Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Marenghis Darkplace

• 27-05-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum...

Just wondering is anyone into Garth Marenghis darkplace?

http://www.garthmarenghi.com/darkplace/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Marenghi's_Darkplace

I just got this in the post from ebay there and I'm hooked already it's brilliant! It has lots of great comedians like Richard Ayoade, Matt Berry and guest appearances from Julien Barret, Noel Fielding, Grahame Linehan and Stephan Merchant. It is so bizarre, it kind of reminds me of the dark off beat humour of the series Jam by Chris Morries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_(TV_series)

I love the story behind how they tricked the media into beleiving the characters were real people etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum...

Just wondering is anyone into Garth Marenghis darkplace?

http://www.garthmarenghi.com/darkplace/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Marenghi's_Darkplace

I just got this in the post from ebay there and I'm hooked already it's brilliant! It has lots of great comedians like Richard Ayoade, Matt Berry and guest appearances from Julien Barret, Noel Fielding, Grahame Linehan and Stephan Merchant. It is so bizarre, it kind of reminds me of the dark off beat humour of the series Jam by Chris Morries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_(TV_series)

I love the story behind how they tricked the media into beleiving the characters were real people etc..

Watched about 2/3 episodes on 4od, its quite good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Brilliant series. Think I've watched it 4 times, and that's me trying to not watch it too often. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Ha cool I didn't know how well known it was, afaik they didn't release neverhead on DVD though? I'm looking forward to getting really obsessed with this :D It's so unique I'm always so delighted when I unexpectantly stumble across a comedy gem to add to my dvd collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, caught it on the box when it originally aired.

Picked it up on Play a good while ago for a fiver or thereabouts.

You should check out "Man to Man with Dean Lerner" which is a fake chat show with Richard Ayodea's (sp) character from "Darkplace" as the host.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It kind of reminds me of a caricatured version of Twin Peaks, but set in a hospital. It's just....out there!

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yeah, caught it on the box when it originally aired.

Picked it up on Play a good while ago for a fiver or thereabouts.

You should check out "Man to Man with Dean Lerner" which is a fake chat show with Richard Ayodea's (sp) character from "Darkplace" as the host.

Ha ya I just ordered that today off ebay! Mad!
    It kind of reminds me of a caricatured version of Twin Peaks, but set in a hospital. It's just....out there!

Yep it's so dark I love the little details like the bad editing and using pre-recorded bits of dialogue every now and then etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It's fantastic....Matt Berry is a legend......Also check out Man To Man With Dean Learner......nearly as good.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

loved dark place, but just didn't get man to man with dean learner at all.. I watched a few episodes, and really tried to love it.. but it just brought me down with a serious case of the meh's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Must Check out Man to Man some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

loved Darkplace, its genius.

• Advertisement

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Yep it's so dark I love the little details like the bad editing and using pre-recorded bits of dialogue every now and then etc.

Now and then? Nearly all Berry's dialogue is done like that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This song is my favourite thing from Darkplace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dark place is awesome. Must watch it again some time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Loved this show. Amazing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mike stared in disbelief as his hands fell off. From them rose millions of tiny maggots. Maggots!? Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots....Maggots. All over the floor of the post office, in Leytonstone.

I have to say my favourite moment so far after watching it through twice yesterday is the bit where they walk into the hospital room to find a patient bent over the end of a bed being bum raped by a giant eye ball. Man I was not expecting that the first time round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I love this series , i would have liked to have seen more. Kipper the Eye Child and Scotch Mist were great .

Blood? Blood. Crimson, copper-smelling blood, HIS blood, blood, blood... blood. And bits of sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Absolutely loved this series. Very underrated. Pity they never made a second series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Absolutely brilliant series. Dean Learner brought out a spin off DVD too, which was equally hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Nightwish wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant series. Dean Learner brought out a spin off DVD too, which was equally hilarious.

Bitch killer!!!!!!!!!

i get these terrible headaches:p

the best moment on tv ever

i prefer tonight with Dean learner

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just started watching this on 4od (****ing great service). Does any have the opening theme tune as an mp3, I'd love to have it as a ringtone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

"He whisked off her shoes and panties in one movement, wild like an enraged shark, his bulky totem beating a seductive rhythm...
    Mary's body felt like it was burning even though the room was properly air conditioned. They tried all the positions, on top, doggy and normal...

...exhausted, they collapsed onto the recently extended sofa bed, then a hell beast ate them"
    - Garth Marenghi

Great show:)
    Just started watching this on 4od (****ing great service). Does any have the opening theme tune as an mp3, I'd love to have it as a ringtone.

Here: http://www.daniel.w.cooper.btinternet.co.uk/garth/Garthmarenghisdarkplace.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Resurrecting this thread because Garth Marenghi (Matthew Holness) has released a new book "Garth Marenghi's TerrorTome", with the audiobook read by Garth himself. Very funny and highly recommended, especially if you wondered what a full Garth Marenghi book was like, which I did! This one is about him entering a sadomasochistic sexual relationship with a cursed typewriter, so par for the course for Garth really :)

He's also doing a short tour in support of it's publication (dates below)

https://www.chortle.co.uk/shows/tour/g/33147/_garth_marenghi%3A_terror_tome_book_tour

I'm hoping to get over to the Sheffield show in November. Holness hasn't done anything with the character in years, so it's probably a one off chance to see the great man in person. I can't pass it up :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "press" quotes on the Amazon page are quality. A cunning use of ellipsis in one lol.

Time seems ripe for a follow-up series, if Holness was interested, though often with these things it's hard to Go Back.

'Reads like Garth's classic oeuvre of paperback horrors crossed with the X-Files, Faustian myth and bits of Manimal. Plus the cover is embossed with genuine foil at his insistence and at your expense'

Ken Hodder, Head of Hodder

'These three tales of terror by Garth Marenghi are... quality'

Queen Fang, NosFor(at)um.com

'A strong beginning, deepening intrigue and a knockout ending'

How to Write Magazine

Advertisement