Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCC vs UL

• 27-05-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Its not a showdown, just wanna hear people opinions, im trying to decide between the two!

What its mostly boiling down to for me is Cork is 3 years and Limerick is 4. I wanna know if the extra year is handier for experience, if its not, and obviously which one is "better" education-wise.

Appreciate any comment!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Are you talking about an undergraduate degree in psychology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭busttropical

yes sir, my appologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

You should post in the respective universities' forums to get a broader reply. If there's any students there who study it, they'll give you feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭busttropical

yeah was thinking about it, but i can ask student pretty easily I was hoping to hear from somebody higher up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

They're both accredited. Take a look at the course outline to get an idea of the modules on offer, you might find one more interesting. No one can give you a definitive answer on which is better. The co-op element in UL could be useful, but it might be up to you to find relevant work experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Also bear in mind the postgraduate options available on both colleges. While you will obviously have to meet the entry criteria for any further course you might wish to undertake after your degree, there's no doubt that the impression you make during your undergrad years can work in your favour over candidates who completed their undergrad elsewhere, all else being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tiggerman111

Since obtaining experience is very difficult I would maybe lean towards the course that is offering you work experience so that your beginning to network at an earlier level!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

And having been to an interview for UL (and offered a place! :D) I can tell you that the university provide a list of co-op placements and you interview for the ones you want. Personally, I feel the work experience is well worth it, especially if you decide you want to do a phd later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Efaol89

I'm just finished the UCC course and my friend started the UL course the same year as me.
    The UL course obviously incorporates sociology as well as psychology which many people find really vague and bull****ty. In UCC, you pick two arts modules as well as psychology and you can major in one. There are loads to choose from everything from english to chinese studies!!
    My friend had to do six months of work experience and she really enjoyed this but you must find the work experience yourself and it might not be particularly relevant. But another friend found relevant, paid work.
    As part of the UL course you also go abroad to a college for four months which is obviously an amazing experience.
    From an education point of view, i think the UCC course is second to none. Its tough going, mainly research based, and to be honest you don't get an awful lot of help from lecturers etc until your final year. I've heard that you got a lot more help in UL.
    So, hope this helps you make your decision somehow.

Advertisement