Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good present for nine-year-old girl?

Options
  • 27-05-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

A friend of mine is visiting soon, and I want to get a present for his daughter. I don't want to be the person who gives last year's present, or something insultingly young. But what are nine-year-old girls interested in at the moment? Do they play with anything I would recognise as a toy, or is it all about Nintendo DS and such?

I can always play safe with a CD voucher or a book token, but the question has sparked a larger desire to amend my ignorance. What are the good presents these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Depends on what the child is into and what her interests are there aren't generic toys for 9 year old girls which all of them will like.

If you want to play it safe a smyths voucher is a good idea that way she can pick out what she wants herself.

Other wise why not ask her Dad what her interests are and then you have a better starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A voucher is always good because then it's like money in their pocket..a nice way they can buy something they actually want.

Or if the girl is creative, into arts and crafts, maybe some supplies? Not colours or such, but something they can make..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Thanks for the advice, guys. It seems self-evident once you say it.

A voucher will make for a good fun shopping day. She's a big reader too, apparently, so I'll pick up something specifically Irish for her to take with her. She won't have read it before, and it will be nice to have something Irish to take home. I believe it's a very good time for Irish children's writing, so it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable.

I still think it's a shame that no-one has invented the guaranteed please-everyone-whatever-their-interests super-toy. :o I'll have to get the lab working on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A good book on the myths and legends tends to go down well esp if she is a reader.

Advertisement