Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Speak English?

• 27-05-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All,

TechnoPhob here, I am having serious doubts about my ISP and I am wondering if anyone out there can advise me or at least help me decipher what exactly going on with our internet provider.

Our Broadband is Eircom 3MB Package
    A month ago our download speed was .9MB with our upload speed was .3MB

So I rang Eircom and they told me to change splitters because that was the cause, so I did and the download speed increased but the upload stayed the same. A week after that it started again, so I changed the positioning of the modem and the phone, put one upstairs and one downstairs (like naughty children) and things improved until yesterday. Our speed was .32MB download and .31MB upload..... Can the internet get sick? Does it go through phases of being less powerful? Has the hot weather effected it or is it allergic to the pollen count increase?
    So anyway, I ring Eircom back and they suggest putting a splitter into the modems cable to 'stop any noise getting through and effecting my signal'.......... Sound right?

I have no clue about this internet jargon and I am starting to doubt my ISP

As you can see below, I get a grade 'F' on the Ping test.....

17696677.png

What is packet loss???? :(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

This is what you should be getting... i have the same broadband.

827816038.png

17697716.png

Thats what im getting right now and what i always am getting

why your broadband is doing that i have no idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Munky wrote: »
    Hi All,

TechnoPhob here, I am having serious doubts about my ISP and I am wondering if anyone out there can advise me or at least help me decipher what exactly going on with our internet provider.

Our Broadband is Eircom 3MB Package
    A month ago our download speed was .9MB with our upload speed was .3MB

So I rang Eircom and they told me to change splitters because that was the cause, so I did and the download speed increased but the upload stayed the same. A week after that it started again, so I changed the positioning of the modem and the phone, put one upstairs and one downstairs (like naughty children) and things improved until yesterday. Our speed was .32MB download and .31MB upload..... Can the internet get sick? Does it go through phases of being less powerful? Has the hot weather effected it or is it allergic to the pollen count increase?
    So anyway, I ring Eircom back and they suggest putting a splitter into the modems cable to 'stop any noise getting through and effecting my signal'.......... Sound right?

What is packet loss???? :(:(:(

Log into your router through a browser on 192.168.1.254, and find the line stats section, with attenuation and SNR values and post those here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Munky wrote: »

You need a filter on your phone lines (all phones, Sky boxes, etc) and you should have the modem connect through a filter/splitter. This will have 2 ports, one will say phone and the other says modem. The modem goes to the modem side (obviously), and you can connect a phone to the other side if you want to have a phone at the same socket as the modem.

If you don't have this splitter (it should have come with the modem) then you need to buy one. Peats, Maplin, etc will sell them, or they can be bought online. Something like this is what you want.

Beyond that, you should do as the others above said, check stats and do a speed test (www.speedtest.net).

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

Spear wrote: »
    Log into your router through a browser on 192.168.1.254, and find the line stats section, with attenuation and SNR values and post those here.

I should have called this thread 'anyone speak english'.........

I have no idea what you mean sorry. Whats an SNR value?

Just looked it up and I cannot find a Signal to noise ratio anywhere but the attenuation is 54/31 dB. Now what that means, I have no clue...

Freekin Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

54dB is quite high attenuation. If that's downstream attenuation, then you won't get better than 4Mbps on your line. Since you're on 3Mbps, that shouldn't be too much of an issue, but that's not to say there won't be an issue. The lower the attenuation, the better your line is. If your SNR is low, that's a problem too. Combine high attenuation with a low SNR, and you could be in a lot of trouble keeping a stable connection. The SNR figure should be on the same page as the attenuation. Not sure if they use a different name for it.

You need to enable Expert Mode to see this.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    That site gives a lot of detail on what the various stats mean, and their impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

Cheers all,

here's the updated test results.....

828812858.png

17753434.png

Its changing daily, is that normal?

Advertisement