Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real spitefull

• 27-05-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭

I hate being spitefull and bitter ... but ... I want Real and the Special One to fall - in fact fail spectacularly - they represent all thats wrong in the modern game for me - jose is a great manager and Real is a great institution .... but ... its hardly the game for the common man - back to local football or even the Championship across the water for me - where football is still football ... rant over

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What? This is hardly the forum for common man football in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

IMO Jose is good for the game. He is a great character. His interviews are excellent, and not the usuall BS you hear from a manager. Yes he is arrogant, but so what.

With Real Madrid, tbh, I dont see much of a difference between them and Barcelona at the moment, with their huge spending power. You could even compare the Real/Ronaldo/UTD debate with Arsenal/Cesc/Barce....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

I think the combination of lack of Loyalty on Jose's party and big spending bully boy tactics of the two spanish giants is disheartening to be honset.

Gone are the days when a club could do a Wimbledon and go all the way up in successive seasons. Alot of the romance is gone and players are not heroes anymore.

You cant have a situation where a couple of clubs control all the best players because of money and success, noone will get a chnace to improve this way.

Jealousy is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i think its a circus best watched on Sky Plus in the comfort of your home, who needs live entertainment anymore - bit like MTV's relevance to real music - now I'm getting cynical

I think Ashley Cole should be signed to add some real WAG entertainment to the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Trashbat wrote: »
    I think the combination of lack of Loyalty on Jose's party and big spending bully boy tactics of the two spanish giants is disheartening to be honset.

Gone are the days when a club could do a Wimbledon and go all the way up in successive seasons. Alot of the romance is gone and players are not heroes anymore.

You cant have a situation where a couple of clubs control all the best players because of money and success, noone will get a chnace to improve this way.[/QUOTE]

Its like that in every league in the World. How do you think Man Utd., Bayern Munich etc. stay at the top of their Leagues. Big spending bully boy tactics :rolleyes: Its a professional sport where money talks and the sh1t can walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Warper wrote: »

Its like that in every league in the World. How do you think Man Utd., Bayern Munich etc. stay at the top of their Leagues. Big spending bully boy tactics :rolleyes: Its a professional sport where money talks and the sh1t can walk.

Quite. Obviously the spanish seem to be worst offenders because of the more international nature oo their "bully boy" tactics, and the fact that their presidential elections systems are a farce that allows for constant tapping up through the media.

What i see though is a gulf in the opportunity for smaller teams to progress. In the life of the premiership we've had challengers in the shape of Villa and Newcastle come out of nowhere as contenders, and then Blackburn and Arsenal (relatively speaking) come out of mid table obscurity to win. Since Chelsea got the money, they rose quickly, but things have now levelled out and there is more dominance and rich/poor divide now.

Some may argue that tottenham may have bucked the top four trend, but that doesn't mean anything in terms of title challenge. It was the same 2 (and at some points 3) teams there all season long, and the gulf in quality and finances is evident.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Trashbat wrote: »

Gone are the days when a club could do a Wimbledon and go all the way up in successive seasons..

Fulham, Hull, Blackpool... and Bradford at the other end of the scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sadly the status quo is that way for a reason: most people want the biggest teams to win things, even to the point of jigging tournament/competition formats to protect them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it an Irish trait to root for the underdogs (or to hate success, if you look at it another way?) or do other cultures enjoy seeing the little guy give Goliath his comeuppance?
    Personally I'd rather see a different winner every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is it an Irish trait to root for the underdogs (or to hate success, if you look at it another way?) or do other cultures enjoy seeing the little guy give Goliath his comeuppance?
    Personally I'd rather see a different winner every year.

As long as the quality of football is high and it's entertaining, couldn't give a monkeys.

Advertisement