Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Algeria RDS 7:45 Friday 28th May.(Sky Sports 1)

• 27-05-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Ireland's team announced

One new cap, Greg Cunningham of Manchester City(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Cunningham) comes in for Paul McShane in defence as O'Shea slots in at centre half. Derby County centre-midfield Paul Green will make his first start instead of Keith Andrews. Otherwise it's the same XI which took to the field on Tuesday, however there is a doubt over Liam Lawrence.

K Westwood

S Kelly
    J O'Shea
    S St Ledger
    G Cunningham

L Lawrence
    P Green
    G Whelan
    D Duff

R Keane
    K Doyle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Glad to see someone else getting a look in ahead of McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Disappointed Fahey isnt getting a start, hopefully he'll get a half or 30 mins at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Agreed about Fahey. And hope he gets on in centre midfield. Hes ok on the wing but hes the type of player that needs to be on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Would love it if Greg Cunningham could put in a sterling performance for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

on a side note, did anyone watch the U19 match against England?

By all accounts we were very unlucky to lose. The does seem to be some very promising players in that bunch, like Conor Henderson (made the bench a few times this season at Arsenal), Conor Clifford (captain of Chelsea reserves), Robbie Brady and Sean McGinty(well thought of players at Man U).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Would love it if Greg Cunningham could put in a sterling performance for this one.

One of the last fellas I remember putting in a sterling performance on a debut(?) and looked like a world beater was......Paul McShane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Why are these matches not at Landsdowne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

can anyone shed some light,i havn't got my tickets yet but my sister has them,they're for the south stand and according to her they have numbers but it says'unreserved' on them
    need to find out as have a 7 kids going in with me
    ta

Holsten wrote: »

Good question, its ready to go and all.

it was promised to the RDS,i suppose they had to just in case there was a delay with the aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I take it Green is a Trap style 'blocker' central midfield player? I really, really, really feel the team would be better balanced with Fahey. Have a feeling Fahey won't feature much because he won't fit the 'system' ala Andy Reid. In that case, c'est la vie I guess. That's just Trap way, period. It scares the sh!te out out of me as I'm usually watching through my fingers for the last 15 minutes of games, but if we qualify for the Euros I don't care.

Disappointed Fahey isnt getting a start, hopefully he'll get a half or 30 mins at least.

was looking forward to seing him,i know J o Shea who signed for Birmingham last year,(on loan now)
    he says Fahey is probably one of the 3 fittest players in their squad,he has a great engine and should be an automatic choice imo,and not just in friendlies,Andrews positioning in brutal and Whelan although he's done well is paceless and will get worse rather than better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just hope we look solid like on Wednesday .

Really impressed with the shape and I am not as concerned when not in possession .

Trap has put a great foundation to the team which we can hopefully build on with new players .

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

heavyballs wrote: »
    can anyone shed some light,i havn't got my tickets yet but my sister has them,they're for the south stand and according to her they have numbers but it says'unreserved' on them
    need to find out as have a 7 kids going in with me
    ta

It's sit where you want on the South Stand.
    Should be grand getting 7 together as long as you are there around 7:30ish.
    Just tell people to move in to make room.
    It was like a school tour on Tuesday.No one was watching the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I doubt they would have filled it. Perhaps if we were in the World Cup or we were playin high-profile countries there would be sufficient interest to fill the new Lansdowne.
    The main selling point would have been the fact that it was the opening match in the Aviva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I saw a good few Algerian supporters around Dublin city centre today. There seems to be a good few family groups and not just a young male supporters among them. I saw a large group of supporters in Talbot Street and when I got closer to them I saw that they were standing outside a mosque. I presume this means they are unlikely to go on the lash before or after the game :D

chughes wrote: »
    I saw a good few Algerian supporters around Dublin city centre today. There seems to be a good few family groups and not just a young male supporters among them. I saw a large group of supporters in Talbot Street and when I got closer to them I saw that they were standing outside a mosque. I presume this means they are unlikely to go on the lash before or after the game :D

No but we will make up for them not going on the lash when they beat England in South Africa in the group ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Does anyone know any pub close to the RDS that will be showing it, Preferably one with a good atmosphere?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I miss the days when they would broadcast the spectator ruining across the pitch

The FAI are the IRFU's bitches in regards to the stadium.The last game played was a rugby match and the first game played will be a rugby match.
    A combined Leinster/Ulster team v Munster/Connacht team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Great header

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

1-0 Ireland

Paul Green goal, 1st start for him!

Offside on the replay but it stands.

Good diving header, few players offside don't think green was one of them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    1-0 Ireland

Paul Green goal, 1st start for him!

Offside on the replay but it stands.

He was about a yard onside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The FAI are the IRFU's bitches in regards to the stadium.The last game played was a rugby match and the first game played will be a rugby match.
    A combined Leinster/Ulster team v Munster/Connacht team.

It's nothing to do with that. There has to be safety checks done with low capacity before a full capacity game could be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Worrying how injury prone O'Shea is nowadays. Still isn't right after the injury against France

St. Ledger - great first half so far
    An Citeog wrote: »
    He was about a yard onside.

Not according to the sky sports commentators. I wasn't looking at the screen at the time he just said offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

on a side note, did anyone watch the U19 match against England?

By all accounts we were very unlucky to lose. The does seem to be some very promising players in that bunch, like Conor Henderson (made the bench a few times this season at Arsenal), Conor Clifford (captain of Chelsea reserves), Robbie Brady and Sean McGinty(well thought of players at Man U).

Clifford was the youth team captain that won the FA cup. Certainly not the resreves capt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    St. Ledger - great first half so far

Agreed. Green has looked well in the middle as well, plenty of fight about him and he looks composed on the ball. At least you notice that he is actually playing unlike Whelan!

Westwood has looked good under the high ball as well.

Promising stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

How St.Ledger isnt plying his trade in the Premiership I still dont know, terrific defender, hasnt put a foot wrong in a green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    How St.Ledger isnt plying his trade in the Premiership I still dont know, terrific defender, hasnt put a foot wrong in a green jersey.

He's been great for Ireland but hasn't been the most consistent for PNE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Good reaction and finish from Keane. 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Nice cross from you Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

seems pretty comfortable for us out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Isn't it pretty crap that they're sh**te teams like Algeria at the world cup and we're not :mad:
    Damn you Henry, damn you!!! And no I still haven't got over it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Reganovski wrote: »
    Isn't it pretty crap that they're sh**te teams like Algeria at the world cup and we're not :mad:
    Damn you Henry, damn you!!! And no I still haven't got over it :mad:

There are far sh*tter teams than Algeria at this World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ah Robbie unlucky!

Could be a rare victory by more than one goal if things carry on like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

knew i saw that goal keeper somewhere before

he was on trial with utd suppose to be a great shot stopper but brutal with the crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    There are far sh*tter teams than Algeria at this World Cup.

Agreed!!

Well done New Zealand on beating teams like New Caledonia, Fiji and the mighty Vanuata!!

Am i right in saying this will be the first time we have won by more than one goal under Trap, if algeria don't score that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Am i right in saying this will be the first time we have won by more than one goal under Trap, if algeria don't score that is.

2007 was the last time we won by more than a goal.

4-0 against Denmark (Away)

Bukman13 wrote: »
    2007 was the last time we won by more than a goal.

4-0 against Denmark (Away)

We actually won by that much under Stan, must be his greatest memory of managing the team.

Keane peno. 3-0!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I thought them pens were banned?

baz2009 wrote: »

Starting at the WC I think.

baz2009 wrote: »
    EH???

EH???

Ha, he means the way Keane feinted the run up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

EH???

Checking your run half-way to the run-up Ronaldo-esque.

Pretty happy with what I seen tonight tbh :).

Lukker- wrote: »
    Checking your run half-way to the run-up Ronaldo-esque.
    Ah, ok! A bit of the old "aldo shuffle" :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement