Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calve cramps

• 27-05-2010 2:36pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

I did a quick search there but not sure if I am having the same issues.

Started biking last year, only in and out to work, about 20km per day. Did a few events like GF and Achill Roar, on both my calves cramped up and "froze"

Been on the bike now again for last 3 weeks, have done spins myself, 40km's, 50km's and one 65km. Clocked about 300km in 3 weeks. No ill affects just soreness again. Avg about 25/26kmph per spin.

Anyway last night decided to go out with the local cycling club on a 45km spin. I was well hydrated before (take on board about 2 litres water each day). The pace was decent and my avg was 30kmph, then all of a sudden at 35km's into the spin the calves cramped and turned to rocks.
    Had to get off and spend 5 mins loosening them out.

As you can imagine it was very frustrating.

Now I have toe straps on the bike so not sure if I got shoes and clips would be better.
    The saddle was set when I bought the bike so I would expect that it is ok.

I cramped when the pace picked up a little so not sure if this is anything.

But is it just that I am not fit enough for them or that maybe there is somehting I can check like saddle position or stretches pre spins?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Salt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Could be any one of a number of things.

my money would be on salt or lack of electrolytes before and during exercise.

it could also be linked to circulation - ever have the problem playing sport or doing any other activities?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I had the Nuun tablets there during Achill Roar and the Connemara challenge but it didn't make any difference.

But I could chance a bit of salt in the water before I go out and have it in the water that I use.

Only once had the issue playing soccer before and that after playing 2 soccer matches within 2 hours of each other.

It could be "fat men can't cycle" syndrome too lol,

I must see if I can figure out of if the saddle has dropped since I bought the bike last summer, but these seems to happen when I put the pedal down or going up hills.

I would have done a good bit of running this year but it hasn't translated, in saying that, I was out for 7 weeks with ITB issues and am only back 3 weeks so it maybe a lack of fitness initally.

What mix on the salt in the water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My calves cramp sometimes while swimming, remains painful for 3/4 days afterwards. I have read up on it a bit, unless you have been cycling/running for 2hrs+ in warm weather it is not a lack of salt. The likely cause is lack of conditioning, don't push yourself too hard... it is just a reaction from your body letting you know you are over doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Lumen wrote: »
    Salt?

Could be lack of Vit B6 as can cause cramps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

yop wrote: »
    Now I have toe straps on the bike so not sure if I got shoes and clips would be better.
    Try this experiment. Use side of pedal without clips and move your foot forward so that back of your pedal is below your instep - I bet you don't get the cramps. As others have said, calf cramps can be hydration or salt related - but in your case you are pretty sure this is not the case.
    I always got calf cramps when I came under pressure but haven't got them since experimenting with a rearward cleat position ( 3 years aprx) so it may work. If it works but you don't like the position then work back towards original position in increments until you reach happy medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭teufelswerk

I'd find it unusual if it was salt or electrolyte related after an hour. You say that you've clocked up 300k in 3 weeks at 26k/h. Perhaps as you say that you were doing 30k/h last night the increased speed is the issue. You may have just been pushing that little bit harder than you're used to? At 100k a week in training, that could just be lack of conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Could it be that your saddle is a bit low? If you're not getting a good extension on your leg, then perhaps that could contribute...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Try this experiment. Use side of pedal without clips and move your foot forward so that back of your pedal is below your instep - I bet you don't get the cramps. As others have said, calf cramps can be hydration or salt related - but in your case you are pretty sure this is not the case.
    I always got calf cramps when I came under pressure but haven't got them since experimenting with a rearward cleat position ( 3 years aprx) so it may work. If it works but you don't like the position then work back towards original position in increments until you reach happy medium.

I will try that alright for sure. I might need to buy a pair of shoes and cleats as I am meant to be heading out on their long spin on Sunday. I will not use the clips on Sunday and see what happens.

I must have a look at the saddle and see if I can figure out what it really should be, that could be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I always get thigh cramp climbing or descending the Wicklow Gap regardless of temp or hydration.
    I always use NUUN.

It may be psychosomatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Always get cramp in my left calves (one or both) coming down Howth hill on southside of the hill but not when I go down into the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Salt. I used to do a fair bit of running and if I craved crisps of an evening it was a sign I'd get cramps.Listen to your body, try some sports drinks as well as just water, or the odd bag of crisps. If its a technical thing like saddle height the folks here will point you right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I used to get very bad cramps unrelated to exercise (like most things in my life). Started taking magnesium tablets and they vanished.

droidus wrote: »
    I used to get very bad cramps unrelated to exercise (like most things in my life). Started taking magnesium tablets and they vanished.

Funny you mention them, i started taking them yesterday on recommendation of my physio.
    I got 250 mg calcium/magnesium tablets so I will see what happens.

I have the bike booked in for Saturday as brake cable snapped this evening so I will get a check done on the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

That's been happening to me over the last couple of months. A few very painful physio sessions have greatly helped but it was recommended I use Tiger Balm and to rub it into my calves before hitting the bike. Plenty of stretching also helps to loosen things up.

That's been happening to me over the last couple of months. A few very painful physio sessions have greatly helped but it was recommended I use Tiger Balm and to rub it into my calves before hitting the bike. Plenty of stretching also helps to loosen things up.

Thats gas, must try that on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I reckon a big increase in average speed was the problem. 26/27km to over 30 is a big increase in effort so I reckon more miles in the legs at this pace will sort it out. Assuming you are well hydrated and enough electrolytes etc.
    And remember lots of s t r e t c h i n g :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

sy wrote: »

+1 If I'm standing beside a wall for more than 5 seconds I'll start doing some stretches.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

+1 If I'm standing beside a wall for more than 5 seconds I'll start doing some stretches.:D

Nothing like a knee injury to focus the mind on stretching :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

If you use Tiger Balm remember to wash your hands thoroughly before you put them somewhere else:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sy wrote: »
    I reckon a big increase in average speed was the problem. 26/27km to over 30 is a big increase in effort so I reckon more miles in the legs at this pace will sort it out. Assuming you are well hydrated and enough electrolytes etc.

+1

got cramp riding with innisfree wheelers when i pulled on the front riding way out of my comfort zone
    full leg cramps the evening after tour of sligo but again riding 160km at 25km/h av would be pretty heavy for me couldnt even stretch cos every time i stretched i cramped
    sitting for an hour afterwards in the car prob didnt help either.
    +1 on the stretching although i dont do anywhere near enough (and got tendon issues so should do better)

Thanks lads.

Is there "cycling specific" stretching or is it the same as what I would do for the football?

I spent last nite stretching and strengthening so hopefully that will aid me for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i go to yoga class (only bloke!)
    dont know how these compare to what you do

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-stretching-the-truth-17237

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/fitness-stretch-yourself-26074/

and dont forget your Salamba Supta Baddha Khonasana

I started some of them stretches (Rotational lower back, and Quad stretch) to help with the ITB issue and to strenghten my core so I can incorporate the others also.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I started some of them stretches (Rotational lower back, and Quad stretch) to help with the ITB issue and to strenghten my core so I can incorporate the others also.

Thanks for that.

Make sure you warm up on the bike before stretching, i.e., a quick easy spin and then stretch before the club ride starts. Also do an easy spin at the end as a warmdown and stretch immediately after you're finished.

I constantly struggle with poor flexibility so I know exactly what you're talking about:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Id say over 50% of cyclists dont stretch enough or at all, stuff like this seems common enough

For the past few months i ve benn doing a lot of self massage on a foam roller, rolling everying from calves to IT bands and upper back, i never really had any bad related sports injuries but this year i feel so much better during and after long rides, its well worth a look for something so cheap and you just do it on the floor at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

levitronix wrote: »
    For the past few months i ve benn doing a lot of self massage on a foam roller

Any product recommendations? Where does one buy these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Thanks lads.

Is there "cycling specific" stretching or is it the same as what I would do for the football?

I spent last nite stretching and strengthening so hopefully that will aid me for Sunday.

I used to get a lot of calf problems and I was recommended a very simple stretching exercise:
    Stand on the bottom step of the stairs, with the ball of your foot on the edge of the step and your feet horizontal. Slowly lower your heel downwards. You should feel your calf stretching. You can do one leg at a time or both together and you can balance yourself with the stair rail until you get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Lumen wrote: »
    Any product recommendations? Where does one buy these things?

http://www.irishfit.eu/foamroller.html

Here we go , i got the one for 29.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

bbosco wrote: »
    I used to get a lot of calf problems and I was recommended a very simple stretching exercise:
    Stand on the bottom step of the stairs, with the ball of your foot on the edge of the step and your feet horizontal. Slowly lower your heel downwards. You should feel your calf stretching. You can do one leg at a time or both together and you can balance yourself with the stair rail until you get used to it.

This is great for fixing achilles problems as well.

I still try and do this stretch before a run.

Just an update on this which MAY or MAY not work but I dropped the bike into the lads in Marrey bike, i got talking to Padraig there and he told me that the main causes of the problems were the saddle postion and also the fact that I wore runners on the bike with toe clips could be a big issue.

So now the saddle has been let down by 1cm, moved forward by 1cm and then levelled as it was cocked up at the front.

Also I bagged a pair of clips and shoes :) If I am going to continue to do 100km+ per week I may as well. No pints for a few weeks with that outlay lol

Thanks for the advice, I WILL definately still do all the stretching.

Thanks for all the advice lads.

Did what you said re the stretching. Also the new bike shoes and took on loads of water with salt.

86km with the cycling club and no cramps. Legs died after 72km so I ended up on my own at the end but happy enough as it was the longest I ever cycled.

Thanks again for the advice.

Now to get my hands on a bike jersey..... a boards jersey maybe.... lol :)

Advertisement