Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing Ex-Fleet Cars

• 27-05-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Looking to purchase a new car for commuting to work

200 mile round trip every day

Looking for a Diesel Golf

There are 2 that have cought my eye

Both 2006 TDI and SDI (first question, what is the difference?)

Both however are "ex fleet" cars, one has 91k miles and the other 97k miles

Is this too much milage for 4 year old cars?

Even though they are diesel?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

SDI doesn't have a turbo. Avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Yes the other poster is right avoid the sdi seriously under powered.
    I would have no problem buying ex fleet, they get serviced regularly
    and are generally well looked after.

I had an ex fleet mondeo and had many years trouble free driving..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The SDi wasn't sold here in the Golf since the MkIV so it sounds like it is a UK import. That aside the SDi is dog slow and I would not fancy doing 200 miles a day in one. Personally I think there is better value out there than the Golf, they are terribly overpriced in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Are they in miles (imported), or is that the equivalent of the KM actually on the clock (154,000).

If they are UK imports then it's probably all motorway mileages so there will be very little wear on the car, but just make sure there is no finance outstanding and it's not a write off etc.

If it's an Irish car, 38,000km per annum is fairly reasonable mileage. Make sure it has a full service history, and if you can find out who's fleet it's from, try and give them a call to see whether it looks like the car has been abused or looked after. If it's a fleet company then they'll be able to have a good guess from the service history on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

bazz26 wrote: »
    The SDi wasn't sold here in the Golf since the MkIV so it sounds like it is a UK import. That aside the SDi is dog slow and I would not fancy doing 200 miles a day in one. Personally I think there is better value out there than the Golf, they are terribly overpriced in this country.

Hi Bazz

What cars do you recommend as being better value... taking into consideration it must be a diesel with the amount of milage that is going to b travelled each day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a new car for commuting to work

200 mile round trip every day

Looking for a Diesel Golf

There are 2 that have cought my eye

Both 2006 TDI and SDI (first question, what is the difference?)

Both however are "ex fleet" cars, one has 91k miles and the other 97k miles

Is this too much milage for 4 year old cars?

Even though they are diesel?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

in the SDI they removed the accelerator pedal and fitted a volume pedal instead. :D

Hi Bazz

What cars do you recommend as being better value... taking into consideration it must be a diesel with the amount of milage that is going to b travelled each day

What kind of budget do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

bazz26 wrote: »
    What kind of budget do you have?

Depends on the credit union... but so far looking at the 5-6 sterling mark for the car, and whatever the VRT is

Depends on the credit union... but so far looking at the 5-6 sterling mark for the car, and whatever the VRT is

If I was dong 200 miles a day the second thing I would be looking for after a diesel would be comfort. Very important with that sort of driving.

I would be looking at something like below. Plenty of legroom, refined cabin, plenty of overtaking power and reliable cruiser:

http://www.autoquake.com/used-ford-mondeo/2.0tdci-115-zetec-nav-5dr-[euro-4]-diesel-manual/inspid=21409

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Bazz is spot on

• Advertisement
Advertisement