Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost in my home???

Options
  • 27-05-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi guys,not too sure if im doing this right,but here goes! Over the past few years ive been noticing strange stuff happening in my home! Ive always thought there has to be some "reasonable explanation". Until one night my husband heard it for himself! Needless to say he was very shook up! It happens just as im about to drop off to sleep,i hear footsteps in my house! Womens footsteps,as it sound like high heels echo around my house,i have always put it down to my neighbours on my left (as i have none on the right) even when they go away,id say well maybe its someone watching the house, anyway same thing happened saturday night,around 3 in the morning it went on for quite sometime and then stopped,then started again! So the next day i decided to ask my neightbour if she happened to be walking around her room in heels after a night out,she told me straight as soon as she gets from her taxi,takes her heels of,she has her house carpeted too,and it also elderely,and would not be out till 3in the morning,this freaked me out altogether as we have always thought it was her! One night as my husband was drifting of to sleep he heard it for himself the first time! He jumped from the bed and went straight into the next room to see if the children were awake,they were fast asleep,he said it sounded like it was coming from their room,i myself was sleeping so did not hear it at that time! One morning at about half 6,as he was going to work,i was half asleep and we heard a loud banging coming from the attic,it echoed the house,it was like someone banging somthing very heavy (at that hour of the morning we put it down to birds,i have had birds in my attic a couple of years ago,but could not imagine them making such a nosie as loud as this) anyway later that evening he got into the attic,but there was nothing up there! And since we have moved into this house have ALWAYS heard what sounds like marbles falling on the bathroom floor when we are downstairs at night,again we run up to see if its any of the children awake (even though my children dont have marbles) but nothing! This marble/footsteps has been going on so long now,my neighbour was quite shook up when i told her everything,as she is a firm beliver in ghosts! I myself am used to it by now,but would really like to know what it is! Any advice would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

when drifting off or awkening from sleep its always difficult to work out if these things are real or part of dreams. Theres a thing called exploding head syndrome, usually stress related where people hear bangs, thumps, crashes etc when either about to fall asleep or when waking up. I used to hear three loud knocks that used to wake me up but since found thats also the work of the brain.

The marble rolling sound is interesting though as I used to hear that in a house I used to live in. never worked out what it was.

Had you told your husband what you were hearing? Is it possible he too experienced it only because he knew you where?

You could try leaving out a recording device because if it picks it up then you know its not in your head (or your husbands). If though you hear it and the recorder doesnt pick it up then you would know its not paranormal.

the sound of marbles rolling seems to be common enough, paranormally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

If youre hearing loud noises,bangs in particular,coming from your attic I suggest you check the watertank there.It could be a blockage or an ill fitted pipe causing these noises.This could lead to a leak or loss of water further on if not remedied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 poppin candy

no ive never told my husband of the footsteps untill the night he heard them, the loud banging noise in the attic only happened the once im 100 per cent positive there is nothing wrong with my water tank,my husband was on the way out to work so he was not half asleep wide awake and heard it for himself,saturday night when i heard the footsteps i was not even tired,i had been to see Rihanna,had a few drinks came home watched a movie,went to bed i could not sleep so i was reading my book with my bedside lamp on,so i know i was wide awake when i heard these footsteps,my children are afraid to go to the bathroom by themselfs,i have never ask them why because the last thing i want to do is frighten them,i set up my video recorder,there is no footsteps,as somtimes it can be months again before we hear them,but there is lots of loud bangs in the video and,cant see anything but can hear it very well,a bit scary to be honest but i will keep recording!

recording is the short term answer. All you can do is keep an ear out. If it gets to the stage where its concerning you, or freaking you out in anyway, call on one of the paranormal research groups here in the forum and they'll help you pinpoint any natural explainations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    If youre hearing loud noises,bangs in particular,coming from your attic I suggest you check the watertank there.It could be a blockage or an ill fitted pipe causing these noises.This could lead to a leak or loss of water further on if not remedied.
    +1

Air trapped in pipes can also make a metallic gurgling sound that can sound a bit like something rolling.

ive heard the rolling marbles sound before. it sounds like either coins or marbles - nothing like pipes.

maccored wrote: »
    ive heard the rolling marbles sound before. it sounds like either coins or marbles - nothing like pipes.

The pipes in my parents house make an 'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-gloing!' noise as air bubbles travels up through them to the tank in the attic, the system being quite old. It sounds like a marble (or coin) being rolled along a metal surface.

Surely it makes sense to rule out any potential plumbing problems before deciding that it's a ghost after your Cat's Eye? A quick look for 'noisy pipes' on youtube shows that pipes make all kinds of weird noises; everything from a constant hum, to tapping, to a sound like a car horn.

indeed. Ive no idea what the solution is here, but all i can say is the noises ive heard in the past sound exactly like either coins rolling on a wooden floor or a marble. You cant assume the answer is pipes either without looking deeper at it.

indeed. Ive no idea what the solution is here, but all i can say is the noises ive heard in the past sound exactly like either coins rolling on a wooden floor or a marble. You cant assume the answer is pipes either without looking deeper at it.
    I agree, that's why I recommended calling a plumber in. It's easier to find out if it the heating system or not than it is to discover if it's a ghost.

• Advertisement

true. call the builder, carpenter and candlesticker maker too whiler yer at it as it could any of those things too. You seemed to be sure its the pipes and worth the expense of a plumber.

true. call the builder, carpenter and candlesticker maker too whiler yer at it as it could any of those things too. You seemed to be sure its the pipes and worth the expense of a plumber.
    You certainly could if you wanted to. I'd call an exterminator too, in case it's rats in the walls or in the attic.

Houses make all kinds of weird noises, especially if there's a blockage, or something's come loose, or if it's contracting after a hot day. Getting strange noises checked out by tradesmen is, imo, worthwhile in case there is something wrong as it can save huge bills in the future. A paranormal investigator is bog all use if the noise is caused by an airlock or a squirrel.

The reason why I'm strongly suggesting that it's the pipes is because I've heard a metallic rolling noise myself and I know for a fact what caused it. I would like to put the OP's mind at ease or help fix whatever the problem is before taking the sizeable leap that the dead are wandering around the sitting room while they're tucked up in bed.

dont get me wrong, I completely agree with you in that obvious natural solutions have to be looked at first. i dont think though, advising the OP to get a plumber in will help solve her issues - since thats an expense that might not resolve anything. Record the sound if possible, then let a plumber listen to it. He'd tell you quick enough then if its a plumbing issue or not - without the callout fee.

dont get me wrong, I completely agree with you in that obvious natural solutions have to be looked at first. i dont think though, advising the OP to get a plumber in will help solve her issues - since thats an expense that might not resolve anything. Record the sound if possible, then let a plumber listen to it. He'd tell you quick enough then if its a plumbing issue or not - without the callout fee.
    That's a good idea.

ok just to clear somthing up here,first of all i said it sounds like a marble been dropped on my bathroom floor,ive never heard it rolling anywhere,it drops and bounces a few seconds and stops,definitly does not roll,i have tiles in my bathroom so can hear everything clearly,second i know what sound the pipes make when hot/cold water is on,when they heat up and cool down and so on and my brother is a fully qualified plumber,i dont have trouble with pipes or the tank ect,i do not have rats in my attic (dont even know where to begin with that),i have lived here nearly 10 years now,so i am use to the noise's of this house and know what is out of the ordinary&what is caused by what,even getting used to the footsteps and marbles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

One word - Poltergeist

That for me could and most likely (imo) is your problem. I think you should get a camera set up, a few around the house and keep it running. You could find out what is going on in a visual sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

i live in a groundfloor apartment and i hear thet marble/coin dropping noise coming from above. I know the woman in the apartment above me has 2 cats and they run around during the night playing, havent a clue what causes the noise but im assuming its a toy they're knocking around. She has wooden floors so makes the noise louder.
    Have you checked for signs of mice/rats in the attic? know you say you dont have them but check for droppings and holes around the walls between your neighbours, they could be in their attics and wander into yours at nigh. rats make a right clatter and the sound amplifies down through the house and can be hard to pin point them. Also magpies or larger birds running on the roof make a footstep noise that can be interpreted as spooky late at night. In my parents they have those large crane birds who make a right racket walking around. Could just be animals or birds in the attic or roof so maybe check that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

KeithAFC wrote: »
    One word - Poltergeist

That for me could and most likely (imo) is your problem. I think you should get a camera set up, a few around the house and keep it running. You could find out what is going on in a visual sense.

Are you retarded? Honest question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Dave! wrote: »

Aren't Moderators supposed to display at least a tad of political correctness or politeness in the forum? Honest question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cobra Kai

Rasmus, the exclamation mark is said to be the mark of an idiot.
    Poppin Candy, do you live in Hollyhill (Cork) by any chance? It could be another sign that the gates of hell are opening on the north-side. I'll get Derek Acorah on the blower, if unavailable you might consider getting Jedward to investigate, they are qualified Ghostbusters you know.

• Advertisement

ok so i dont have mice/rats,neither do my neighbours,im not convinced its a magpie or any sort of bird for that matter,after all it sounds like a woman reason i say woman is because it sounds like high heels,not quite footsteps,as i said these echo my house definitely high heels!! i dont live in cork and dont see that point in trynna be sarcastic or rude! so over the weekend my four year old asked my to bring him to the toilet,i happend to mention jokingly why he was scared to go by himself! He answered because of the monster,i asked where is the monster,and he pointed to the attic and dashed down the stairs! My sister came to stay just before christmas,she arrived early that morning,we were sitting having a cup of tea,everyone eles was in bed,the colour drained from her face and was convined she seen "somthing" in my kitchen,i kinda laughed it off,so she was very scared staying in my house and for the whole weekend had to sleep with the light on (my sister is 31) Also one night as i was again reading i heard a piano playing in my childrens room,i cannot tell you how much this scared me,i was frozen in bed,my heart was racing but i couldnt move as,like i was just froze as i knew for a fact it couldnt be my children,i eventually got the bottle up and as soon as i got from the bed it stopped,needless to say my children were fast asleep! I could go on and on with these "experiences"...glasses smashing,bangs,taps,telly going of, doors closing,dog is scared to stay in the house by himself,lights flashing,i am constantly freezing hairs on my arms stand on end and suffer with bad head aches,i have went for blood tests,everything has come back fine! I really think there is somthing here,but nobody has ever died in this house so i dont know where "it" has come from.

did you buy any antique furniture? some people say they can attract the spirits of previous owners. has any of your family/friends been messing with ouija boards or mediums? maybe get the local priest to come in and do a blessing, might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cobra Kai

I wasn't being rude--I am from Cork, like. The reason I mentioned Hollyhill was a 'haunted house' up there made it on the national news, check YouTube. Are you sure it was a female ghost--a small statured man such as Tom Cruise would make similar noises walking in his platform shoes.

stepdoyle wrote: »
    did you buy any antique furniture? some people say they can attract the spirits of previous owners. has any of your family/friends been messing with ouija boards or mediums? maybe get the local priest to come in and do a blessing, might help

Yes i have been to a medium myself,about 2years ago! She was very good,dont know if im allowed to say her name but is highly recommended and told me things nobody would ever know. The first thing she told me (i was strangely uneasy as she kept looking behind me) was that an bad spirit(my words not hers) was there with me. He had asked to her to leave the room so he could talk with me,she told me i know him but only to see not very well like,he had only recently passed was very angry,described him as big and intimidating and not very nice at all,so she had to get her guides to "get rid of him",she kept saying "he wanted me to leave you alone with him",she was very shook up herself,but promised me he was gone,so that was nearly 2years ago now,and this has been going on alot longer than that.

Have you gone up into the attic to see if there is anything in there that might be causing the noise?

If the lights are flickering you might want to get the wiring checked. You'd be in more danger from faulty wiring than from a ghost, and there's no harm in ruling out the mundane before you get the ghost hunters in.

kylith wrote: »
    Have you gone up into the attic to see if there is anything in there that might be causing the noise?

If the lights are flickering you might want to get the wiring checked. You'd be in more danger from faulty wiring than from a ghost, and there's no harm in ruling out the mundane before you get the ghost hunters in.

yes my husband has been up in the attic,definitely nothing up there,i am going to have an electrician look at the wiring because somtimes the power will just cut out altogether,the lights flashing isnt somthing that happens alot though.

A childhood of Scooby Doo has left me with a love of a good mystery; I'd love to have a nosey around and see if I can figure out what's causing it.

I hope you get the electrics sorted anyway, it must be annoying and worrying when it cuts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Dave! wrote: »
    If you haven't experienced, then you are in no position to question. That was just my opinion.

And don't insult me again you wanker.

Yes i have been to a medium myself,about 2years ago! She was very good,dont know if im allowed to say her name but is highly recommended and told me things nobody would ever know. The first thing she told me (i was strangely uneasy as she kept looking behind me) was that an bad spirit(my words not hers) was there with me. He had asked to her to leave the room so he could talk with me,she told me i know him but only to see not very well like,he had only recently passed was very angry,described him as big and intimidating and not very nice at all,so she had to get her guides to "get rid of him",she kept saying "he wanted me to leave you alone with him",she was very shook up herself,but promised me he was gone,so that was nearly 2years ago now,and this has been going on alot longer than that.

did the noises begin after that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OP you sound very convinced that what is going on is paranormal. You seem to have dismissed much of the suggestions as to what it could. Obviously i, nor anyone else for that matter on this forum, can say whether your house is haunted or not, but its important to rule out the natural before assuming the supernatural.

Hopefully you get sorted and the goings on are just natural occurences.

Advertisement