Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More cars sold this year already than for the whole of last year

• 27-05-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Actually it happened on 20 May. Car sales hit 55,727 that day (versus 55,578 for whole of 09), currently car sales are at 56,825(up to 24 May).

Up to the 24th, 5,372 cars have been sold this month, again this exceeds last May's figure of 5,278 which was for the entire month, although it is clear that sales are tapering off fairly rapidly now as the growth this May is far lower than it was for February, March and April(where sales were increasing exponentially each month compared to Feb-Apr 09).

Nevertheless it is good news for those in the car trade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

We're still fooked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

The recovery :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Confab wrote: »
    We're still fooked though.

No we're not, only builders ( which we had too many of anyway) , public sector workers who got paid too much and twonks who over borowed on million euro houses inTallaght Citywest are fooked.

Everybody else I know has either increased their hours,moved to a better job or just in general grown in confidence this year. And as someone who works in a Renault dealer , I can tell you that when cars are good value there's no shortage of people coming up with money to buy them. We had a record March, better than all through the boom years. And the order book is full through June and July with a few to be delivered in August with the punters still coming in and buying cars.

There's no future in looking backwards, most commentators cant see the trees from the woods. Sure there's lots wrong with this country but things are much better this year than last year and will be much better again next year. For those who want to keep telling themselves things are bollo*ed then go ahead, the rest of us are moving on ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Fair enough, more cars sold and i can see why too. People who had money for cars last year or even the year before would have found it "politically" incorrect to change the car as we were heading into a recession.

So, this year things have settled a bit and we can change the car now again. Now it's not deemed as un-pc if you know what I mean.
    Renault have had the best month of March in years because they are now selling a sellable product. It doesn't mean that everyone is doing very well.
    Just because we sell a few more cars this year than last year (which wouldn't be very hard in the first place), shouldn't really count as a barometer for our ability to recover as a nation.
    There is still the small matter of Gov borrowings that we simply cannot sustain.
    Anyway, you are right to look forward and have a bright outlook, however, it should not be a measure of our nations wealth or upcoming success.
    As for your remark about everyone just getting on with it, well, that is not fair to a lot of people who are unable to get on with it.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    No we're not, only builders ( which we had too many of anyway) , public sector workers who got paid too much and twonks who over borowed on million euro houses inTallaght Citywest are fooked.

Everybody else I know has either increased their hours,moved to a better job or just in general grown in confidence this year. And as someone who works in a Renault dealer , I can tell you that when cars are good value there's no shortage of people coming up with money to buy them. We had a record March, better than all through the boom years. And the order book is full through June and July with a few to be delivered in August with the punters still coming in and buying cars.

There's no future in looking backwards, most commentators cant see the trees from the woods. Sure there's lots wrong with this country but things are much better this year than last year and will be much better again next year. For those who want to keep telling themselves things are bollo*ed then go ahead, the rest of us are moving on ;):)

Bill Cullen, what are you doing on boards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Bill Cullen, what are you doing on boards!!

Duh, That's not Bill - you'll see he said he "works" in a Renault dealer - not swans around near a Renault dealer spouting BS :D:p

R.O.R wrote: »
    Duh, That's not Bill - you'll see he said he "works" in a Renault dealer - not swans around near a Renault dealer spouting BS :D:p

Oh yeah. And Bill works for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Actually it happened on 20 May. Car sales hit 55,727 that day (versus 55,578 for whole of 09), currently car sales are at 56,825(up to 24 May).

Up to the 24th, 5,372 cars have been sold this month, again this exceeds last May's figure of 5,278 which was for the entire month, although it is clear that sales are tapering off fairly rapidly now as the growth this May is far lower than it was for February, March and April(where sales were increasing exponentially each month compared to Feb-Apr 09).

Nevertheless it is good news for those in the car trade.

Wonder where you got those stats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Do you think the
    public sector workers who got paid too much
    are going to give it up?

Until they do (and a few other things have to go too) we're still fcuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

For those who want to keep telling themselves things are bollo*ed then go ahead, the rest of us are moving on ;):)

While I agree perfectly with the sentiment, it still hurts to see the scrappage scheme saving the motor trade at such a painful cost to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

When you consider the amount of cars sold last year,it would not be very hard to sell more this year;)

Gurgle wrote: »
    While I agree perfectly with the sentiment, it still hurts to see the scrappage scheme saving the motor trade at such a painful cost to everyone else.

Ah you see thats not true. Although the government are giving up to 1500 quid off a new car with the VRT rebate , because sales are up so much the revenue are actualy taking in more VRT than last year anyway.

Dont forget, as I argued before here, VAT take is also up, PRSI take is also up and income tax take is also up from people working in the trade. Thats all before you factor in other people suppling or piggy backing on the motor trade and them earning more money / paying more taxes.

One interesting thing that I've noticed from the scrappage scheme is that its bringing everybody out to have a look at a new car. Now lots of these people cant afford a new car but they end up buying a fairly new used car instead....un-subsidised by the government. This is what its all about , confidence building.

Again as I said before , if I saw some other trade getting support when my one wasn't i'd be angry too. Maybe its fair to say that the scrappage scheme is proof if ever it was needed that some incentive like this works and that instead of giving out about it , people shold be shouting for something like this in their own trade. Just a thought :cool:

Ah you see thats not true. Although the government are giving up to 1500 quid off a new car with the VRT rebate , because sales are up so much the revenue are actualy taking in more VRT than last year anyway.

Dont forget, as I argued before here, VAT take is also up, PRSI take is also up and income tax take is also up from people working in the trade. Thats all before you factor in other people suppling or piggy backing on the motor trade and them earning more money / paying more taxes.

One interesting thing that I've noticed from the scrappage scheme is that its bringing everybody out to have a look at a new car. Now lots of these people cant afford a new car but they end up buying a fairly new used car instead....un-subsidised by the government. This is what its all about , confidence building.

Again as I said before , if I saw some other trade getting support when my one wasn't i'd be angry too. Maybe its fair to say that the scrappage scheme is proof if ever it was needed that some incentive like this works and that instead of giving out about it , people shold be shouting for something like this in their own trade. Just a thought :cool:

Plenty of sense there. Another real benefit is that once the Government sanctioned the scheme they made it politically correct to be seen buying a new car. Rather than a 10 reg being interpreted as someone 'splashing the cash', availing of the scheme is seen to be as a somewhat frugal & sensible thing to do.

While the other €10k to €40k goes straight out of the country to some country that actually has an automotive industry.
    This is not an incentive that will achieve anything for the rest of the country, just one small sector employing a small number of people.

I could accept this kind of government discount arrangement for a sector where the money creates liquidity in the economy, which is what we need. I'd even buy a set of Waterford crystal wine glasses to show my support.

But for a trade who's entire function is to buy goods from abroad and sell them here, its completely counter-productive.

But don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you ;)
    At least someone is getting something out of them.

Gurgle wrote: »
    While the other €10k to €40k goes straight out of the country to some country that actually has an automotive industry.

This is not an incentive that will achieve anything for the rest of the country, just one small sector employing a small number of people.

Look I know and I'd be the first to say that far more should be getting done to help our exporters in this country. Getting money in is the key so we'll agree on that one. But again dont blame the motor trade for something that works, blame the powers that be for not extending similar schemes to other industries when its clear as day that a little incentive goes along way.

Now on the other side there are lots of " Green " incentives out there at the moment with insulation and green energy provision. Lets not forget that every car being replaced by the scrappage scheme is a category A or B car under the new VRT system which puts them all in the lowest emissions bracket. This reduces or emissions as a nation and in theory should help us on the carbon credit end of things too.

Last bit here, dont forget that lots of this money going out of the country is going to European car makers in European countries. Now where did that NAMA bail out come from again!!!!!

dont blame the motor trade for something that works
    I didn't intend my comments to appear 'against' the motor trade. Sorry if it came across that way. I just think that what is good for the motor trade in this case is bad for the economy.

Anywho: Sales are up. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

From what i'm hearing the government are very slow in paying up the money for the scrappage scheme and as a result putting a lot of garages under pressure with cash flow and this stalling could put other hard pressed garages out of business.

There was a delay earlier in the month but it's all up to date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Motorcheck wrote: »
    There was a delay earlier in the month but it's all up to date now.

Any idea when your daily updated reg stats will be working again?

Advertisement