Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need new hard drive Dimension 8400

• 27-05-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Afternoon folks,

Can anyone tell me where I might get a hard drive for one of these computers? Dell seem very pricey for components...my hard drive was a 120gb but has failed.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
    :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You won't need a machine-specific hard drive. You just need to open up the case and figure if it's SATA or IDE and then go to any place that'll sell em.

(komplett.ie, elara.ie, peats, etc.)

EDIT:

Top one is IDE, bottom is SATA.

sata-ide_lg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

They are Sata (I'm typing this on one now :) ) but they also have IDE connections spare, assuming you don't have an extra cd/dvd drive installed on it.

Go for SATA op , it's the better option, no jumpers to configure etc. Are you running windows XP by any chance ? Drivers could be an issue if so depending on if it's the drive with the OS on it or an additional hard disc and the version of the OS being used. But we can assist with that if it comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Opps... it does have sata. Hope the OP reads this before getting the IDE drive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Thanks folks. Good thing I didn't have my credit card on my yesterday, was about to buy the IDE. It's the primary (and only) hard-drive. Problem with the old one, but a technician said he'd transfer all my stuff over for me once I get a new hard-drive! Just looking on the Elara website, which is the one one I need to get?

Confusing the way IDE hard-drives are also called ATA...:o

• Advertisement

Morning folks,

Can you tell me if this one will do the trick just to be sure to be sure:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME6951875

Thanks for the help!

calex71 wrote: »
    They are Sata (I'm typing this on one now :) ) but they also have IDE connections spare, assuming you don't have an extra cd/dvd drive installed on it.
    Does this mean that I could also buy an IDE hard-drive and use that as a back-up drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Does this mean that I could also buy an IDE hard-drive and use that as a back-up drive

I don't know the PC in question, but my $0.02 is, get an external drive for backups. Disks seem to fail more often these days, so if the backup disk is only turned on to do a backup, it should last longer. And remember, a backup is only any good if it can be restored from. If you have really valuable/irreplaceable data consider several backups and/or off-site storage.

Ok thanks, can anyone confirm that this HD will do the job:

http://www.elara.ie/products/details...ode=MME6951875

I just want to go ahead and buy it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Yes that drive will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

used SATA HDD.

Advertisement