Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about private rental.

Options
  • 27-05-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure how to put this but I was just wondering is there any regulation about how much interference you can get from your landlord?

I'm renting a house with a friend of mine and it's a private rental for which we signed a lease for 8months.

Up to now, in all the places I've rented privately, the landlord would inspect the premises every now and again but not overly frequently, some of them wouldn't even bother. But with this landlord, I don't think there's a week that goes by that she isn't ringing me about something that needs to be done with the house.

She's around every week checking the walls for "dampness". The wallpaper thats on the wall has been there for years from the look of it, and not a sign of ever having been damp. She was talking for weeks about getting the walls insulated and never really told us when it would happen (always in a few weeks), then we found out 2 days before they started work and it's been going on since Monday. (Neighbours have made complaints about noise from the work but what can we do).

She now has a guy coming to insulate the attic and re-tile the roof, and another to paint the ceilings... and she's asked one of us to be there which we can't because we have work.

I was just wondering am I being reasonable in saying to her that all this should have been done before a tenant moved in? and that this is way to much hassle and interference?

If this is unreasonable interference, and if so is it possible to end the lease early and get our deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

some people complain when the landlords wont maintain their accomadation and others then complain when they do. they just cant win.

your within your rights to refuse access for this work to be done, but dont come back on here in 3 months time complaining that the landlord is giving you the runaround for repairs that need doing and expect sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

D3PO wrote: »
    some people complain when the landlords wont maintain their accomadation and others then complain when they do. they just cant win.

your within your rights to refuse access for this work to be done, but dont come back on here in 3 months time complaining that the landlord is giving you the runaround for repairs that need doing and expect sympathy.

She doesn't seem like the type to do that to be honest, maybe it's just that I'm not used to having the landlord coming round every week (which is why I asked was I being unreasonable) as I've nearly always just been left alone. But it just seems too excessive to me. We moved in recently enough, about 2 1/2 months ago.

I'm going to see if she'll just let me paint the walls that she wants myself and hopefully that will be it.

I'm sorry if the post above seemed like a rant but I feel a bit frustrated by this as work is really busy at the moment and it's hard to keep running back to the house because someone needs to be let in or needs electricity or water etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You do not have to grant her permission to enter the property if you do not want to. You can work with her to arrange less frequent, but better scheduled visits i.e. once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I would differentiate between her visits that actually have a purpose - like sizing-up specific work to be done within a specific timeframe (like, next week) - and those visits that are just her "checking up" on her darling property.

The first type you should welcome as it should improve your living conditions. But the the second type of visit is totally unacceptable and it seems to me she's just babysitting her property and constantly checking up that you're not wrecking the gaff.

I would put it to her straight - if you have a specific purpose for calling, ok. If not, tell her you are getting stressed by being constantly invigilated and want it to stop and be given some peace and quiet to enjoy your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I would differentiate between her visits that actually have a purpose - like sizing-up specific work to be done within a specific timeframe (like, next week) - and those visits that are just her "checking up" on her darling property.

The first type you should welcome as it should improve your living conditions. But the the second type of visit is totally unacceptable and it seems to me she's just babysitting her property and constantly checking up that you're not wrecking the gaff.

I would put it to her straight - if you have a specific purpose for calling, ok. If not, tell her you are getting stressed by being constantly invigilated and want it to stop and be given some peace and quiet to enjoy your place.

This is pretty much what I want. But I wasn't sure what my rights to this would be in this regard. As in where could I draw the line and say that I want privacy, because I suppose at the end of the day it is still her house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's supposed to be your home though, you're paying her money for that.

Sounds like she's going way OTT on the visits. Carrying out work can be good if it improves your living conditions. I'd deny permission and remind her of her last visit to the property. Keep note of all the dates she's in.

From Threshold:

Privacy

As a tenant you are entitled to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home. Your landlord is only allowed enter with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement with you. If the property is put up for sale, ask the landlord to agree viewing times with you. If your landlord repeatedly enters your flat without your permission contact Threshold for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

wayne0308 wrote: »
    This is pretty much what I want. But I wasn't sure what my rights to this would be in this regard. As in where could I draw the line and say that I want privacy, because I suppose at the end of the day it is still her house.

No, it's more your house than hers while you are renting it from her. Amateur landlords find it hard to grasp this concept, but you have every right to expect not to be bothered and harassed by a landlord constantly checking up. The very fact your lease says that she cannot enter the property without your permission is proof that you have primacy in this regard.

I would be polite, but forceful. On the narrow matter of your "rights" I would imagine it is a grey area not really accounted for in most leases. So I suspect it's up to you and her coming to an understanding. I would, however, expect that a landlord does not have the right, statutorily, to harass tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I feel for you mate but she may be just an old woman with little else to do.
    I'd say if you approach her and be nice about it she'll be fine and bugger off.

I see my landlady bi-annually and its awesome. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Zamboni wrote: »
    I feel for you mate but she may be just an old woman with little else to do.
    I'd say if you approach her and be nice about it she'll be fine and bugger off.

I see my landlady bi-annually and its awesome. :eek:

I've never even met mine and I'm there just over a year ;) She's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

She is entitled to inspect the house, but not once a week, and she would need to make an appointment.

You should be happy that she is renovating the property, but it is not reasonable of her to expect you to be there to supervise the work.

In fairness, it does happen that workmen suddenly become available. However, you do need to be organized to do this kind of work in conjunction with tenants and everybody else.

Try to figure out her perspective. You may find it surprising, but a lot of older landlords aren't actually in the game particularly for the money. I would consider whether she is in the landlady business for company and to meet people as much as anything else. It does happen. Before the 90's, it was commonplace for everyone, not just landlords, to just call around to people's houses for a chat, to say hello or whatever. Since mobile phones came in, the whole thing is like a Jane Austen novel, everyone expects you to ring or text beforehand. Until the 90's, rent used to be almost always collected in person, weekly, and it was a social occasion in its own way.

In terms of dealing with it, I would say:

- if she wants you to look after work going on, suggest to her that the work be done at the weekend, when you are at home (or else, that she supervise)

- if she wants to inspect, suggest she call back. Set a date there and then. Set the date for a little more than three weeks into the future. If she asks for a closer date, say you think you are going to be really busy and that you cannot commit to a date. Ask if she thinks it is urgent. If she says it is, look concerned, ask her what it is, and promise that you will check it and keep an eye on it. Check to make sure you have her correct phone number. When she does call back to inspect, give her some time, sit down, have a cup of tea, talk about the history of the house, or the area, or whatever.

Be really nice. There is really no point in not being genuinely nice to your landlady, especially if they are trying to improve the property. You will probably be able to gently move them around to your way of seeing things. It is good to have a landlord who is genuinely concerned about their property and about your comfort and it is worth a bit of effort (and will save you money and hassle in the longer run).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm in my current place about 7 years and it needed redecoration and a few bits and pieces done. The landlord arranged this to be done over about a week. Sometimes I was available, sometimes I wasn't. I made an arrangement with the painter that I would empty certain rooms, he could do those rooms on certain days and that when they were finished, I would clear out the other rooms and he could do them. Overall it worked OK.

However, your landlord seems to be doing a lot of work and making a bit of an imposition. I would certainly ask for some consideration to be given.

Advertisement