Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Castles

Options
  • 27-05-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

I was just reading through the article in the Independent about the castle in Ballybrit, really interesting stuff really. It got me thinking. How many castles are there, or were there, around Galway and how old are they, and why so many in such a small area? There probably are a few I would think. The one in Ballybrit probably gives rise to naming Castlepark, what about Newcastle? I know there is the castle out the Headford Road, whats the story behind that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ballindooley Castle is a Burke house. It had the distinction of having been shelled by the British gunboat Helga during the 1916 rising. Recently restored and plastered, it's being lived in again.

dooley.jpeg
    http://www.avenuestoindependence.org/1-2-07/ballindooley.html
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~rookery/castle2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I entered the tower in Merlin park so to take some pictures and some teen rascals locked me in when I reached the top. It took me some good 10 minutes to open the door from the inside :)
    What's the story of the Ballybrit tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Terryland Castle - beside the bridge
    Lynch's Castle
    Menlo Castle
    The Castle, Salthill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

There's tons of castles around. Aughnanure in Oughterard is pretty nice, surrounded by a moate. There's also Ross Castle* out in Headford which is the oldest standing castle in Euro if the plaques are to be believed. It's a ruin with some cows hanging out inside but is worth a visit**

* Not 100% about the name.

** Bring your wellies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

dafunk wrote: »
    There's also Ross Castle* out in Headford which is the oldest standing castle in Euro if the plaques are to be believed. It's a ruin with some cows hanging out inside but is worth a visit**

* Not 100% about the name.

** Bring your wellies!

Do you mean Rosserrily by any chance?

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CBMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monasette.com%2Fblog%2Fgallery%2Frosserrily%2F&rct=j&q=rosserrily+abbey&ei=51D-S-7FEKL40wTDrbzuDQ&usg=AFQjCNGyiCa8pH_I2rvOrP93H0vJ_UM9XA&sig2=weCue3g345WMOS367Pt8Mw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Strictly speaking they aren't castles but are in fact tower houses. Most date from the 15th century or so in this country. The reason there are so many is that back in the day it was seen as 'the thing' to build one of them, to mark your property and show how noble your family was.

Here's a more polished version of the above from Wiki :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is there any map showing exactly where all these castles are in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

theres a list of galway castles here, dont know how good it is
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Is there any map showing exactly where all these castles are in Galway?

check any ordinance survey maps

edit: here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've shot a few of them and know about most of them:

http://www.720nm.com/?s=castle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Beautiful shot of DunGuaire!!

It's easy to forget about the likes of Blakes castle or the one at the back of Buskers whose name I can't remember.

Abandoned Ireland has some general photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

churchview wrote: »
    Lynch's Castle
    Menlo Castle

blakes, down by jurys
    claregalway-years ago you could go right up to the top. i am unsure whether it is going to be a private residence or retaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

biko wrote: »
    Ballindooley Castle is a Burke house. It had the distinction of having been shelled by the British gunboat Helga during the 1916 rising. Recently restored and plastered, it's being lived in again.

dooley.jpeg
    http://www.avenuestoindependence.org/1-2-07/ballindooley.html
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~rookery/castle2.html
    Errrr didnt the Helga sail up the Liffey and shell Liberty Hall and the GPO etc? Did it sail down to Galway afterwards or something?

Brilliant shot of Dunguaire Fenster, love that castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Lynch's Castle
    Menlo Castle

:D:D:D The Castle Salthill. good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Legitimate bump, I think.
    Does anyone know what the sceal is with Aughnanure Castle? Took a spin down while we were passing today, and followed an extensive boithrin which only led to a sign saying "Strictly Private Property. No Trespassing."
    Couldn't see any sign of the castle anywhere. I was disappointed. My dad used to take us there all the time when we were kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ficheall wrote: »
    Legitimate bump, I think.
    Does anyone know what the sceal is with Aughnanure Castle? Took a spin down while we were passing today, and followed an extensive boithrin which only led to a sign saying "Strictly Private Property. No Trespassing."
    Couldn't see any sign of the castle anywhere. I was disappointed. My dad used to take us there all the time when we were kids.

lovely castle. OPW. admission 3 euro. open until 5ish. i think the sign you refer to concerns a private field. You should have made it to the car park and just followed the path?

if you have a kayak you can go to the castle from the corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hmm... we didn't arrive until 6ish, so that probably didn't help.
    But no, this wasn't a gate leading in to a field - it had a big winding driveway down behind it (we walked in a little way). I remember the car park that used to be beside the castle, but there was no sign of that. We probably missed a turn somewhere.

Kayaking in is a brilliant idea. I shall look into that. Go raibh míle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Also known as Ross Abbey. It's worth a visit. A lot of stories about the place. How it was built because a guy had wanted to build a church and asked God where he should build, a few swans flew overhead and he followed them to that site...apparently :P

Also when the Vikings attacked and killed the Monks they took the bell from the tower and it hasn't been seen since. Popular belief is that it got dumped into the river.

The tomb has swords and all sorts inside it but it's obviously locked up..only know about the sword because some eejit managed to get into it. The tower is locked up now. It's a really cool place.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The Castle at Annaghdown was refurbished about 3 years ago and is now owned privately. Some nice views of it from Annaghdown Pier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement