Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic

Options
  • 27-05-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever been to electric picnic with kids? Considering heading along with our two youngest ones (4 months and 3 years). Interested to hear any previous experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Theres an infinite amount of better alternative destinations to bring a 16 week old Infant than a Music Festival - This is regardless of how well run and 'Boutique" it may happen to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

most kids wear head phones there...
    1316624581_28d0e64606.jpg

Do you really want the bother of minding kids there, it's going to limit you a lot....there'll be no partys for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Raiser wrote: »
    There an infinite amount of better alternative destinations to bring a 16 week old Infant than a Music Festival - This is regardless of how well run and 'Boutique" it may happen to be.

I'm not interested in better alternatives for the 16 week old. It's not for her. Besides, she will be 7 months old at that stage. _I_ want to go to electric picnic to see the Eels play. It is the only show they're doing in Ireland. My options for getting the children minded are limited. The website seems to encourage bringing kids along so I'm trying to find out if it's worth the hassle based on others experience.
    Do you really want the bother of minding kids there, it's going to limit you a lot....there'll be no partys for you.

That wouldn't bother me. Thanks though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

I'd recommend bringing them. I know a few couples that do.
    There's a huge amount for kids there. It's very relaxed and if we get good weather this year you'll have a ball. Obviously you'll be restricted in some ways but maybe you'll do and enjoy things you wouldn't have otherwise.

People who knock bringing kids to EP have to realise is, your not asking them to mind them. They might see it differently someday.

If you want to bring them there's no reason not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm not interested in better alternatives for the 16 week old. It's not for her. Besides, she will be 7 months old at that stage. _I_ want to go to electric picnic to see the Eels play. It is the only show they're doing in Ireland. My options for getting the children minded are limited. The website seems to encourage bringing kids along so I'm trying to find out if it's worth the hassle based on others experience.

You say yourself its 'hassle' what do you think you are lining yourself and the Child up for?

Above comment still stands even with the relative old age of the Child involved - No matter how good The Eels are live ;)

- I guarantee you though , if you hit F5 here long enough you will get urged to go along with multiple assurances of how cool it would be......

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    You say yourself its 'hassle' what do you think you are lining yourself and the Child up for?

I suppose that's what I'm trying to find out. :) Hell...it's hassle just getting them out the door at the best of times (I am genuinely shocked that I have not yet become a master of getting children out the door in under 5 minutes). I'm not afraid of travelling with the kids though. My thinking is that this would be similar but I don't really know. It could be hell on earth. Hearing others experiences is what I'm after.

Obviously I'd prefer to head along childless to an event like EP, but if there are really good facilities for kids and I think we might all enjoy ourselves well then it's probably game on. I don't want to go because it's cool though (though I hear it is cool, that's never been enough to sway me before....I do *really* want to see the Eels live though :)).

GopErthike wrote: »
    There's a huge amount for kids there.

Thanks for the reply. Can you give me any examples of the kind of stuff they have for kids? What I'm concerned about are toilet / changing facilities. Stuff to keep the 3 year old happy. Food. Stuff like that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The family area is kiddie heaven. Lots of soft cushions to play around and sit on. Story telling, colouring, there was a bit of a tea party place for kids last year too. The toilets are clean in comparison to the rest of the site. Same with the nappy changing area. Lemonade stall, popcorn

2 years ago, myself and herself went down to suss it out, see if her friends could bring their kids, it was lovely. And last year, you needed a special wrist band to get in there. So it's very private. I saw a man dressed up as Batman last year, his son was dressed as Robin. It looked deadly, I'd say the kid felt invincible!

Khannie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Can you give me any examples of the kind of stuff they have for kids? What I'm concerned about are toilet / changing facilities. Stuff to keep the 3 year old happy. Food. Stuff like that.

There is also the soul kids area which has puppet shows, arts and crafts, kids yoga, fairy trails, small fairground rides and all sorts really. My eldest who is 2 had an absolute ball there last year. Facilities are fine nothing special but adequate and clean. There's every sort of food so we've never had a problem with that either.

I can only give my own opinion. You did ask of people who had experience bringing kids. We've brought our kids since they were born and have no reason not to in the future. It's a great weekend..
    (Ps we don't camp, so that would obviously be a factor)

A opposing view here would be someone who could say they brought kids before but wouldn't again. But that hasn't been posted yet.

Ok, that sounds fairly amazing. Thanks for that. You say you weren't camping....where did you sleep?

• Advertisement

Lets just say we have a convenient arrangement.;)

But if we don't in the future, I'll try get a campervan or a big tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

beertons wrote: »
    I saw a man dressed up as Batman last year, his son was dressed as Robin.

Best dad ever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I saw a couple with twin boys aged about two, It seemed to be impossible
    for the parents because the children didn't settle.

Sorry to bump up an old thread.

Just wondering khannie, did you go? How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I hear there is a seperate campsite for people bringing children, can anyone confirm this is true? Also, is is completely seperate, like is it a bit away from the hussle and bussle and drunkards roaring at night and stumbling in between the tents??

GopErthike wrote: »
    Sorry to bump up an old thread.

Just wondering khannie, did you go? How did you get on?

I didn't go in the end. Didn't have the 480 euro + expenses to spare to be honest.

Advertisement