Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carina E oxygen sensor

• 27-05-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be the only thing that gives bother on them.

I've heard a few things:
    Spurious ones don't work
    There are about 8 different types of sensor for the same (1.6) engine
    They cost 300 lids new

Can anyone shed any light on this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I've heard about these alright, and similar tales relating to the oxygen sensor fitted to the mid 2000 Honda Civics as well. Someone I spoke with thinks it might be something to do with the way current flow is sensed across heater element, as a means of controlling open / closed loop running, rather than reading the temp from the coolant temp sensor. A fanciful theory which might be true, but then again, might not be.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bit of a dose spending half the value of the car
    on one sensor! Technically makes the car a write off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

What makes ya think its the oxegen sensor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New cat, only plausable explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Have you asked Toyota why some many different sensors? Can you scope the sensors output to see if it is actually switching properly? Coolant temperature sensor ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

I have one and it does work they are 150 new from the uk and most times it's not the sensor it self!! if it has a new cat and the emissions are still high what i would be looking at is the map voltage reading??? Then get a vacuum gauge and check the reading at idle!! you might get a big surprise!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Check the gasket on the o2 sensor, I had one before with no gasket on the sensor and was taking in air, also had another one with an new cat, but the cat was faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

If you can get the exact part number try to see can it be got in the US of A, in places like Jay Marks Toyota, http://www.championtoyotaparts.com/

There used to be a few saavy Japanese garages/motor factors offering a service like this a few years ago for people located in Ireland, and some of the prices were excellent, for what is basically a make or break part on an older car. I don't have anyone I can recommend for this unfortunately, (apart from Nic Vollens (ImportNic) on the MKIV Supra owners club, but by god is he so SLOOOOWWW.

The Aussies use Japanese garages/motor factors regularly enough too for sourcing expensive bits too I hear on Auzzie forums chatter.

Advertisement