Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Algeria RDS 7:45 Friday 28th May.(Sky Sports 1)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm not watching the match so can't really comment, but you shouldn't put too much store in the game tonight. This is a practice game for Algeria. The players won't be putting 100% in as they don't want to get injured and maybe miss the most important tournament of their careers. As for the Republic they might as well go for it as it's their last match of the season and want to show what might have been had they qualified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Lukker- wrote: »
    Checking your run half-way to the run-up Ronaldo-esque.

That's actually still allowed. It's only feinting to kick the ball that's been outlawed.
    "Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted," said Fifa's Jerome Valcke.

"However, feinting to kick the ball once the player has completed his run-up is now considered an infringement."

If players do feint at the end of their run-up and then score, they will have to take the kick again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8690435.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Pretty frustrating that a team this awful are going to the WC and we're not. Any chance of lifting the country and moving it to the Oceania division?

Been good enough game against a very poor team. Their defense panicked any time the ball was sent in. Wanted to go to it and checked for tickets today on ticketmaster. Cheapest ones left were 45 with a 5e booking fee. Yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We've clearly showed we're a better team than Algeria so maybe John Delaney should think about making a phone call to Sepp Blatter asking if we can take their place at the World Cup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

monkey9 wrote: »
    We've clearly showed we're a better than Algeria so maybe John Delaney should think about making a phone call to Sepp Blatter asking if we can take their place at the World Cup!!

These jokes are becoming more embarrassing than the anti-French media campaigns.

baz2009 wrote: »
    These jokes are becoming more embarrassing than the anti-French media campaigns.

Joke???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Who got the MoM?

In my eyes, it was St. Ledger. He commanded the back four when O' Shea came off and seldomley puts a foot wrong. He had to be extra vigilant with the inexperienced Cunningham beside him.

As an ex footballer for Cregmore FC myself, big round of applause for Greg Cunningham getting the 90 minutes. Looked good when he got the ball, positioning seems slightly suspect but I'm sure that'll improve with time.

Well done to Green for literally putting his head on the line for the first goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

mars bar wrote: »
    Who got the MoM?

In my eyes, it was St. Ledger. He commanded the back four when O' Shea came off and seldomley puts a foot wrong. He had to be extra vigilant with the inexperienced Cunningham beside him.

Keano got MOTH,your right St Ledger was rock solid for the whole match probably deserved it more

Keano got MOTH,your right St Ledger was rock solid for the whole match probably deserved it more

Thanks!

Should have guessed Keane got it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

St. Ledger had a stormer at the back alright. His tackle in the first half was cracking. O'Dea did very well when he came on too as did Cunningham from the start, but you could tell he was a bit nervous.

Green looked at home in the midfield and it was good to see a midfielder constantly wanting to get on the ball and receive the ball from the defence. I'd have no qualms keeping him in the side on form for the next game.

Aside from that, not a lot to shout about. Good win but Algeria look a poor poor outfit. They'll be canon-fodder for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looked good all round really, nice to see some of the young lads getting a run and some of the up and coming boys starting to make a name for themselves.

Was happy that Robbie Keane in the post match interviews repeatedly said that he did not care about england or how they would do, that it was all about Ireland. Not what SKY wanted to hear :)

Duff wrote: »
    Starting at the WC I think.

Why would they even be banned at all?? What's the point??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

fed up listening to Ronnie Whelan on analysis. He offers zero insight, he has his own agenda as do most of our pundits. no matter how we play he will always get a dig in a trap's style.

I just don't get these guys who think we should try and beat teams by playing football. For a team like ours to be successful we need to make ourselves as hard to beat as possible and reply on what quality we have.

The way Whelan, Dunphy and Giles etc..... go on about the France performance (which was excellent) they think its as simple as playing like that every game. We try and beat a quality side at their own game every time we take to the pitch and we'll be on the other end of a few beatings. For a country with the resources we have it is that simple.

Trap has done a great job in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of his style of football but ill take it if it means we get results.

I find it extremely hard to listen to Ronnie Whelan have a go at traps playing philosophy I really do. Its pretty staggering to be honest. For a bloke who couldn't manage a good sh*te for himself at Southend he sure knows alot about tactics now.

Tonight was laughable, we beat a decent albeit under strength side 3-0, and he is dying to get his digs in. No creativity?? what players have we got that are going to add this missing creativity?

This manager is going about things in the right way I feel. He has instilled an excellent team spirit, he is not attempting to blood too many players at one time, he is giving these new players good experience alongside our core first XI which is very important. I'm hugely enthusiastic about our prospects under trap.

As for trying to be more expansive and more attractive?? As I said, if we try to that then maybe in 3/4 game outta 10 we'll impress. And as happens in football, the other times we'll get beat. Thats how it works when you have a limited base to choose from.

Stop peddling your sh*te Whelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1220900/index.html#algeria+thrashed+irish
    The Irish, denied a spot in South Africa after a highly-charged a play-off against France, dominated proceedings and fully deserved the win.
    Algeria could afford to be upset that the assistant referee seemed to fail to spot a blatant offside from three Irish players.
    Fifa are taking a neutral stance I see.

On a more positive note, nice to get the win. Cunningham looks good at left back. Seems to be able to spray the ball around too. If only Trapp would let the wing backs get a bit more adventurous, himself and Kelly could be dangerous. Especially Kelly since Lawrence is a bit of a poor mans Beckham imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Does anyone else think we are too hard on keane he does have a brilliant record for us. Long way from mervue for cunnigham great to see him play at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I really like the momentum that is gathering with the team now.

Its such a shame that we are not going to the world cup as we are clearly good enough to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Now that the season is over for Irish players. who do people think will make the starting XI come Septembers opening Euro qualifier away to Armenia.

As its impossible to predict who will be on form and fit, assuming we've a clean bill of health and everyone is on equal form I'd go for;

1. Given (if still injured, Westwood)

2. Kelly
    3. O'Shea
    4. St Ledger
    5. Dunne

6. Whelan
    8. McCarthy (despite not featuring this week he has had a very postive 2nd half to the season, his ability to get forward is whats needed in our midfield)
    7. Lawrence
    11. Duff

9. Doyle
    10. Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I fear it is still too early for McCarthy as a starter.

Now that the season is over for Irish players. who do people think will make the starting XI come Septembers opening Euro qualifier away to Armenia.

As its impossible to predict who will be on form and fit, assuming we've a clean bill of health and everyone is on equal form I'd go for;

2. Kelly
    3. O'Shea
    4. St Ledger
    5. Dunne

6. Whelan
    8. McCarthy (despite not featuring this week he has had a very postive 2nd half to the season, his ability to get forward is whats needed in our midfield)
    7. Lawrence
    11. Duff

9. Doyle
    10. Keane

You can be sure McShane will be in there for some unknown reason.
    Coincidence that we didn't concede when he didn't play yesterday? I think not.

I much prefer Green (I know we've only seen him don a green shirt once but he was refreshing to see, he actually looked for the ball and he scored a goal!) and Whelan/Andrews in midfield. Preferably Whelan coz he can actually strike a ball. I don't see what Andrews actually gives to the midfield.

noodler wrote: »
    I fear it is still too early for McCarthy as a starter.

true, perhaps a more experienced centre mid for Armenia away, but I think we could give McCarthy a start against Andorra at Lansdowne Road

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    You can be sure McShane will be in there for some unknown reason.
    Coincidence that we didn't concede when he didn't play yesterday? I think not.

I much prefer Green (I know we've only seen him don a green shirt once but he was refreshing to see, he actually looked for the ball and he scored a goal!) and Whelan/Andrews in midfield. Preferably Whelan coz he can actually strike a ball. I don't see what Andrews actually gives to the midfield.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself re McShane. Had it not for him stepping out of the defensive line against Paraguay we could have had 2 clean sheets. I think Trap is reluctant to start him hence why he gave St Ledger the starts against Italy and France. Hopefully O'Dea or someone can take McShanes substitute spot.

Re midfield, I think Whelan is there to stay. He does a lot of unseen work like tackling, positioning himself well and can play good passes. Andrews is a poor mans Whelan though. I'd like to see a more positive partner for Whelan which is why I put in McCarthy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I thought Greener looked handy enough too, good feet and nice short passes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

true, perhaps a more experienced centre mid for Armenia away, but I think we could give McCarthy a start against Andorra at Lansdowne Road

No chance. He's a centre midfielder who likes to get forward. No room for them in Trap's system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

2. Kelly
    3. O'Shea
    4. St Ledger
    5. Dunne

6. Whelan
    7. Lawrence
    11. Duff

9. Doyle
    10. Keane

This is Trap we're talking about, he'll probably go with:

Given

McShane
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    Kilbane

McGeady
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Duff

Keane
    Doyle

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Was very impressed with Paul Green. Quite promising that he is linked with Sunderland.

Hoping for a James McCarthy/Glenn Whelan partnership for the Euros though. I'll cry if Trap persists with Jazzhands Andrews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought this was one of the best performances of a Trap side. Doyle was terrific as usual, as was Keane who was unlucky not to get a hat-trick. I was also very impressed with the defensive display, particularly from St. Ledger. I would like to see more from Cunningham and Green but they didn't do themselves any harm.

The set-pieces were very nicely worked and Lawrence has looked encouraging whenever he has played. He is a good option to have for his free kick capability as we don't really have great options in that regard. I'd like to see him move on from Stoke and get some regular games. Somewhere like Wolves would be great for him.

It all bodes quite well as we look towards the Euro campaign. I would like to see more creativity from the centre of midfield though and McCarthy might be the best bet in that respect. Here's hoping he is in Trap's thoughts next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

its a pity mccarthy was injuried for the 2 games would love to see him get some more time on the pitch and stake a claim for the euros.i dont think he will be a starter at the beginning of the campaign but a place on the bench is well within his reach and if he continues his progress he will be a starter before long.impressed with green and st. ledger.

Advertisement