Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Athlone

Options
  • 27-05-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get broadband and I'm based close to the town centre. Can anyone recommend a good ISP with decent prices, etc?
    Has anyone got WiMax from Imagine in Athlone. I've heard one or two bad stories but they are from people based out of town. Would love to hear any reports on it in town.
    Thanks,
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

I got WiMax in a few weeks ago and very happy with it. Eircom could not be bothered to connect the estate to the exchange for the last 4 years so many people here got in WiMax when they advertised it a little while back.

Altho, one thing the sales guy was telling me is that they were only selling it to 500 people and I think they may have hit that target already. The reason for it only being 500 was becuase thats all the exchange can handle at one time. But they did say that if they got enough interest they would set up a second one. So might be worth calling them to see.

I got 3meg broadband with unlimited calls to national and UK landline numbers any time of day and its saving me a fortune. And at times I am getting a bit more than 3meg download speeds. So all in all very happy with them. Customer support are very good too. Very helpfull indeed.

PS: I dont work for them..just delighted to be able to have broadband where I am as waiting 4 years for Eircom to pull the finger out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

I got WiMax in a few weeks ago and very happy with it. Eircom could not be bothered to connect the estate to the exchange for the last 4 years so many people here got in WiMax when they advertised it a little while back.

Altho, one thing the sales guy was telling me is that they were only selling it to 500 people and I think they may have hit that target already. The reason for it only being 500 was becuase thats all the exchange can handle at one time. But they did say that if they got enough interest they would set up a second one. So might be worth calling them to see.

I got 3meg broadband with unlimited calls to national and UK landline numbers any time of day and its saving me a fortune. And at times I am getting a bit more than 3meg download speeds. So all in all very happy with them. Customer support are very good too. Very helpfull indeed.

PS: I dont work for them..just delighted to be able to have broadband where I am as waiting 4 years for Eircom to pull the finger out.

He's in the town centre, didn't ya hear!.. UPC FTW!

molloyjazz wrote: »
    He's in the town centre, didn't ya hear!.. UPC FTW!

And!? I was just saying its good and cheaper than the rest.

UPC is Corus/NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

And!? I was just saying its good and cheaper than the rest.

UPC is Corus/NTL.

And its good

• Advertisement

And its good

I had Corus in for my TV for a while, but was never realy that happy with them. Many times I wanted to watch something there was always sort of signal loss or the service was down or something else.

But turned to SKY about a year or so ago... Great service, hardly ever any signal interuptions..... but I dont really wath that much TV any more, but the young lad gets great use out of it. I think he has watch the film Cars about 50 times now with the Sky+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I had wimax for a month, I coulndnt get a reliable connection so I got rid of it but I ave to say FAIR PLAY to Imagine, they never charged me for the month as the service was so bad. I'll def give them a try in about a years time when they have worked out the issues with the whole 5Mhz/10Mhz transmission thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

we use perlico.

Better than the 3g dongle pce of shyte i had

Offy wrote: »
    I had wimax for a month, I couldn't get a reliable connection so I got rid of it but I ave to say FAIR PLAY to Imagine, they never charged me for the month as the service was so bad. I'll def give them a try in about a years time when they have worked out the issues with the whole 5Mhz/10Mhz transmission thing.

Got a letter from Imagine yesterday saying they apoligise for the poor speeds due to turning 500 people on the same network at once.. but they seem to have sorted it out and made whatever adjustments and for me, my braod band speed has increased a bit. I have 3 meg BB and am getting approx 4 to 5 meg download and the other night it reached 8meg. Their network can hold up to 20 meg i think....

Oh, and they are giving all their Athlone customers 20 euro back on their bill next month for the inconvenience of slower BB., I didn't notice the loss in speed, but I will definitely notice by bill be halved next month lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Got a letter from Imagine yesterday saying they apoligise for the poor speeds due to turning 500 people on the same network at once.. but they seem to have sorted it out and made whatever adjustments and for me, my braod band speed has increased a bit. I have 3 meg BB and am getting approx 4 to 5 meg download and the other night it reached 8meg. Their network can hold up to 20 meg i think....

Oh, and they are giving all their Athlone customers 20 euro back on their bill next month for the inconvenience of slower BB., I didn't notice the loss in speed, but I will definitely notice by bill be halved next month lol

I got the sae letter and Im going to try them again :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, they are quite good. Like I said before, im getting faster download speeds than the 3meg I am signed up for. So might be a good idea to go for a lower speed connection and see how it fairs out, you might get a faster download than you sign up for.

Advertisement