Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Repair in Ireland - MF Services

Options
  • 27-05-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Sony Digital Camera that stopped working (basically a black screen whenever I try and take a picture, but the menus work fine)
    After a bit of research I found out that this is a known issue and is due to a faulty image sensor and there was a product recall for this issue.
    Anyhoo - I rang Sony Support and the checked the camera model and went through some tests on the phone with me and basically said that I'm covered for a repair as it's the image sensor issue.
    Sony opened a service request number for me and said I needed to print off the returns form and send it to Cork to their service company called MF Services.
    I filled in the repair form and noted on it that it's covered under the warranty/product recall and I'd like it fixed( I also included the service number that Sony gave me)
    I received a call from MF services last week and they said they will not look at the camera unless I pay an 80 Euro deposit. I explained that it's a product recall issue and is covered by this recall "warranty" etc.
    They don't care - they won't even look at it without an 80 Euro deposit.

Anybody come across this type of thing before ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Yeah i work in a place that deals with them, its in case its actually water damaged or damaged in a way that the warranty wont cover. If all is well you should get it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

But why do they need 80 Euro ?
    I've been told it's covered by Sony.

Is the 80 Euro in case it's not covered due to it being another issue that's causing the problem ?
    When they check it, and if they see it's not covered, then shouldn't they be contacting me with a repair quote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

deadl0ck wrote: »
    But why do they need 80 Euro ?
    I've been told it's covered by Sony.

Is the 80 Euro in case it's not covered due to it being another issue that's causing the problem ?
    When they check it, and if they see it's not covered, then shouldn't they be contacting me with a repair quote ?

while it might seem unreasonable to you it makes perfect sense from a buisness perspective.

Until someone qualified actually looks at the camera they have no way of knowing if it is the suspected fault or that you have smashed it with a hammer.

The €80 deposit is to cover their time and costs should you return the camera and the problem isn't covered by warranty. They will then quote you for repair. If you choose not to proceed they will use the €80 to cover their time and costs, should you proceed generally this €80 will be taken off the total repair bill.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes you'll need to pay the deposit.

I went through a similar case with them - the UK recall paid for postage and was free.

In Ireland we had to pay for postage and a deposit had to be paid - I rang Sony Ireland and dealt with the rudest woman in the world who told me that the deposit was only 50euro even though I had it on paper.

The good part is that the camcorder was fixed under the recall and it didn't take too long.

http://blog.despod.com/2007/07/sony-sony-sony.html
    http://blog.despod.com/2007/07/sony-ireland-you-stink-bigtime.html

while it might seem unreasonable to you it makes perfect sense from a buisness perspective.

Until someone qualified actually looks at the camera they have no way of knowing if it is the suspected fault or that you have smashed it with a hammer.

The €80 deposit is to cover their time and costs should you return the camera and the problem isn't covered by warranty. They will then quote you for repair. If you choose not to proceed they will use the €80 to cover their time and costs, should you proceed generally this €80 will be taken off the total repair bill.

I get that, but I don't really agree with it.
    Basically the want to cover the cost of actually assessing the problem in case it's not covered by a warranty.
    I'm not aware of any other company that does that when something is supposed to be under warranty....

Anyhow - I have since rang Sony and they gave me the contact details for the Wales service center - I rang them and they said to send it on and they will repair no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I get that, but I don't really agree with it.
    Basically the want to cover the cost of actually assessing the problem in case it's not covered by a warranty.
    I'm not aware of any other company that does that when something is supposed to be under warranty....

Anyhow - I have since rang Sony and they gave me the contact details for the Wales service center - I rang them and they said to send it on and they will repair no problem.

the problem lies in the fact that nobody that is qualified or authorised to say if it is or is not covered by warranty has physically seen the product. MF services obviously contract out from Sony, they probably get a fee for fixing warranty repairs and more than likely get nothing if the problem isn't warranty. Therefore they would be out of pocket should the problem be non-warranty.

As for other companies doing the same, as far as I know, if you call Apple with a warranty issue with an ipod they will take your credit card number before collecting the 'faulty' unit incase it isn't a warranty issue.

Glad you got sorted anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

whippet wrote: »
    the problem lies in the fact that nobody that is qualified or authorised to say if it is or is not covered by warranty has physically seen the product. MF services obviously contract out from Sony, they probably get a fee for fixing warranty repairs and more than likely get nothing if the problem isn't warranty. Therefore they would be out of pocket should the problem be non-warranty.

As for other companies doing the same, as far as I know, if you call Apple with a warranty issue with an ipod they will take your credit card number before collecting the 'faulty' unit incase it isn't a warranty issue.

Glad you got sorted anyway

No, thats incase its not a hardware issue, most of the calls Apple get with 'Hardware failure' are usually software problems.

However if its a hardware issue and they find it user damage they send it back with no charge.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The problem is that in the UK (and US) Sony paid for the affected users to return their faulty devices, paid for the repair and paid for the return - a deposit wasn't requested.

Sony in Ireland however are only paying for the repair, their authorised service centre is charging a deposit and there's always the fear that a charge will be levied anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What is to stop the repair company charging the €80 anyway as well as collecting the warranty fee from Sony?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Acer laptop repairs also charge this. It is also a company in cork, can't think of the name of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

The manufacturers will cover this cost either way, some will take a deposit and charge the customers that send in goods that are not covered under warranty. The manufacturers that don't will have it priced into the product. The repair centres will get paid, customer pays for it one way or another.

OK - So I never got the camera back from MF services (I asked for it to be returned so I could send it to Sony Service in Wales).

I rang them today and they are looking for 22 Euro to send the camera back to me. Now I don't even have my camera and it's gonna cost me to get it returned in the same state it was in !
    Any suggestions ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OK - So I never got the camera back from MF services (I asked for it to be returned so I could send it to Sony Service in Wales).

I rang them today and they are looking for 22 Euro to send the camera back to me. Now I don't even have my camera and it's gonna cost me to get it returned in the same state it was in !
    Any suggestions ?

Get on to Sony, and tell them to sort it out, without you paying a penny, otherwise someone is going to the SCC......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

MF are a well known shower, how they ever got a contract to service more than a wheelbarrow is a bit suspect, they have to return the goods to you as they do not have any right to hold them or charge you, Sony will have to pick up the tap for contracting this shower in the first place.

MC

they have to return the goods to you as they do not have any right to hold them or charge you, Sony will have to pick up the tap for contracting this shower in the first place.
    So can they charge me for the return, and I have to try and get Sony to cover it ?
    Or do they (MF) have a right to charge me in the first place?

So can they charge me for the return, and I have to try and get Sony to cover it ?
    Or do they (MF) have a right to charge me in the first place?
    no they cant hold your goods to ransom like this!

there is no talk of them returning this €80 fee when the fault is found to be covered by the warranty!

op have you tried to bring it back to where it was bought?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    there is no talk of them returning this €80 fee when the fault is found to be covered by the warranty!

I agree that they shouldn't, but I'd be more interested in the legalities of it as opposed to my opinion, if you know what I mean.....
    They claim it's a deposit and will return it if it's found to be the issue that's covered by the product recall. My problem is that if they deem it to be something else and fix it (which could be additional money) that I have no way of verifying their assessment.
    On top of that, Sony told me it would be fixed free of charge, so on principal I am not prepared to pay an 80 Euro deposit.
    No. I bought it from Pixmania. They are a complete nightmare. Also, it's not covered under standard warranty now anyhow. It's only covered by Sony as it's a know defect on this model (and a few other models also)

Do I have a legal right to demand that my camera be returned (without me having to pay for the privilege) ?

Advertisement