Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason 5 is on its way

Options
2»

Comments

Well, the thing about the third party plugs and stuff..the reason reason is so stable is that they're not present..its a closed system..**** you can rewire it into the DAW and have the best of both worlds..i really dont understand the people dissing it..i think its probably, 'well, i started out in reason a few years ago, but i got new stuff, so reason isn't great any more'..reason is an epic piece of software for what it is..i generally have a few combinators wired into protools, and just throw **** into them as i see fit...if something's cool save the combi patch..it absolutely rocks ass..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think seannash hit the nail on the head earlier when he said that Reason is really just a plug in rather than a fully fledged DAW. I have a great fondness for Reason and I do find the new features in Reason 5 interesting but would never consider splashing out €400 to €500 on it.
    If I was spending that kind of money I would prefer to maybe try cakewalk's Sonar 8.5 DAW as it has alot more features or save up and get a mac and Logic (would do this tomorrow if I had the cash!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Neurojazz wrote: »
    The only weight to start looking at other DAW is that if you want your record to stand out 'in the mix', then you really should look into other things.

I resisted Ableton for at least 4 years, now i could quite happily snap the Reason disks knowing I don't need to go back - and i'm a big Reason fan!

They really have made a clever piece of software, and it's not exactly a steep learning curve.

If you have never seen it in the flesh used by someone who knows, then definitely check it out if aiming at DJ market.

I can't really aim for the DJ market tbh for a load of factors (quality of tunes, lack of studio set up etc...) so really what I'm getting off at the moment is just making tunes and trying out different things in terms of composition and learning as much as I can from the feedback I get. Don't get me wrong I want anything I do to sound as good as possible but I understand the severe limitations I am working with in terms of lack of experience and having to use headphones for mixing. Maybe if I had a full studio setup I would really get to fully understand the problems people have with Reason but for my situation its pretty ideal. I've downloaded Reaper and I want to get my head around that when I get the time to sit down and figure it out but I am enjoying what I can do with Reason for the time being. I find it intuitive and I hope what I'm slowly picking up from it about synthesis will help me out when it comes to working with other daws and VST. Anyhoo, that's hard earned, recessionary 2 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

you know what would be a brilliant bit of software (and possibly satisfy a lot of disgruntled ex-Reason-heads out there), if Propellerheads would ever allow it, but a simple VST/AU plug-in that would allow folks to access all their Reason Refills etc. especially if it incorporated their ReDrum machine.

like some sort of shell that could also "import" the other various Reason synths and tools, y'know what i mean?

anyone? no? yes?

if yes, go make it work code-monkey! i get 30% of all future profits...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

lazyatom wrote: »
    you know what would be a brilliant bit of software (and possibly satisfy a lot of disgruntled ex-Reason-heads out there), if Propellerheads would ever allow it, but a simple VST/AU plug-in that would allow folks to access all their Reason Refills etc. especially if it incorporated their ReDrum machine.

like some sort of shell that could also "import" the other various Reason synths and tools, y'know what i mean?

anyone? no? yes?

RMX Stylus allows the import of all REX format files - been using that for sometime now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Beta is out.

The Demo Song Autoload is a Techy Minimal yoke with a Kong & a Rex.

Pretty cool sounding for just a couple of things.

Havent had time to mess around with it yet.. but its nice that its so simple & cool sounding.

anyone? no? yes?

Ammm, like rewire?..rewire does pretty much exacly what you're saying..it's generally the way i use it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

One word- ReWire

EDIT: Actually two words Ableton+Rewire
    EDIT: Actually three words Ableton+ReWire+Reason

Its all good..

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

Ammm, like rewire?..rewire does pretty much exacly what you're saying..it's generally the way i use it..

yes. yes it does... i don't know exactly what i was thinking, but, yeah, Rewire does that. i think i was thinking of something that didn't use Rewire! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

yes. yes it does... i don't know exactly what i was thinking, but, yeah, Rewire does that. i think i was thinking of something that didn't use Rewire! :)
    you mean if it was selectable as a plugin instead of using rewire.

i definitely think it could be a big plus if you could bypass the rewire thing and just make it selectable and have it respond to midi on the channel.it would open a whole new market to them.

yes i know rewire is "easy" to do but to be honest i dont like messing about with stuff like that.

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    yes i know rewire is "easy" to do but to be honest i dont like messing about with stuff like that.

We'd actually need to ask Ableton/Hosts to do that (build it in) - they might even be up for it :) - that would make one scary plugin factory (especially if you could route external sources through effects etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Neurojazz wrote: »
    We'd actually need to ask Ableton/Hosts to do that (build it in) - they might even be up for it :) - that would make one scary plugin factory (especially if you could route external sources through effects etc...)

would it not be propellorheads end that would be responsible for that.if they had the option to have it as a standalone and plugin it would get alot more use i reckon

seannash wrote: »
    would it not be propellorheads end that would be responsible for that.if they had the option to have it as a standalone and plugin it would get alot more use i reckon

It's not a VST or anything even remote (and would be HUGE inside a VST 'wrapper' (correct me C++ people!), but would be easier for DAW companies to code an invisible rewire into their DAW to *look* like a VST (but would essentially still be Reason+Rewire) - just simpler...

I can imagine there maybe a few issues (like with routing) so both companies would have to work together - BIG outlay for a few clicks in their view :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

interviewing the propellerhead lads in the next issue of click magazine, and getting my hands on my review copies of reason 5 and record 1.5 early next month

cant wait to get stuck into kong

Advertisement