Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sf2 / Sf3: Which is better/ more acclaimed/ more HYPE?

Options
  • 27-05-2010 10:23am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Placebo wrote: »
    for anyone that doesnt wanna watch the full thing, i would recommend around 6:50 i think?

where chunli has no health and risking a chip lose, so he RED parrys the super into a full parry and follows it on with his super, this is why SF3 will always be more competitive, more intense and probably will stay the most acclaimed sf game of all time.
    red parry: where you can parry when stuck in a block string, its very hard, i think its 3 frames [cant recall] you have to let go off block and slam forward, making sure joystick is at neutral stage at some point.

I would like to see 3rd strikes review scores compared to world warriors, kthnkbai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

WW was ground breaking, but its not as competitive as sf3.
    Just like super mario on NES, then super mario brothers on SNES. analogy complete.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

WW was ground breaking, but its not as competitive as sf3.
    Just like super mario on NES, then super mario brothers on SNES. analogy complete.

Ooooh I so got to teach you lads how to argue. :)

When did competition come into it?

You said acclaimed.

WW is easily a more acclaimed game than 3S.

I am warming to 3S but in no reality will 3S ever be remembered the way WW already is.

3S is liked by people who really, really, really know their fighting games. WW is remembered by a generation.

This is OT but I might split it as actually it's an interesting twist on the "what's best" theme.

i couldnt think of a more suitable word. I guess i meant more
    UMPH !!!!!!!
    HYPE !!!!!!!

ejaculation [no homo] etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The SFII series is far more acclaimed, popular and better than the SFIII series.

its hardly better, or else we would be all playing it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We've played AE in most Saturday casuals over the last month or so and people play ST on GGPO quite a bit. I'd say more often than 3S in this community.

3S isn't even a main event at Evo this year, but HDR is.

its hardly better, or else we would be all playing it now.

I'd rather play ST or HDR over 3S anyday, tbh.

There was more cheering for ST at Day of Champions than either of the 3S tournaments i've played in (2nd and 3rd, thank you very much)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

But imagine if third strike was re-released on psn/live with updated sprites!

I'd play third strike before i'd play street fighter 2. Its all down to preference really

We've played AE in most Saturday casuals over the last month or so and people play ST on GGPO quite a bit. I'd say more often than 3S in this community.

I'm pretty sure there are SOLE SF2 players, that migrated to HDR, which is why community is alive. I remember seeing lots of pics from evo, the winners, being random people i had'nt heard of in other sf games

I'm pretty sure there are SOLE SF2 players, that migrated to HDR, which is why community is alive. I remember seeing lots of pics from evo, the winners, being random people i had'nt heard of in other sf games

Does this invalidate their opinions?

Does it matter why they are playing, or is the important thing simply that they ARE playing?

Is there a spoon?

• Advertisement

wtf? im just arguing choppers point of EVO having HDR over SF3
    not to mention that HDR is a newer release. 1999-2008
    9 years to be precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

The Beatles first few albums 'A hard day's night' and 'Help!' etc. were the records that brought the band huge popular acclaim and media attention.
    And made them the bigggest band in the world(of all time).

But nobody, absolutely nobody who is sane, would claim that these albums were greater than 'Sgt Pepper's lonely heart's band' or 'The Beatles(White Album)'.

I loved everything about SFII when it came out, but would be foolish to claim that it is a better game experience than SFIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

animaX wrote: »
    But imagine if third strike was re-released on psn/live with updated sprites!

I'd put money on a HDR of 3S happening.

Once super sales start to taper off, and now that original xbox online support has been shut down (& Anniversary collection with it,) , a HD remix of 3rd strike would be a definite seller.

Ken B wrote: »
    The Beatles first few albums 'A hard day's night' and 'Help!' etc. were the records that brought the band huge popular acclaim and media attention.
    And made them the bigggest band in the world(of all time).

But nobody, absolutely nobody who is sane, would claim that these albums were greater than 'Sgt Pepper's lonely heart's band' or 'The Beatles(White Album)'.

I loved everything about SFII when it came out, but would be foolish to claim that it is a better game experience than SFIII.

I would say ST is different rather than worse than 3S.

For me ST has a more well rounded dynamic. Parrying is great for teh HYPE but it leaves 3S with a very restricted zoning game (although still possible).

But some people like this, it's not wrong, it's just different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

3rd strike and ST etc are totally different street fighter games, both excellent.

But its all down to personal preference here , there is no point in arguing about them like we're comparing world warrior to hyper fighting, or sf4 to ssf4, cause sf2 and 3 are not similar enough for that kind of talk, they play very different and thus its more down to personal opinion on what kinda gameplay people like.
    A-Trak wrote: »
    I'd put money on a HDR of 3S happening.

Once super sales start to taper off, and now that original xbox online support has been shut down (& Anniversary collection with it,) , a HD remix of 3rd strike would be a definite seller.

As much as I'd love to see this, I actually can't see that happening due to how much of a pain in the hole it'd be to redraw every frame of animation in that game. :(

It'd take years. HDR had a longer development time than sf4 did.

I mean yeah maybe if capcom dedicate a team as large as the sf4 team to it it would be faster but I don't see them being arsed.

It is however only a matter of time before 3s is released on PSN and live one way or another. Maybe with some kinda filtering/stretching system that makes it a little better looking at higher resolutions but I really can't see them redrawing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I'd be happy enough if they smoothed it.....redrawing every frame to thet standard would be nigh on impossible. I'm not sure it would improve it that much, either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Sisko wrote: »
    As much as I'd love to see this, I actually can't see that happening due to how much of a pain in the hole it'd be to redraw every frame of animation in that game. :(

Completely agree with ya, redrawing all sprites in HD wasn't what I was alluding to, more a reskinned/smoother version with HD backgrounds similar to MvC2 on Live/PSN

strider0428092.jpg

Ah right cool yeah, well in that case that's a pretty safe bet so. :D

they can apply a filter on it to smooth it out.
    They mentioned they wont do it because SF3 is 60fps, so theres too many frames involved and hand drawing them takes forever and costs them loads but however saying that, as Paul mentioned, once the money flow gets static, they will hit that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

SFIII most acclaimed? Don't know about that, I'd be on par with Chopper/Doom on that point

As you guys all know I love SF2 just as much as I love Alpha just as much as I love 33 just as much as I love SF4

But in terms of which is really better I don't know if I could say, to me 33 is the game I played the most and took most seriously (that's not to say lesser for the other games)

And 33 has the best hype, I'd agree with that anyday. 3s is a hype machine, you can't deny that
    We've played AE in most Saturday casuals over the last month or so and people play ST on GGPO quite a bit. I'd say more often than 3S in this community

Well given I had no idea anyone really played 3s (bar kneecaps, sisko and farz)until Tin came, you could say we've been playing 3s since January in XGC. And the people who play the game regularly (me, dreddybajs and kiki) still play at casuals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

This commuity thought SFIV was the best SF game ever. Says it all.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't think the community (or the majority of the community) ever said that, although people keep saying they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Yeah, Ken B said it once but later clarified that he meant the most successful street fighter.

All the community is settled on is that we're all willing to play to play 4 because it's the only damn game we can agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Short memories guys.

Did you forget the bitching about super when that was announced too?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I can't remember anyone complaining about SSF IV when it was annouced.

Everyone was expecting another addition to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Well people are going to play games they like, so I don't know if agreement is a factor. People like Super so they play it, people like 33 so they play it etc, regardless of numbers

kneecaps think your putting words random irregular posters may have said on here into the mouths of us regular peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

Well I'm gonna get called a "scrub" or "n00b" or whatever, but I think it is... well, WAS, until SSF4. Admittedly you can get away with more mashing than in a game with parries like 3S... but it just seems more balanced. Plus FADC is pretty damn technical, so it's not like the skill has gone from the game... it's just harder to get totally pwned (unless there's a large skill gap... I can hold my own with most but for some reason, whenever I come up against Dhalsim it's clear the player has REALLY practiced with him and I get thrashed).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SFIV was more balanced than 3rd Strike, true.

But there's also a much smaller possible skill gap between top players; e.g. top SFIV players are maybe 10 levels above average. In 3S, it's closer to 100 levels.

Hence why Daigo can get beaten by players from any region in SFIV, whereas the Japanese were nigh-on untouchable -for YEARS - in 3S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    SFIV was more balanced than 3rd Strike, true.

But there's also a much smaller possible skill gap between top players; e.g. top SFIV players are maybe 10 levels above average. In 3S, it's closer to 100 levels.

Hence why Daigo can get beaten by players from any region in SFIV, whereas the Japanese were nigh-on untouchable -for YEARS - in 3S.
    Why is that a good thing? If there's TOO much of a skill gap, then the match won't be fun for either player. It's nice that one can become elite, but one can go too far with elitism.

Advertisement