Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone lend me a thing for spraying on wood preservative

• 27-05-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to paint the garden shed out the back with wood preservative. Anyone got the sprayer for doing this (presuming it exists) as it would save me a load of time. Mad busy doing up the front of the house with some railway sleepers I got. Actually, I'd do them also.. Think I saw something in Lidl recently for spraying paint onto things but didn't buy it as I wouldn't get the use for it.

Cheers,

Phil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

They cost like 5-10 euro for a hand pump one, itd cost ye more in petrol picking it up from someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

be warned that if there is a tiny amount of breeze everything will get covered in a light dusting. I spent 3 hours cleaning cuprinol off PVC windows recently....nd another hour cleaning the neighbours wall :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Where would I get one? Woodies or somewhere? Also, does it only take specific types of paint or anything at all?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with tiocimarla.
    Lidl or Aldi have 5l sprayers for €10.
    Weed sprayer Should work fine. Worth a try.

The preservative is usually more watery for sprayers. Its a lot thinner than paint.
    Sprayers spray watery liquid - preservative, weed killer etc. but not paint.

Some preservative come with a free sprayer, as a special offer.
    Personally I prefer a brush - gets in to all the crevasses. Does't take long on a standard 6 x 4 or 6 x 8 shed

Preservative won't stay on treated sleepers - they usually have an oil / stickey black tar type preservative in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The water based preservative treatments like FenceLife are pretty easy and quick to put on by brush anyway, esp. if you use a big brush. You might need two coats to cover it if it's the first time you've done it, but it dries pretty quickly and you can do the second coat without waiting too long. It's not worth the bother of using a sprayer and getting the stuff everywhere if there's even a light breeze IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Ye id use a brush personally if it were me, just buy a massive one lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I was out in B&Q yesterday returning a rugdoctor I rented out (had some hassle getting it in the first place as I needed proof of address and luckily enough I had a letter in the car - didn't want be going out there and back to Finglas again just for a letter...anyways, got my carpets nice and clean) and I picked up a 9L bucket of cuprinol and a nice fat paintbrush. The spray on things in Woodies were about €20 and the paint itself about €25 so the brush and paint was a no brainer. Total cost, €14.

Advertisement