Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Mmmmm Pete Doherty....

SO MUCH hotter minus the cigarette though

(and the crack/heroin etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

meh tbh.

I'm a semi-social smoker.I smoked like a trucker when I was out years ago,then I just stopped for 3 years.
    i've sort of taken up the habit again in college, mainly because I prefer the beer garden to the bar itself.
    I'm not really the kind of person to get addicted to stuff,I just like smoking.I'd stop tomorrow if I had,I won't be smoking now I'm home for summer,I'll be working too much.I've a half pack of John player blue sitting in my desk,I bought them 2 month ago,smoker fail tbh

I'd nearly prefer smoking to drinking tbh,both are fairly addictive and I'd rather be a smoker than a f*cktard alcho.

I tried just because I'm 'a try anything once' kind of guy.I can't stand people who are obnoxiously anti-smoking[a friend of mine has a habit of taking smokes out of peoples mouths and stamping on them,WTF people]

and yes,I know it's unhealthy, so is drinking and eating badly,I've nearly died a few times already,if I live long enough to die of lung cancer I'll be shocked.Let me die in my buzz-filled cloud of smog if I want to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I smoke, I enjoy it, it makes me look all cool and self destructive........

I really don't care hugely about what others think of me either tbh, so mneh on whether it's disgusting/whatever.

Having said that, I generally try not to smoke around people who don't smoke (With the occasional exception........ >_>).

I also like having an excuse to nip outside when I'm in the library/pub/whatever.......

MNEH! I just dont think about it.

But!
    Lady Bracknell. [Pencil and note-book in hand.] [......] Do you smoke?

Jack. Well, yes, I must admit I smoke.

Lady Bracknell. I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind. There are far too many idle men in London as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm a smoker, never really tried to quit. I don't see the point in spending a large part of my life denying myself something I really want and really enjoy.
    bythewoods wrote: »
    I ****ing love smoking.
    Love it.

Oh, I know the dangers. I've held the lungs of a dead smoker in my hands. I've poked mushy bits of disintegrated lung which were so ****ed they couldn't even be examined properly. I've held the lungs of an emphysema patient.

I still don't care. I ****ing love it.
    And there's very few things I enjoy.

I love it too! Nothing like a cigarette in the morning, after a nice meal, with a cup of tea, with a few drinks, when you're stressed etc. It's a good way to schedule study breaks as well, or to escape from a room "ooh ye're talking about sex and the city! I must just nip out for a smoke there.." love the camraderie between smokers as well, I know it's wrong but I instinctively kind of mistrust non-smokers.

That said I plan to quit this summer, and I'm genuinely terrified at the prospect, which is as good a reason to quit as any (my main motivation in making that decision was the cost, I switch to rollies when times are tough but it's still very costly, oh and fyi, if you roll them with three skins they're much nicer). I don't like the feeling of being genuinely addicted to anything, and when it comes down to it nicotine is one of the most addictive, not to mention poisonous substances in the world. I had my first cigarette when I was 15, I'd say I've been a proper smoker since about 17, with brief periods of quitting.

I feel very strange about quitting, in a way it's kind of facing up to your mortality, sure you can bang on about the cost, how it affects your fitness, it might be giving you a bit of a cough etc, but I'd say for most people the reasons for quitting can be summed up in three words: cancer and emphysema. By quitting you're acknowledging that years and years and years down the line, some behaviour you're engaging in now is going to affect the time and nature of your actual death, and your quality of life leading up to it. A friend of mine who's a life-long asthmatic and was also smoking twenty a day was told by a doctor that if she kept smoking she'd be dead in a year, and that if she smoked one more packet of cigarettes she'd pretty much be in the early stages of emphysema, she quit straight away and hasn't had any in a couple of weeks, despite numerous attempts to quit before. That's why I think people's parents can't make them quit when they're teenagers, the dangers don't have that immediacy, you don't think, as a teenager, that you're ever going to die.

I tried just because I'm 'a try anything once' kind of guy.I can't stand people who are obnoxiously anti-smoking[a friend of mine has a habit of taking smokes out of peoples mouths and stamping on them,WTF people]

Jesus, that's a good way to get a slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I've often considered it due to 1-pressure from friends 2-stress 3-a social thing to do...e.g askin a girl for a light, etc haha

Have yet to have one though.

Don't do it... in twenty years you'll be cursing the day you did... and wishing you could give up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I don't smoke much at all. Back when I used to swim I wasn't able to drink or smoke at all due to the demands of training. After I quit I started drinking heavily and smoked when I was out drinking. I've pretty much stopped smoking now though. Wouldn't like to get addicted at all.

a friend of mine has a habit of taking smokes out of peoples mouths and stamping on them,WTF people]

Someone should do it to him the next time he orders a round of shots at the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I don't smoke, never will either. I've had a puff of one once of twice, but wouldn't risk it tbh. My chest is fairly messed up with asthma and infections as it is, so I don't want to make myself sicker than I have to be already.

I don't mind if other people smoke, it's up to you, and a lot of the time on nights out, because me and one other person would be the only ones out of my group of friends who don't smoke, I end up in smoking areas.

What irritates me though, is when waiting for a bus or whatever and someone lights up right beside, with the wind blowing towards you, with smoke ending up in my face. Písses me off so much.

I personally really can't understand social smoking, what's the point. You know you're going to end up getting addicted eventually. You'd have to be pretty dumb to not know what the risks are to your health by doing it. You deal with whatever comes to you because of it. Nobody forced you to start. Don't come complaining to me when you can barely breath because of smoke. Try having that all your life without ever having smoked. You should appreciate having healthy lungs while you still do.

Then my general approach to life, your life, your choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I don't smoke, I've never tried it, and I have no interest in doing so. :)

My Dad was an extremely heavy smoker when he was around, and he didn't give a shít how it affected any of us. He's the only person I've ever tried to stop smoking, and I tried really fúcking hard, because I was sick of living in a house that constantly smelled like smoke, of having smoke being blown in my face all the time, and the whole, wanting him to y'know, not die, thing. He never gave up - if anything he smoked more. He just completely turned me off it.

Couldn't care less about other people smoking, so long as it's not all in my face, but I just have never had any inclination to try it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

*Ahem*

The title is a song lyric, this thread is not literally about smokers outside hospital doors. It's just all apt and ironic and stuff so yes. Just clearing that up.

Continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Hotaru wrote: »
    "The saddest thing that I’d ever seen
    Were smokers outside the hospital doors"

St Vincents hospital (The big hospital near UCD) banned smoking on its premises. Other hospitals may follow suit soon.

I don't smoke but I couldn't care less if people smoke or not. The end of the day its their own bodies and I couldn't give a s**t what other people put in their bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

unknown13 wrote: »
    St Vincents hospital (The big hospital near UCD) banned smoking on its premises. Other hospitals may follow suit soon.

See above post please :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Hotaru wrote: »
    *Ahem*

The title is a song lyric, this thread is not literally about smokers outside hospital doors. It's just all apt and ironic and stuff so yes. Just clearing that up.

Continue!

We know. People are just trying to forget that that album ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I had a singular drag in Irish College, just because it was offered to me by a teacher there, and when a supposedly responsible adult offers you a cigarette, as a cure for fatigue I might add, god damn, you better smoke it.

Otherwise, I've never been interested because I don't really get the attraction- smoking's only relaxing because you're addicted to it, not because it's magic or anything. It's horribly expensive. It's also not very good for you. But most of all, it's not magic and horribly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I smoke because I enjoy it. I don't give a fúck what anyone thinks of me because of it, I'll keep doing it, because I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ms.Odgeynist

jumpguy wrote: »
    Feminists are equated with thugs, HIV and paedo priests? :P
    Thank you Jumpguy - finally someone who sees the evil inherent in feminism!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I'm about 8 days smoke free at this stage. This is as long as I lasted without smoking the last time I quit. Getting much more severe cravings this time tho. But regardless, I shall succeed :pac:

Recently I have been really put off from smoking by two events.

The first one was when I was taking a break from my English paper 1, I was outside and I realised that If I was doing the exam and smoking. After an hour my concentration would go slightly and cravings would set in for a smoke. It could do damage to possible marks.

The other event was when I was out and one of my classmates got an empty cigarette box, pulled the plastic up around most of the way and put a cigarette into the side of the plastic. I saw what cigarette actually does and I didn't like the site of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I smoke when I'm out drinking, never when sober. Hate it when I'm sober. I can't explain it really, just like to have one with a few drinks. If i buy cigarettes I usually give half of them away because I know I won't use them until the next time I go out. Tried it about 2 years ago and just continued to since then. My Mam knows and all she said was don't ever let me see you smoking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Never seen the fascination with smoking. Tried it once, wasn't overly impressed and it smells awful. Its not worth the bother as my parents would murder me and my boyfriend won't even hug me if I smell of smoke from hanging smokers so I can't imagine what he'd be like if I actually smoke myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I've smoked a few times when drunk but I've never been tempted to try one sober. I look upon smoking as a massive waste of money tbh.

In saying that if I'm ever to wear a tuxedo it'd have to be complemented with a big cigar. I'd look dashing.

gimlir.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I don't smoke and I don't have any problem with people who do,it's your life you can do whatever you want with it.One thing that i do find a bit pathetic though is people over the age of 18 who don't tell their parents that they smoke.Grow up people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I just found out that a girl who went to school with me is 6 months pregnant. Now she was always a bit of a tool but she has surpassed herself this time. She is still smoking while pregnant.

You can not get more selfish than that ffs. I did half a year of midwifery and we heard such horror stories about the newborns of smokers that I thought it was uncommon. It's not. And that is the saddest thing ever.

I only did one placement but the most heartbreaking thing was coming in to the hospital and 7.30 and seeing heavily pregnant women, many who clearly already had problem with their pregnacies as they were already in the hospital and some would be on drips, Smoking.

They just make me so angry. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I don't smoke and I don't have any problem with people who do,it's your life you can do whatever you want with it.One thing that i do find a bit pathetic though is people over the age of 18 who don't tell their parents that they smoke.Grow up people!

Do you inform your mum or dad about everything you do though?

"Hi mum, just letting you know I drank till vomited last night"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The other event was when I was out and one of my classmates got an empty cigarette box, pulled the plastic up around most of the way and put a cigarette into the side of the plastic. I saw what cigarette actually does and I didn't like the site of it.

Sorry but what?

I can't understand a bit of that. :D

Jako8 wrote: »
    Sorry but what?

I can't understand a bit of that. :D

The cigarette was put into the plastic and it burn and the smoke gathered up inside the little plastic compartment. It was a horrible sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The cigarette was put into the plastic and it burn and the smoke gathered up inside the little plastic compartment. It was a horrible sight.

Oh, that thing!

Like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

In Cork University Hospital they've brought in a rule that you can't smoke outside the hospital doors and you can't smoke on the hospital grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

The idea of smoking doesn't appeal to me, so I've never tried it. The feeling of warmth in your chest is probably quite enjoyable, but I tend to choke on smoke and the physiological toll scares away any interest I might have.

Apparently I've got an addictive sort of personality, so it's probably best that I don't give it a try. I've got enough pleasant but unhealthy vices as it is. :p

I don't mind when other people smoke around me, provided their brand of choice doesn't smell too bad. I might get concerned seeing a friend become dependent upon smoking, but I don't think it'd be right to interfere. It's their body, and if it makes them happier then fair play!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

StereoLove wrote: »
    In Cork University Hospital they've brought in a rule that you can't smoke outside the hospital doors and you can't smoke on the hospital grounds

Instead all the smokers are down by the emergency entrance by the roundabout - which they shouldn't be doing as it is still on hospital grounds, but there is simply no one to police it - there still are people smoking at the entrances as well. It'll cost too much to police it, and the HSE would be much better to give the over stretched hospital more resources than setting up a system to police it imo
    A recent staff and patient survey conducted at CUH identified that 73 per cent of patients and 64 per cent of staff were supportive of CUH becoming a smoke-free campus. Half of all inpatients who smoke were also in favour of the policy, with 56 per cent expressing an interest in stopping smoking.

Anyway, I've never smoked, never will - found out recently that I am asthmatic, but I would never have smoked anyway. Mam does smoke, her attitude is that life is too short to be going without things that you enjoy, so if you enjoy smoking, smoke. Her best story is about her friend that was married to a health freak, would eat very healthily, exercise regularly and not go anywhere where he though people may be smoking - he dropped dead out on a run. Acting all healthy does not mean a better life - I've no problem with smokers, personal preference if people want to smoke or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 xAnnex

Personally can't stand smoking, find the smell disgusting :P
    I think it's rude when smokers smoke in Public places like a bus stop when there are loads of other non-smokers who have to stand around near them, inhaling their smoke.
    Sorry I'm not trying to make a dig at smokers, doesn't bother me if people smoke in appropriate areas, but not Public Places.

Advertisement