Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[NSFW] Breastfeeding Pic Causes Controversy

• 27-05-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

I really cannot understand this world we're living in today, it's out of control.... this picture is, imo, totally natural, funny, and very well captioned. ("the double-football hold")

At no point did I think it was rude, controversial, disrispectful.

Why the world feels the need to moan about images like this I cannot fathom.

breastfeeding250-thumb-250x250-689581.jpg

I've put the most ridiculous words in Bold....
    Actress Julie Bowen of ABC's hit sitcom "Modern Family" has landed herself in the spotlight for a controversial photo depicting herself breastfeeding her young twins.
    breastfeeding250.jpg

The photo, which Bowen took herself, has caused a stir of various reactions.

"Lopez Tonight" chose to display the picture when the actress made a guest appearance on May 17.

Bowen light-heartedly spoke about the photo with Lopez, describing it as "the double-football hold" and that her new babies "suck the fat out of you."

ABC's "The View" refused to air the picture along with Bowen's guest appearance back from September of 2009.

A spokesman from the station claimed it inappropriate for the show's daytime slot, saying it had "too much nudity." Instead, the actress mimicked the photo by using two dolls. Bowmen's twins recently celebrated their first birthday.

Read more: http://www.momlogic.com/2010/05/modern_family_star_shows_breastfeeding_pictures_julie_bowen.php#ixzz0p8JYt5GG

What do YOU think of her breastfeeding photo ... totally natural or TMI?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

Perfectly natural, you see fat girls walking around with tops so low that you see just as much as this photo.

People will just bitch over anything these days, i dont know when breastfeeding became a sexual image:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Cannot see anything at all controversial about that image.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it's overstating the case to say 'the world is out of control'. some nervous jumped up TV exec decided this; it's not a mass public reaction against images of breastfeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

i think it's overstating the case to say 'the world is out of control'.

I meant because this is not the first time people give out about images.

Remeber the father who took a picture of his own kid and was called a potential pedo?

Or the Paul Blart segway cop who was moaning at people in the IFSC

Or the guy in England who was arrested for taking pictures in a terrorist way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Tallon wrote: »
    I meant because this is not the first time people give out about images.

Remeber the father who took a picture of his own kid and was called a potential pedo?

Or the Paul Blart segway cop who was moaning at people in the IFSC

Or the guy in England who was arrested for taking pictures in a terrorist way...

I think this is slightly different (although equally ridiculous) in that photography has only recently become something 'you don't do in public'. Breastfeeding has pretty much always been that way :(

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    Breastfeeding has pretty much always been that way :(

Actually, good point... i'm just remembering the slight controversy that Humberklogs photo caused even though it was even less revealing than the OP picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Runaway runaway - its a breast :rolleyes: some people need to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

did she take the photo with her mouth?

and why are you continuing the histeria with NSFW tags? or is that just ironic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

As long this is a picture of non know person there will not be any problem for audience...when we start using famous names we will see some barriers.

Idea for a picture is great but I can't see taking same picture with my wife for an example.

Maybe I'm nor typical but my focus on start is on breast not on babies.

Trev M wrote: »
    some people need to grow up.

Give them a break, they just celebrated their first birthday :p
    subway wrote: »
    and why are you continuing the histeria with NSFW tags? or is that just ironic?

Because the sad thing is, some places of work would not condone people lookin at an image like this.

I don't want to contribute to someone getting in trouble in work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The worst thing about that photo is the distorted ratios.
    I think this is slightly different (although equally ridiculous) in that photography has only recently become something 'you don't do in public'. Breastfeeding has pretty much always been that way :(
    Actually, its only in the last few decades that breast feeding has become rarer in public. Before powdered baby milks were popular, it was the only option if you were out and about.

Give them a break, they just celebrated their first birthday :p

Zing :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Meh. Not a fan of public breastfeeding but not a problem with it neither. Suppose you have to do what you have to do.

As for the pic. Double Meh. Seriously, it's half a bit of cleavage. Not even a nipple. I've seen far more disturbing things than that. Plus it's fecking mother nature.

Though I think it's also because it's an US network - would be not even noticed if Graham Norton were to show it on his show I think. Remember Nipple-gate huh... prudes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

meh... typical US tv network bowing to the screams from the loons :rolleyes:

i used to work in a shop that had a cafe as well, which was quite popular for some reason with breastfeeding mums. in 3 years i only received one complaint - from an elderly priest, i'd guess in his early 80's. i told him i found it interesting that he had stared at the girl for over 15 minutes before coming to complain :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

we are start to miss whole point. It's not about breastfeeding but about taking pictures and showing them to public. I don't see anything bad in breastfeeding (it's natural) but taking pictures for magazines etc. it's a different story for me.

artyeva wrote: »
    meh... typical US tv network bowing to the screams from the loons :rolleyes:

i used to work in a shop that had a cafe as well, which was quite popular for some reason with breastfeeding mums. in 3 years i only received one complaint - from an elderly priest, i'd guess in his early 80's. i told him i found it interesting that he had stared at the girl for over 15 minutes before coming to complain :p

I bet you were always trouble in school :D;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Actually, good point... i'm just remembering the slight controversy that Humberklogs photo caused even though it was even less revealing than the OP picture
    was this the one of the beggar?

That's a serious set of twins she has, alright!

Not sure why this is surprising though. I'd have assumed people would freak and find it offensive. Personally I don't care, but it's one of those pictures that you can just tell people will moan about.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

They look like babies in a creche in Guantanamo Bay prison being breastboarded.

Oh that was only a slight controversy, one voice of moral indignation (and a reported post under some guff about (non-existent) breastfeeding laws Waaah!:pac::pac::pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Deliasz wrote: »
    I don't see anything bad in breastfeeding (it's natural) but taking pictures for magazines etc. it's a different story for me.

why?

• Advertisement

Breastfeeding laws?? Laughing - what tf was that about!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

More laws about facilitating it rather than how to do it :-)

http://www.thebreastway.com/index.php/breastfeeding-bits-and-boobs/the-law-and-breastfeeding

about whether it was polite (or legal) to take photos of women breastfeeding in public who quite clearly object to having their photo taken.

I helped draft that document :D

I'm not aware there are any laws pertaining to photographing breastfeeding women? Could be wrong..

reasonable expectation to privacy, possibly.

Speaking as someone who headed one of ireland's biggest breastfeeding advocacy groups for 10 years, if you do it in public, surely you don't have any more expectation of privacy than anyone doing anything else in public?

Edit: I should clarify (before someone misreads me). If someone doesn't want their photo taken, whether it be in a public place or not, then I think that should be respected. I don't like the idea of legislation however, as you're then suggesting that the activity/subject (children is another one) should never be photographed. Which then makes the subject/activity something that is 'otherised' and not the natural thing it should be. Like children. Or children having their dinner.

Ok I'll shut up now :)

Edit: I should clarify (before someone misreads me). If someone doesn't want their photo taken, whether it be in a public place or not, then I think that should be respected.
    well, that was the cause of the original 'discussion'. the law probably isn't a good guide on such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Trev M wrote: »
    Runaway runaway - its a breast :rolleyes: some people need to grow up.

Actually its two - and I'm not complaining!

Some seriously funny comments left by others:
    “The worst thing about that photo is the distorted ratios”

“They look like babies in a creche in Guantanamo Bay prison being breastboarded.”

Seriously though when I was younger I was fascinated so I couldn't stop looking when a woman was breast feeding. No that I'm older I still can't help looking (but am less obvious......Ma Ma!)

If people are going to breast feed its their right just as its someone's right to complain if they so wish.

• Advertisement

mrboswell wrote: »
    If people are going to breast feed its their right just as its someone's right to complain if they so wish.
    i don't think you're allowed complain - sineadw would probably know for sure, but i think you're not allowed complain to someone about breastfeeding in public.

i don't think you're allowed complain - sineadw would probably know for sure, but i think you're not allowed complain to someone about breastfeeding in public.

Who's going to stop you?

I have heard of restaurants asking women to leave before (no doubt they got in big trouble) but if patrons say something to a woman breast feeding what else can she do but complain.

Then again a restaurant is not a public place.

I think discretion is the key to keeping everyone happy.

Back to OP - if you want to photo your own boobs then knock yourself out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Meh, storm in a D cup.......

Back to OP - if you want to photo your own boobs then knock yourself out ;)

You really don't want to see that picture......

You really don't want to see that picture......

Actually I was referring to Julie Bowen and her well fed modern family

Who's going to stop you?

I have heard of restaurants asking women to leave before (no doubt they got in big trouble) but if patrons say something to a woman breast feeding what else can she do but complain.

Then again a restaurant is not a public place.
    from this link:
    http://www.breastfeeding.ie/working_and_breastfeeding/breastfeeding_in_public/

it'd appear that the complainer should be asked to leave in a restaurant, and that a restaurant manager has a duty of care towards making breastfeeding mothers feel comfortable.

• Advertisement

from this link:
    http://www.breastfeeding.ie/working_and_breastfeeding/breastfeeding_in_public/

it'd appear that the complainer should be asked to leave in a restaurant, and that a restaurant manager has a duty of care towards making breastfeeding mothers feel comfortable.

Yea I thought so - most people would be spineless and say it on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

America is a very different country. Nudity and overt sexuality are all frowned upon in the media and in daily life due to the strength of deep, conservative Christian values (of whatever denomination) throughout the majority of the population, and as such I'm really not shocked to discover this photograph making waves on that side of the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

One small point of pedantry - the double football hold is the technical term for the position in which she is holding her twins while they feed. There are others, like the cradle hold, the crossover hold etc.

I think it would be fantastic if more celebs breastfed in public and were willing to be photographed doing so. I hate the term role model, but if hot celebrities were seen to be comfortable doing it, society might come to veiw it as more of a normal thing. More pictures of functioning boobies, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Its strange that such a fuss is being made over this, sometimes I think the american media kick up a fuss over next to nothing just to give themselves something to talk about.

At at the risk of going off topic, didn't Salma Hayek breastfeed a stranger's baby in Africa once, all on video (check youtube). AFAIK went by more or less without any fuss. Why the sensationalism now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Its strange that such a fuss is being made over this, sometimes I think the american media kick up a fuss over next to nothing just to give themselves something to talk about.

At at the risk of going off topic, didn't Salma Hayek breastfeed a stranger's baby in Africa once, all on video (check youtube). AFAIK went by more or less without any fuss. Why the sensationalism now?

...runs off to check out Selma's boobies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Fenster wrote: »
    America is a very different country. Nudity and overt sexuality are all frowned upon in the media and in daily life due to the strength of deep, conservative Christian values (of whatever denomination) throughout the majority of the population, and as such I'm really not shocked to discover this photograph making waves on that side of the pond.

two words:

Britney Spears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Typical US f*cked up values, anyone who says this is an inappropriate pic
    is screwed up themselves for associating it with sexuality !

A nude body is a bad evil thing - but it's ok to show excessive violence in the middle of the daytime TV schedule ???

crazy...

EDIT -- why is the NSFW tag on this forum ??

the_monkey wrote: »
    EDIT -- why is the NSFW tag on this forum ??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66097830&postcount=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 muggins2003

it is totally natural - hat off to hr though - breastfeeding one was a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Typical.

Its that sort of paranoia that feeds the public "issues" with things like Breast Feeding. If the TV's are afraid to show it, then those that object feel more powerful.

And how come its ok to show TV programs about idiots getting plastic surgery to 'improve' their lives, but a mother providing milk is considered too disturbing for viewers?

What a messed up society.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

reasonable expectation to privacy, possibly.

While using child labour is as a begging tool on the streets? I think not.

Anyway it was you that said it was breaking a law, can you back that up? I think not.

i think i said possibly breaking a law. either way, the presence or absence of such a law doesn't change my objection to it.

i didn't see any child labour in the photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Since the merits of the photograph hasn't been discussed topic closed if anyone wants to talk about breastfeeding please go to the parenting forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement