? Drown the puppies in a sack down the end of your garden?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

He would actually appreciate me not spending out unnecessary money which I do not really have. What's your answer? Drown the puppies in a sack down the end of your garden?

Don't take this the wrong way but what exactly are you doing with a dog if you think getting her spayed is paying out unnecessary money?

If you don't have it to pay then go into your welfare office & look for assistance, they have some kind of a scheme there for this situation that's not just for OAPs.

Personally I wouldn't dream of doing something like that, but then again I'm the kind of person that would go hungry before I'd let my dog go hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

What about the blue cross who do be around tallaght in thier 'vet van' each week? They work on donation basis and might do it for u? (i've seen them stitch up animals before)[/QUOTE]

is it the bitch or the owner you are on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What do you have at the end of the garden to drown them in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Best solution is get this book and an edgy scalpel. Get some chloroform (you probably have that lying around to get some peace and quite from the missus) and some painkillers. If your not too sure set up a webcam and broadcast it live on 4chan and you will get plenty of idea of what to remove and what not to.

Nothing beats DIY surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

please don't defraud a animal welfare charity for it the cost of this, its a scheme set up to save them from having to deal with litters of unwanted cats and dogs.
    remember we destroy 10,000 dogs a year in our pounds alone, so shop around and pay the fee please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Stinicker wrote: »
    Best solution is get this book and an edgy scalpel. Get some chloroform (you probably have that lying around to get some peace and quite from the missus) and some painkillers. If your not too sure set up a webcam and broadcast it live on 4chan and you will get plenty of idea of what to remove and what not to.

+1

OP, it's ridiculous to waste money on this kind of thing when you can save €20 and do it yourself. That book shows you how to circumcise babies too, I'd assume you'd be interested in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

my mother is after her cat spayed last friday and it cost 180 bit expensive i must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

kylith wrote: »
    My parents didn't bother getting their bitch spayed either and wound up with unwanted litters after males scaled a 7' wall.

We're talkin male dogs here right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

my mother is after her cat spayed last friday and it cost 180 bit expensive i must say
    Seems high, I got my cat done for just over a hundred - 150 including the kitten shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

It's cost's money to keep an animal or are you just aware of this fact now?
    Jesus I hope the dog never gets sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Stinicker wrote: »

Book alone is like, $100!

Not much of a saving.

Skip the book and just go digging OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but what exactly are you doing with a dog if you think getting her spayed is paying out unnecessary money?

If you don't have it to pay then go into your welfare office & look for assistance, they have some kind of a scheme there for this situation that's not just for OAPs.

Personally I wouldn't dream of doing something like that, but then again I'm the kind of person that would go hungry before I'd let my dog go hungry.

You've your own river in your garden

VERY POSH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Chloroform and a hedge trimmers...

Bazzy wrote: »
    You've your own river in your garden

VERY POSH

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

biko wrote: »
    Seems high, I got my cat done for just over a hundred - 150 including the kitten shots.

I read that as 'including getting the kittens shot'.

To the OP; if you can afford the full price then pay it, if not go with OAP option.

I'd prefer the dog spayed on the cheap than it having puppies that weren't wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Ah come on lads, theres a few people on very high horses responding here. The OP wants to do the right thing for his dog but just wants to get it cheaper than €140. Hes not looking for a dodgy back alley to butcher his dog here,hes trying to do the best for it.He may be short of money (arent we all) at the moment and is just looking for a cheaper alternative. Hes not robbing a bank here.

The Dogs Trust (which he doesnt mention) whilst are a charity are actually a very well funded charity. Its a mutual service that works between them and loads of other vets around the country. There are plenty of people entitled to that voucher (see the list) and probably shouldnt be taken advantage of if people genuinely have the cash. But, its better than having a litter of unwanted pups in a few months time.

OP..go to the UCD Vet Hospital if you feel too guilty. Less than €35 for a dog spay.

Ah come on lads, theres a few people on very high horses responding here. The OP wants to do the right thing for his dog but just wants to get it cheaper than €140. Hes not looking for a dodgy back alley to butcher his dog here,hes trying to do the best for it.He may be short of money (arent we all) at the moment and is just looking for a cheaper alternative. Hes not robbing a bank here.

The Dogs Trust (which he doesnt mention) whilst are a charity are actually a very well funded charity. Its a mutual service that works between them and loads of other vets around the country. There are plenty of people entitled to that voucher (see the list) and probably shouldnt be taken advantage of if people genuinely have the cash. But, its better than having a litter of unwanted pups in a few months time.

OP..go to the UCD Vet Hospital if you feel too guilty. Less than €35 for a dog spay.

Not on a highhorse but as Scareydoll quite rightly pointed out what will he do if the dog gets sick?
    Will he be short of money to get her treated then?

I can fully understand a situation when money is an issue but to be fair between social welfare & various charities there is a chance for people feeling the financial pinch to get the treatment needed for their pets.

The thing I'm wondering is if he qualifies for financial assistance at all, which I doubt because why else would he get his OAP father in law to lie for him?

Jesus, just put condoms on all the neighbours dogs.. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yeah there's definitely cheaper places to get it done. Did you just go to the local vet and ask how much?

Thos Blue Cross vans are regularly around, and maybe you could check if one is visiting near you soon?
    http://www.bluecross.ie/mobileclinic.html
    http://www.bluecross.ie/areas.html

Alternatively, get a male dog and a hammer.

And according to this:
    http://www.bluecross.ie/welfare_schemes.html

Spay Week starts tomorrow :) (if I read it right and it runs annually)

• Advertisement

Yes definately try UCD or ring a few and compare prices. Some vets let you pay off a bit at a time rather than the full price all in one go.
    Sorry if I sounded harsh, it just annoys me when people don't fully realise the cost and care involved in taking in an animal.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Not on a highhorse but as Scareydoll quite rightly pointed out what will he do if the dog gets sick?
    Will he be short of money to get her treated then?

The thing I'm wondering is if he qualifies for financial assistance at all, which I doubt because why else would he get his OAP father in law to lie for him?
    I know plenty of people in the middle bracket. Not paid enough to be classed as "rich" and not "poor enough" to qualify for any allowances and money is tight. While i agree that funds should always be put by for medical bills for your pets or pet insurance gotten, this isnt always the case.It doesnt make them a bad owner, but they should question their ability to look after a pet long term.

If its a matter that this bill is too much for him right now, id have no qualms doing it through the voucher scheme to save the chance the dog might get pregnant with a litter of unwanted pups. He sounds like a decent enough person if hes even questioning his choice. How many people in this country wouldnt think twice about it. Im honestly not advocating scamming charities here, but if it was me and i genuinely couldnt afford it id have no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

PK2008 wrote: »
    We're talkin male dogs here right?

I do hope so...

scareydoll wrote: »
    Sorry if I sounded harsh, it just annoys me when people don't fully realise the cost and care involved in taking in an animal.
    Me too, but ive learned over the years every owner cant be put in the same box. Most people do try to do their best for their pets in whatever way they can.It wouldnt be good enough for my pets half the time (everyone has different standards of care) but you have to understand peoples situations and that once they are trying to do the right thing for the pet in question thats the most important bit.

I know plenty of people in the middle bracket. Not paid enough to be classed as "rich" and not "poor enough" to qualify for any allowances and money is tight. While i agree that funds should always be put by for medical bills for your pets or pet insurance gotten, this isnt always the case.It doesnt make them a bad owner, but they should question their ability to look after a pet long term.

If its a matter that this bill is too much for him right now, id have no qualms doing it through the voucher scheme to save the chance the dog might get pregnant with a litter of unwanted pups. He sounds like a decent enough person if hes even questioning his choice. How many people in this country wouldnt think twice about it. Im honestly not advocating scamming charities here, but if it was me and i genuinely couldnt afford it id have no problem.

Fair enough, but I get really angry when it comes to people mistreating animals.
    Now the OP could very well treat the dog like a queen but on the way to work this morning I passed four kittens dead on the road. I'm not a cat person at all but I do hate to see any animal mistreated or not looked after properly.

As for getting a dog spayed, I think it should be written into the law & the only way you can breed a dog is if you get a licence specifically for breeding. Way too many twats letting dogs run riot when they are in heat & there's way too many puppy farms operating for my liking.

Rant over ;)

Me too, but ive learned over the years every owner cant be put in the same box. Most people do try to do their best for their pets in whatever way they can.It wouldnt be good enough for my pets half the time (everyone has different standards of care) but you have to understand peoples situations and that once they are trying to do the right thing for the pet in question thats the most important bit.

I totally get that and fair play to the op for wanting to get the dog spayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

i got my dog neutered and used my dad's pps number (he is an oap) and paid 20 euro.
    the vet didn't seem to mind as long as the dog was getting neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Get a soldering iron, a bucket of disinfectant, a wire clothes hanger and a heap of paper towels and do it yourself... all that should amount to less than €20.

You should be delighted, thrifty bloke that you are...

To clear things up here, the dog is a Kerry Blue bitch, she is very well treated. She sleeps in the house with us, the kids love her as do I and the wife. She get's the best of everything. We paid €400 euro for her some time back and to be honest things have gotten very tight. I don't want to go into the details but over the last few months we have some very serious bills and debts to pay.

I didn't realise that the rest of the money would come from a dogs trust charity, so I will look for an alternative now. I'm living in Galway and it is very hard to find a veterinary clinic that is not private.

By asking my father in law is this any different wrt people going to casualty when they can rightly afford to pay to see their GP's? Or for people to avail of loopholes in the law to save money things such as stamp duty or bringing a car in from the UK?

Thanks for the sensible OP's and their advice especially annie

..and to those that are very quick to ridicule look at your own conscience's. I can't stand people who use anonymity as a way to display their bravery and rudeness to others. More sensible posting is appreciated!

Maybe ring the Galway Spca. They might be able to help you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement