Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

funding for postgrad abroad

Options
  • 27-05-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there ,

Im living in Ireland and planning on doing a postgrad in the U.K . Is it possible for me to get a maintenance grant for that course or do they only count for courses in Ireland ? I was also wondering if being on social welfare at the moment entitles me to any funding for going back to do a postgrad .Is there anyplace I check up about this ?

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 nearly_there

Hi,

I was looking into this last year. I had been getting a maintenance grant from the city council for my undergrad but they basically dont want to know if ur going abroad. They told me they 'rarely' give a grant for a postgrad and 'never' for an overseas one.

Now this could just be for me because it is means tested but when i spoke to them they were unwilling to budge and of no help for furthur info etc

I ended up taking out a student loan with pretty ok interest rates. Hope this helps

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Local authority grant is only for the 32 counties, so the furthest you can go is QUB or UU. You wouldn't get it for rest of the UK and definitely not for Europe and you'd need to get a mortgage for America! This is the biggest disadvantage, it's almost as though they don't want you going anywhere!

If you're going to do a postgrad in Europe, the fees are piss cheap. I saw in the University of Heidelberg they were something like 2 grand for a masters. If you did your masters in Berlin (Humboldt, TU etc...) the fees are super cheap (€182/semester) and the living expenses are ridiculously cheap. Got a love that Federal subsidisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Lots of threads on this here on Boards. Do a search.

See the British Council www.britishcouncil.org and also Research Councils UK at www.rcuk.ac.uk

Advertisement