Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason 5 is on its way

Options
  • 27-05-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you can't contain your excitement but Propellerheads have announced they will be releasing Reason 5 at the end of the summer:

http://www.propellerheads.se/

Some interesting things revealed so far - nothing earth shattering really but should be interesting...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

rubbish app!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

empirix wrote: »
    rubbish app!

I don't know... Every app is what you make of it, isn't it. If you go beyond the presets and start messing around with it you can have some real fun with. The same could be said of any programme though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

I've signed up for Beta testing.. but its more of a have a look around for me than being 100% interested tbh..

Its ridiculous at this stage in 2010 that they are adding features like, being able to record audio into their program - Reason 5 - and for a milisecond, everyone is like - WOW!!!

But hang on a minute - I dont care. I dont care & take that feature totally for granted now cos I dont use Reason anymore. Utter Joke. Finally you'll be able to do a reverse hit within Redrum & thats meant to be worth the upgrade fee?

Well, unfortunately it is - as are all the other late in the day features that they have added that are essential to making peoples workflows less retarded. Whats next? A Spectrum Analyser?

Its funny that they are releasing 5hit piecemeal like this.. Makes their users grateful for a morsel. Ironic the fact that its Swedish & the whole "Stockholm Syndrome" phenomenon etc.. with its users.

Yawn. Fcuk that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

ICN wrote: »

Yawn. Fcuk that!

There's your pillow, breakfast will be at 6. Only kidding, never use it anymore myself.

Really people?..no love for reason?..the routing possibilities alone are unbelievable..it was never designed as a proper daw, more a midi synth rack..i dunno..i often wire it up to protools and its just brilliant like..as Android666 said, every app is what you make of it..and you can do pretty much anything with reason..(except, that is, record audio..but that wasn't what it was intended for..)

• Advertisement

dav nagle wrote: »
    There's your pillow, breakfast will be at 6. Only kidding, never use it anymore myself.

Breakfast is a feature of Reason 6?

LOL

I needs that in my setup!

Really people?..no love for reason?..the routing possibilities alone are unbelievable..it was never designed as a proper daw, more a midi synth rack..i dunno..i often wire it up to protools and its just brilliant like..as Android666 said, every app is what you make of it..and you can do pretty much anything with reason..(except, that is, record audio..but that wasn't what it was intended for..)

Its fine.. but I'm sick of the Nokia business model that exists these days where the whole feature list & future upgrade schedule is all mapped out in increments.

Sure its very flexible.. but lifes too short also - Thats just my opinion.

Hey - I'm right & your wrong! Mac Vs.PC! LOL

Ah no Mate - I know what you mean.. but at the end of the day, its a free-ish World & people can spend their money on whatever makes them happy. Everyone will enjoy I'm 100% sure..

Looks seriously great if all you use is Reason.

I'm actually looking forward to messing around with it.. but I wont be upgrading. I probably will when they stop OSX*** support to R3 eventually just so I can play all my old tunes :pac:

1000th post.

G'night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

people still use reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

jtsuited wrote: »

I've pulled all my songs out of Reason from years back, all my riffs into midi clips and now feed Ableton these tidbits and it gobbles them up and spits out some awesome stuff.

Routing possibilities? - well route this Reason users, Touch a knob on an effect in Ableton and you twiddle it and that knob will appear in every menu ready to be recorded/manually drawn/abused - oh dear, i appear to have recorded something in seconds (Reason user: let me drag that cable 60 miles up my rack looking for that stupid hole ;P) - (wait for it to scroll up ;)

I have Reason 4 gathering dust and i've written hundreds of tracks in it, their policy sucks nearly as much as Waves.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »

I do

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Routing possibilities? - well route this Reason users, Touch a knob on an effect in Ableton and you twiddle it and that knob will appear in every menu ready to be recorded/manually drawn/abused - oh dear, i appear to have recorded something in seconds (Reason user: let me drag that cable 60 miles up my rack looking for that stupid hole ;P) - (wait for it to scroll up ;)

Some of my most productive time is when I'm looking for the right hole to plug the lead into out of the sixty or so devices that I have open. I've figured out that I can't wiggle my ears or roll my tongue, that I prefer dark red to red and if I hold my arm in the same position over my mouse for more than 10 minutes I get pins and needles in my elbow. Take that Ableton users!

Still enjoy using it though…

I do

/hug ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I only use Reason now for Redrum rewired into Reaper. The only time I open up the program on its own is to listen to old songs for reminiscing with fondess.
    I think its still useful as an educational tool but its way overpriced for what it does, considering theres no VST support or record facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I started off on reason after I did a Real Sound course on it. Was getting some nice sounds out of it but it was fúckin nightmare with the wires and the scrolling.

Moved pretty swiftly over to Logic.

Are they giving the Record bit free with the main software?

http://www.propellerheads.se/

Kong is out - Looks to be a MPC type drum pad thing.

Edit - Kong looks deadly!

Fair play - they've needed all this for how many years now?

in fairness the dr rex & combinator player is handy but thats all the good i have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Have to say some of the new features do look pretty interesting, especially the kong thing. Being able to synthesis all your drum sounds from scratch would be great, would depend on how they sound in Reason though.

jiltloop wrote: »
    Have to say some of the new features do look pretty interesting, especially the kong thing. Being able to synthesis all your drum sounds from scratch would be great, would depend on how they sound in Reason though.

Yeah - exactly Man!

jiltloop wrote: »
    how they sound in Reason

At the end of the day, if you are selling tracks on iTunes from Reason, then it's not a problem.

But side-by-side, for your own ears it's pretty much Hardware synths still rule over VST, and VSTs over the internal Reason synths. (some VST that is!)

I've got all three types, many versions and way to much cash in the past to be able to find this crap out.

At the moment i'm using hardware backed up by VSTs, and on rare occasions i would keep the original Reason sound if it was unique to the sonic canvas (i've only had to do this once so far though on a track called the drift)

I do find the tonal quality of Reason a bit thin with the synths, but have sold an album with 10+ tracks that are Reason made - (and this was sold through Armada - so has paid for itself!)

This whole 'this one - over that one' debate is a strange one, as nearly every single piece of music sounds different in some ways - but the dynamic ones do tend to leave an impact on the memory more (like a decent banging 12")

Maybe this is why 'minimal' genre is getting a lot of attention - it can be made on most DAW and sound great (as it's not a track that has masses of layers)

• Advertisement

Meh, i dunno...the reason mixer is set at -6dB..thats why a lot of people say it doesn't sound great..thor is a spectacular synth..NNXT is a good sampler..and tbh, redrum is my favourite drum machine..and like, you can set the matrix to fire the hi hats and filter them..reason is a great tool..and that kong looks very good too..

there is no comparison Hardware rules,its clear as day, yes there are some great vsts out, i personally might use for effects but hardware is the daddy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 -jethro-

Reason is great, I don't know why so many people are knocking it? You don't need a built in audio editor if you know how to master, edit, bounce etc. I've met dj's and asked them what software they use - Claude Vonstroke used it for his Beware of the Bird album - which was awesome. I've been using Reason for years, its a case of love it or hate it I guess, but it does have everything you need as far as if you have the talent to produce it.

-jethro- wrote: »
    Reason is great, I don't know why so many people are knocking it? You don't need a built in audio editor if you know how to master, edit, bounce etc. I've met dj's and asked them what software they use - Claude Vonstroke used it for his Beware of the Bird album - which was awesome. I've been using Reason for years, its a case of love it or hate it I guess, but it does have everything you need as far as if you have the talent to produce it.

it is good, if you import your own sounds into it, i bet my life mr vonstroke used his own sounds and imported them in etc

• Registered Users Posts: 42 -jethro-

Touché... I've had studio time and recorded vocalists and stuff and importh them into Reason's samplers in much the same way. Ever heard Justin Martin's - 'The Fugitive', best track ever (imo) and he made it entirely in Reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

i've used Reason in the past and i loved it being a fully matured and grown up version of my first music software purchase, ReBirth (ahhh, the memories - i've some tracks still online, Driven being the more robust of the three or four out there).

but, at some point i found the sounds quite flat. no real depth. hence my switch to Live and VST's.

but, oddly enough, i've just started to rewire Reason into Live last weekend and am experimenting with the rediscovery of my old work. and, being honest, i much preferred programming beats in ReDrum than any other DAW environment for some, uh, reason.

i see from the Propellerheads store that ReBirth is available again for the iPhone/iPad. well worth checking out for "old's cool" entertainment.

I know that people complain about the sounds being thin or flat in Reason but there is a lorra lorra stuff you can do to fatten them up. Using the Scream unit as an equaliser by turning down the distortion makes a huge difference to the sound and can really fatten up a sound. Plus you can plug any of the mastering kit (limiter, maximiser, compressor) straight on to the synth to make the sound a bit more dynamic.

Most of the presets that come with Reason are rubbish but there are plenty of resources out and lots of free patches out there if you're willing to trawl through the interweb. And I agree with lazy atom ReDrum is great for programming beats when you get a couple of decent sample packs. Maybe you have to put a little more effort into to get the sounds you want, I don't know, but I don't understand the animosity for the program sometimes.

And like Matt says, if the people are liking the tunes does it matter what daw they're made on?

I know that people complain about the sounds being thin or flat in Reason

The only weight to start looking at other DAW is that if you want your record to stand out 'in the mix', then you really should look into other things.

I resisted Ableton for at least 4 years, now i could quite happily snap the Reason disks knowing I don't need to go back - and i'm a big Reason fan!

They really have made a clever piece of software, and it's not exactly a steep learning curve.

If you have never seen it in the flesh used by someone who knows, then definitely check it out if aiming at DJ market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i still think there shooting themselves in the foot but not making it a fully fledged daw.

**** off with your all in one solution.i want to be able to use 3rd party software as does every other producer out there.

its 2010 and people expect more than a closed shop when it comes to producing.

im not doubting that you can make music on it but jesus christ get with the times propellorhead.there no cheaper than everything else out there and everthing else out there offers far more than reason does.

making a song and dance about Record a year back was laughable.
    reason is just a plugin now and an expensive one at that and not one i find myself reaching for anymore

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    i still think there shooting themselves in the foot but not making it a fully fledged daw.

**** off with your all in one solution.i want to be able to use 3rd party software as does every other producer out there.

its 2010 and people expect more than a closed shop when it comes to producing.

im not doubting that you can make music on it but jesus christ get with the times propellorhead.there no cheaper than everything else out there and everthing else out there offers far more than reason does.

making a song and dance about Record a year back was laughable.
    reason is just a plugin now and an expensive one at that and not one i find myself reaching for anymore

Yep, the kong thing.... 15 years ago was little drummer boy application i think - nothing new, just incrementally selling people up to some final full app.

Great pity as the code there is *rock solid*.

Advertisement