Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

illiop wrote: »
    I only smoke when I'm drunk. I have 2 lines I'm not allowed to cross: no sober smoking and no buying my own fags (I did buy a cigar once for the laugh though).
    I started because I love hanging out in the smoking area on nights out and I felt a bit left out without them...plus I carry a lighter so when I lend it to people they often offer a cigerette in return and I have to do something with it. I do feel like a bit of a sell out though because i made it to 18 with out ever doing it and then gave in

You can hang out in the smoking are without smoking?! I've done it for two years now and never even had an inclination to smoke! 'Social smokers' really annoy me though. You either smoke or you don't. Don't do it for the attention or because you're drunk. You're just asking to get addicted then. And I can see that happening with every 'social smoker' I know, yet they still try to claim that they're not smokers.

I have no specific reason why I don't smoke, I just have never wanted to tbh. Although with my health it's probably better that I don't anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I just found out that a girl who went to school with me is 6 months pregnant. Now she was always a bit of a tool but she has surpassed herself this time. She is still smoking while pregnant.

You can not get more selfish than that ffs. I did half a year of midwifery and we heard such horror stories about the newborns of smokers that I thought it was uncommon. It's not. And that is the saddest thing ever.

I only did one placement but the most heartbreaking thing was coming in to the hospital and 7.30 and seeing heavily pregnant women, many who clearly already had problem with their pregnacies as they were already in the hospital and some would be on drips, Smoking.

They just make me so angry. :mad:

Girl at my debs was about 5/6 months pregnant as well, smoking and even drinking because 'it was her debs'. And she wanted to be a midwife!
    That is just shameful. The poor baby. If you've gotten yourself pregnant be responsible and look after the baby, don't be so selfish as to harm it just because you want a smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I just dont get it at all.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Jako8 wrote: »
    Oh, that thing!

Like this?

Do I really want that shít in my body. NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Haven't smoked in agesssss now. Have only had one sneaky schmoke in the last month-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »
    Do I really want that shít in my body. NO

Grand dont smoke, but I fail to see what's so fúcking horrific about what looks like tasty tasty fume laden CLOUDS

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Fad wrote: »
    Grand dont smoke, but I fail to see what's so fúcking horrific about what looks like tasty tasty fume laden CLOUDS

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

LOL, this is coming from a science student.

LOL, this is coming from a science student.

I dont do biology/a surprising proportion of science students smoke/cigarette smoke has benzene in it OMNOMNOMNOM Leukemia.

Next irrelevant statement plz!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Next irrelevant statement plz!
    Broccoli is delicious.

I dont do biology/a surprising proportion of science students smoke/cigarette smoke has benzene in it OMNOMNOMNOM Leukemia.

Good for you. Enjoy the diseases that come your way.

• Advertisement

Good for you. Enjoy the diseases that come your way.

I am struggling to contain myself. Gonna be such good craic! :D

I am struggling to contain myself. Gonna be such good craic! :D

They will be good craic, you are going to have a wonderful time, best of all the only person you can blame is yourself.

They will be good craic, you are going to have a wonderful time, best of all the only person you can blame is yourself.

Nah, I'll blame God, s'what dying people do :D

Nah, I'll blame God, s'what dying people do :D

You said this weekend you weren't religious.

You said this weekend you weren't religious.

*clutching face.......*

It's a stereotype that a lot of dying people turn to "God" in desperation......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Both of you two, cop the fuck on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

You can hang out in the smoking are without smoking?! I've done it for two years now and never even had an inclination to smoke! 'Social smokers' really annoy me though. You either smoke or you don't. Don't do it for the attention or because you're drunk. You're just asking to get addicted then. And I can see that happening with every 'social smoker' I know, yet they still try to claim that they're not smokers.

This is exactly what I thought before I started doing it but it's just not true. Not for me anyway. I can't remeber the last time I had a cigarette. It was well over a month ago anyway.

I'm not going to lie though, I did start it because of peer pressure (well, is there any other reason to start smoking?). I'm not going to make any apologies for it either, I'm not good at socializing and it helps. I only do it in smoking areas, therefore I'm not damaging anyone else's health, I only smoke when people offer me a fag so I'm not wasteing my money and tbh, when I smell a cigarette the only thing I think is "aaah, I should be drinking now." - which isn't exactly a healthy thought either but...ya know, it could be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

+1 to everything you've said. I've always ended up in smoking areas, seeing out of my 3 best friend's I'm the only one who doesn't smoke, it's not much fun sitting by yourself minding the table, seats, wherever you are. I've always gone out to where people are smoking. Been about 4 years now, and I still don't smoke. I can't stand the whole social smoking thing either.

grinds-my-gears1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Do you inform your mum or dad about everything you do though?

"Hi mum, just letting you know I drank till vomited last night"
    If it was a regular occurance then i'd probably mention it if they asked me "how was your night out" or something.I just don't see why people who are regular smokers hide it from their parents.You're an adult you should be able to do as you like with your life and not have to apologise for it.

You're an adult you should be able to do as you like with your life and not have to apologise for it.

You're an adult you can tell your parents nothing if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Lads, smokers are jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I smoked last night :rolleyes: I'm irritated at myself. I bought five rollies off my friend because I'd feel bad about just taking them from him. BUT! I only had two of them, and gave the others back because I realised smoking is not a good thing.

So yeah. All in all my quitting has largely been successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

For some reason I genuinely do not understand, I've constantly had to fight the urge to smoke. It's ridiculous and if I did do it, well, the first one mightn't be so bad but my health would take a definite turn for the worse if it continued. Which it would, because I can't just leave things after trying it once. >.< Even though I want to, I don't think I ever will. Nobody will let me try one, anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Never smoked. Can't say I really care whether other people do, but I will try and stop my mates from doing it at parties (yes, I suppose that is a contradiction).

It's just not for me, mainly due to the possible deadness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I just found out that a girl who went to school with me is 6 months pregnant. Now she was always a bit of a tool but she has surpassed herself this time. She is still smoking while pregnant.

Last week I saw a heavily pregnant woman stopping outside mc donalds to finish her fag before taking her three year old in. At ten am. Tbh I was almost impressed, if you're going to do something might as well do it properly...
    That is just shameful. The poor baby. If you've gotten yourself pregnant be responsible and look after the baby, don't be so selfish as to harm it just because you want a smoke

If she managed to get herself pregnant I'm also impressed! (sorry I just hate that turn of phrase)
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Lads, smokers are jokers.

Knock knock...

By not smoking you can not avoid the mighty cancer or anything else.So many people i know who never smoked day in lives or drank and got cancer and died,and then people i know who smoked and drank lived to ages of 88 and 101. Explain that away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

caseyann wrote: »
    By not smoking you can not avoid the mighty cancer or anything else.

That is a ridiculously irresponsible and misguided thing to say, especially to a young audience. Of course, nobody can ever guarantee a life free of cancer. However, smoking has proven links with several types of cancers. By avoiding it, one can greatly reduce their chances of suffering from those particular illnesses.
    So many people i know who never smoked day in lives or drank and got cancer and died,and then people i know who smoked and drank lived to ages of 88 and 101. Explain that away.

As I said above, there are various kinds of cancer. Some can be triggered by exposure to radiation, or toxic substances such as radon gas. Some can come about as a result of certain STIs. Chances can be influenced by genetic factors as well as environmental ones, as well as behavioural patterns.

Basing your entire opinion on the experiences of two people is not a clever way of reaching an accurate conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

I smoked for a couple years when i was in my late teens. Now i only smoke when very drunk or very upset maybe twice a year. I'm not sure that the desire for one ever leaves you once you have smoked.....Couldn't afford to be a full time smoker now the cost alone deters me.

That is a ridiculously irresponsible and misguided thing to say, especially to a young audience. Of course, nobody can ever guarantee a life free of cancer. However, smoking has proven links with several types of cancers. By avoiding it, one can greatly reduce their chances of suffering from those particular illnesses.

As I said above, there are various kinds of cancer. Some can be triggered by exposure to radiation, or toxic substances such as radon gas. Some can come about as a result of certain STIs. Chances can be influenced by genetic factors as well as environmental ones, as well as behavioural patterns.

Basing your entire opinion on the experiences of two people is not a clever way of reaching an accurate conclusion.

I didnt recomend it i highly recommend to avoid smoking it is one of the worst things to get addicted to.

I wasnt basing it on just two.I have hundreds more.Just used them two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

By not smoking you can not avoid the mighty cancer or anything else.So many people i know who never smoked day in lives or drank and got cancer and died,and then people i know who smoked and drank lived to ages of 88 and 101. Explain that away.

"The plural of anecdote is not data"

Advertisement