Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fussy Eating Dog Cured!

Options
  • 27-05-2010 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

When I got my Kerry Blue back in October she was six months old and had been fed Science Plan by her previous owner. I made a huge mistake of mixing some scraps in with the Science Plan and as a result, she would hold out at mealtimes and not eat the Science Plan until she was absolutely starving (going a couple of days without food). We then moved on to Orijen and to be honest meal times had become a battle ground. She was not eating and I had her at the vets with ear infections, kennel cough, stomach upsets etc. The situation was driving me mad. I have had 3 other dogs all lived to good ages, and never had this fussyness.

One day in the vets she was sniffing like mad at some holistic food, there were some samples available, but I forgot to take them and the next time I went back the samples were gone. Luckily I was in my local pet shop a few days later and explained the problem to the owner (Breffni Pets in Windy Arbour near Dundrum in Dublin). He suggested I try her with some Luath's Dog Food and he gave me a sample. I brought it home and I nearly cried with relief when she scoffed the lot and was looking for more. Only snag is that they only have 2kg bags available, but are getting the supplies rectified and will be regularly on stream from now on. I think it will work out around €55 for a 15kg bag.

My dog is still eating Luath's two weeks later and I hope I haven't put the mockers on the situation. The kibble is mainly rice and chicken meal with vegetables thrown in, and they are not as stiff as Orijen and are digested very easily, lovely crunchy sound when being eaten, music to my ears, the poo is very easy to pick up too. I posted this because it is absolute misery if your dog is not eating properly and hopefully someone else's dog will benefit from our experience. They also do a cat food.

http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I totally misread the thread title........:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Fantastic will pick up some samples this weekend. Poor Sindy is currently on hunger strike cause we changed her from Hills Puppy to Hill Adult 1 - 7. Trying to hold out but when she doesn't eat all day it gets worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I don't use Luath's or the other food they have - Robbie's. I have heard good things about them though. I feed my dogs Burns and it's developed by a vet called John Burns. His brother (Robert Burn) set up Land Of Holistic Pets.

If you are stuck you can get Luaths/Robbies at this irish online store. I think its the only online store one in Ireland that sells/delivers Luath's/Robbie's:-
    http://www.mobilepetshop.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Fantastic will pick up some samples this weekend. Poor Sindy is currently on hunger strike cause we changed her from Hills Puppy to Hill Adult 1 - 7. Trying to hold out but when she doesn't eat all day it gets worrying.

Let's know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I must try this with our Hayley - she's gone very fussy recently.She nearly has to be hand fed.She's getting old and had an operation recently. Her usual is Burns mini bites

As it happens our groomer seems to keep it (tailwaggers.ie)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I find it hard to imagine a dog that doesn't want to eat, mine are so greedy! But I've had cats that were really fussy, and know how bad it is when they won't eat, so glad your dog started eating again :)

Advertisement