Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitting reg. plates after VRT paid

• 27-05-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

I have just bought a car in the UK
    I now need to go to the VRT office and get my reg. number
    I wil be going to the VRT office in Santry
    Does anyone know if there is any garage/auto parts business in the Santry area that would supply the reg. plates, print the new number on to them and fit them to the car ?
    What cost would this be roughly ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

set of plates should be around €15. fit them yourself, just unscrew the old ones, drill and screw the new ones on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

steve06 wrote: »
    set of plates should be around €15. fit them yourself, just unscrew the old ones, drill and screw the new ones on.
    i paid 25 yesterday,(one of the screw heads needed to be shaved off)

some other clown wanted 30e here in clare:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Halfords make plates.. about a tenner each I think. They also sell the screws and white caps for a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks for the replies

Thing is I dont want to fit it meself in case I make a b@lls of it
    I dont want to go drilling or shaving off screw heads etc.

So, anyone know of any place in the Santry area or even Dublin area that I can buy the plates from, print on the number and get them to fit it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id probably go to Halfords tbh. Im not sure if they are the cheapest but they are very cheap and will fit them for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm sure Annesley Williams will do it for you, but it will probably cost (Mercedes Main Dealer prices)

Give them a bell on 01 842 8855 - just up the road from Furry Park and the nearest dealer I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Be wary of Halfords for fitting, generally they will just stick the plate on for you rather than drill holes and screw it on properly. That was my experience, anyway. Of course, it fell off after a coupl eof days and I ended up fitting it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Call www.qcp.ie when you get your reg no and they will have them made up by the time you get from Santry to their shop in the Feltrim Business Park just off the M1. I know one of the lads involved in the business but they did the same for me when I VRT'd a car recently. Though I fitted them myself they will fit them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why don't you just leave them in the boot, don't pay tolls and if you get pulled in just say you have to get them fitted! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies
    Thing is I dont want to fit it meself in case I make a b@lls of it
    I dont want to go drilling or shaving off screw heads etc.

I do worry when I see people operating near 2 tons of metal saying they would be afraid to use a screwdriver. You really should be a lot more afraid of using a car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

ive no problem using a screw driver

But if I have to go drilling etc. thats a diffreent ball game and with a new car and all, Id rather be safe than sorry and get it done correctly

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I do worry when I see people operating near 2 tons of metal saying they would be afraid to use a screwdriver. You really should be a lot more afraid of using a car...

To be fair, it plays on your nerves a bit when you snap a drill bit in the boot of a brand new car as the metal behind the gap behind the painted metal is a lot tougher than you thought.

I usually leave it to the professionals, but do on occasion have to mount plates to new cars and it just feels wrong drilling through the boot of a €50,000 + car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

R.O.R wrote: »
    To be fair, it plays on your nerves a bit when you snap a drill bit in the boot of a brand new car as the metal behind the gap behind the painted metal is a lot tougher than you thought.
    Use a for metal drill bit!
    :D
    But seriously, dont all the Euro stuff come with (from factory) Reg plate spaced and threaded holes that the Garages stick their dealer plate surround on? The variety of cars I had recently did, but none of them new.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Use a for metal drill bit!
    :D
    But seriously, dont all the Euro stuff come with (from factory) Reg plate spaced and threaded holes that the Garages stick their dealer plate surround on? The variety of cars I had recently did, but none of them new.

Think I've found one of those bits now - but a self tapping screw works even better!

Most of the stuff does have pre drilled holes on the boot for dealer surrounds, but when your one surround has to fit all makes/model, it's easier to drill through the plates in to the body work.

Advertisement