Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joanna Newsom set for Grand Canal Theatre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

sxt wrote: »
    Roy Harper supporting ,uber cool :)

Can't believe how bad this guy was, why does everyone seem to think he's a legend? I thought his set was drivel from start to finish and the guy clearly loves himself.

As for Joanna, she was great but I reckon if she keeps pushing her voice she's going to lose it for good. The set was good but I got the impression the band were playing so busily in order to cover up the fact that she's using her voice differently to before. I reckon she should just embrace the change fully and stop reaching for notes that are beyond her. The new style of singing is still amazing after all. Came away from this happy enough, but don't feel there were any serious highlights. Oh, and Roy Harper is dire!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Transcendent, radiant, spectacular and other superlatives: I adore this woman :) She is genuinely the best live performer I've had the good fortune to see. She just puts so much into the performance, her songs just radiate with emotion and power. I agree with the above poster that perhaps she shall one day push it too far as she definitely gives it her all, but for now she's an absolutely astonishing performer.

Highlights: the newly arranged Peach Plum Pear and particularly Inflamatory Writ are just sparkling - I'd love proper live recordings of them. Good Intentions Paving Company really rocks live, and Have One On Me was another particularly compelling highlight. Wish more from Ys would have made the cut, but alas an hour and a half is barely enough for someone whose songs frequently fly past the ten minute mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

I liked Roy Harper alot:o

Monkey and bear and that sax solo! were very enjoyable also as well as that little crowd interaction bit! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Monkey and bear and that sax solo! were very enjoyable also as well as that little crowd interaction bit! :)

I liked Roy Harper's songs, but he seemed totally spaced out during the crowd interaction bits. Really nice songs (the last one definitely suggests how Newsom has been influenced by him) but didn't know what to make of his little interludes!

Joanna's 'glue break' was great though! Some quick witted audience members. Loved her repulsion when someone asked of she was on Twitter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I liked Roy Harper's songs, but he seemed totally spaced out during the crowd interaction bits. Really nice songs (the last one definitely suggests how Newsom has been influenced by him) but didn't know what to make of his little interludes!

Joanna's 'glue break' was great though! Some quick witted audience members. Loved her repulsion when someone asked of she was on Twitter :pac:

really LOLed at "what type of glue do you use?"

great gig I thought. Bit disapounted at how long she pkayed for though. was hoping for about 2 houts:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

dan185 wrote: »
    really LOLed at "what type of glue do you use?"

great gig I thought. Bit disapounted at how long she pkayed for though. was hoping for about 2 houts:(

Sent from your uphone? :D

I loved Roy Harper... could really hear how he'd influenced Led Zeppelin in some of those songs. Newsom was great too. Seemed a bit odd with her crowd interaction though.

Was disappointed to hear her restaurant story from last time but she must be aware there are people who plain don't like her voice. An unfortunate scenario but perhaps best left not telling the crowd that. I think she was expecting a "ah no you were great" from the audience.

Was definitely odd to see her lack of confidence there as well as when she thanked Van Dyke Parks (which got some recognition), noted that the song was rearranged by someone on stage (who goofed at the lack of recognition he got which made a few people laugh) which had Joanna ask why people were laughing and if she'd made some mistake in her song credits. First night nerves I guess.

Other than that was an excellent show. Great venue for her and would have liked a slight bit more time for her on stage especially after the whole 7.30 show thing which changed into an 8pm start for Roy and 9.20pm for Joanna. Felt a bit like there was an attempt to get people there earlier to enjoy the GCT 7 euro drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Danco wrote: »
    Can't believe how bad this guy was, why does everyone seem to think he's a legend? I thought his set was drivel from start to finish and the guy clearly loves himself.

Does everybody think he is a legend? It was pretty painful stuff, I thought it would never end. Especially that last song. And the Bowie name drop, not even an interesting story.

No Emily which was a bit of a disappointment. Did she leave it out to piss of that pillock who kept roaring "Emily" at her? God I hate that ****.

The venue was nice but can people not sit still for 90 minutes? Take a piss before the main act.

And what was with the encore? Seemed to end pretty abruptly?

All that said, first time seeing her and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

The venue was nice but can people not sit still for 90 minutes? Take a piss before the main act.

That was driving me crazy! I was up and down like a fiddler's elbow all night making room for people to pass by, even in the middle of songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah I enjoyed that alright.

Is she as good as that harp woman from Dilin O'Damhsa? Not sure yet, but she's certainly up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Was in row B last night and thankfully there was nobody wanting to pass by for the entire concert. Thought the venue was great, first time I was there.

Would have like another song for the encore but its a minor quibble.
    Really enjoyed the whole show. Thought the whole band were excellent.

• Advertisement

Shame about the lack of a second encore alright, but alas it had hit the 11PM mark by then, and considering she only has a handful of songs under the 5 minute mark, it's kind of understandable. Wish she had played Cosmia though :(

Also, was anyone else really annoyed by the photographer during Jackrabbits? At almost every peak in the song there was digitised clicking to my right :mad:

Also, was anyone else really annoyed by the photographer during Jackrabbits? At almost every peak in the song there was digitised clicking to my right :mad:

I think that only bothered people at the front, fifth row onwards maybe Johnny? ;)

I was pretty happy that for the most part punters went along with the 'no photography' request though.

I think that only bothered people at the front, fifth row onwards maybe Johnny? ;)
    I didn't even notice
    I was pretty happy that for the most part punters went along with the 'no photography' request though.
    A concert where people are more interested in listening to the music than taking photos and/or recording the entire figgen thing on their mobile for their Facebook page.
    A better class of people (and cuter as it happens).

I didn't even notice

Ah I heard them a bit but ignored it cause I knew they'd be out of there after a song or two - I was just slagging Johnny cause he got better seats than me.

Ah I heard them a bit but ignored it cause I knew they'd be out of there after a song or two - I was just slagging Johnny cause he got better seats than me.

Did I? Didn't notice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

What a performance! Jackrabbits was a brilliant way to start an epic set. Its such an intimate, enchanting song.

I think i fell in love with her as she walked on stage! She has a real charm about her. She looked so cute fixing her hair every time she was setting herself up to play the harp.

My highlights were 'Soft As Chalk' and 'Peach Plum Pear'. Her voice is still swimming around my head today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 livvy8

i have to say i was really disappointed with joanna last night,don't get me wrong she sounded amazing as were her band but i felt robbed.i've been a massive fan of hers from the very beginning and although i do enjoy her new stuff its her old music that made me fall in love with what she does.With a 5 year gap between Ys and Have One On Me, it meant that i was an avid listener of The Milk Eyed Mender and Ys for a very long time and to see her last night play only 3 of her old songs was disappointing! i miss the joanna that sat on stage with her harp and nothing else but her beautiful voice.

one very sad fan:(

livvy8 wrote: »
    i have to say i was really disappointed with joanna last night,don't get me wrong she sounded amazing as were her band but i felt robbed.i've been a massive fan of hers from the very beginning and although i do enjoy her new stuff its her old music that made me fall in love with what she does.With a 5 year gap between Ys and Have One On Me, it meant that i was an avid listener of The Milk Eyed Mender and Ys for a very long time and to see her last night play only 3 of her old songs was disappointing! i miss the joanna that sat on stage with her harp and nothing else but her beautiful voice.

I'd be a bigger fan of the older stuff as well (I think everybody is, the new album is not as strong in my option) but reality is that, in general, artists want to move forward and play more of their more recent stuff. It's understandable from their point of view.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

it was a trombone!

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it but she has a new album out with any new act with a new album the vast majority of songs are going to be from it. The unfortunate thing with Joanna Newsom's new album is alot of the songs are quite long so it didn't leave alot of time for the older ones.

I loved last night, i wish she had done two nights. I was in the Circle great seats (i could hear the annoying photographer too!). Highlighs - Jrabbits, Chalk, Easy, Have one.

She's still incredibly nervous on stage between songs. She's still amazingly talented and quite wonderful during them.

I love the band i thought it complemented the new and old songs wonderfully. Her voice was a bit rusty but it's night one of a tour. Part of me wanted to hear her in the middle of the tour, the band would be tighter etc but then you miss out on such wonderful moments like - gluing and harp tuning.

Also is there a better venue in Dublin than the Grand Canal Theatre? If you haven't been. Book a gig there! Can't wait for Belle and Seb there.

To sum up - i wish it was yesterday all over again, the two things i'd do different - park closer and skip Roy Harper- awful stories, decent guitar playing - strong voice - toooooo looonnggg.

How could you feel robbed after a show like that? Yeah it would have been nice to hear more older stuff but an artist touring their current record will nearly always favour that record and considering how long some of her songs are she was never going to get through half as much stuff as we all hoped she would.

I think 'robbed' is a huge overstatement.

• Advertisement

More old stuff would have definitely been nice, but as said above Newsom's setlist is radically different to the usual concert. She pretty much only has time for half the songs you'd usually get. Only Skin is my favourite off Ys alongside Cosmia, but it would have taken up over a sixth of her allocated stage time, so I can understand its absence! At the Olympia gig she got through all of Ys, and still had around half an hour or so left for Milk Eyed Mender stuff. Here, she now has over four hours of pretty much entirely AAA material to work with. So while I can understand a frustration that she didn't get through as much old stuff as we hoped, it was always going to be that way. I've had a Ys concert, and now I've had a Have One On Me concert, and I've been entirely satisfied with both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I've been at all three of her Dublin gigs to date and this was my favourite. Milk-Eyed Mender is still my favourite album of hers, and I loved her solo set in the Sugar Club at that time (2003?) but I thought the fleshed-out version of Peach, Plum, Pear last night was sublime.
    So many gigs these days are just like listening to the album at a stupidly high volume, but she takes time to re-arrange her tracks for the band each time. A great performer.

Joanna got a rapturous applause between every song, i was alittle taken aback at how long the clapping lasted each time, and so was Joanna i presume judging by her cute slightly embarassed mannerisms:p, and then she and the band got a full house standing ovation near the end. Judging on these reactions, i think the vast majority of the audience thouroughly enjoyed the performance

jeff lebowsky

if i remember correctly u said u've only recently gotten into joanna's music so i dont really think u understand were im coming from!

lordgoat wrote: »
    it was a trombone!

It was indeed , no idea why my sub concious tricked me into typing it as a sax:p

as i said in my post i thought she was amazing last night i saw her in berlin 3 years ago and she blew me away i guess i expected a bit more of a mix of songs.Joanna is my favorite artist and i do love love artists such as jeff buckley,dylan,cohen,j. mitchell, bowie, and recent such as cocorosie and so on they are all wonderful artists so for joanna (in my opinion)to be my favorite artist, i am certainly not dissing her or putting her down.
    i guess i just miss the old joanna

Joanna got a rapturous applause between every song, i was alittle taken aback at how long the clapping lasted each time, and so was Joanna i presume judging by her cute slightly embarassed mannerisms:p, and then she and the band got a full house standing ovation near the end. Judging on these reactions, i think the vast majority of the audience thouroughly enjoyed the performance

i was also one of those ppl that gave a rapturous round of applause as i said she was amazing just disappointed about the lack of old songs!

I'd be a bigger fan of the older stuff as well (I think everybody is, the new album is not as strong in my option) but reality is that, in general, artists want to move forward and play more of their more recent stuff. It's understandable from their point of view.

i totally agree with u!
    i guess its just if u go to a dylan or cohen concert for example they always manage to put some oldies in there.also like tori amos her music has evolved dramatically over the years but at her concert she played loads of her old stuff!

jeff lebowsky

if i remember correctly u said u've only recently gotten into joanna's music so i dont really think u understand were im coming from!

Oh dear God! No you don't remember correctly. :rolleyes:

And even if I'd only been listening to her since yesterday my opinion would still be as valid.

Certainly you can be disappointed that she didn't play more old stuff - I would loved to have heard The Book of Right On myself but them's the breaks. However saying you were "robbed" was perhaps overstating it a bit - maybe it was just a poor choice of word.

I fail to see how you can both be amazed and feel robbed by the same gig.

• Advertisement

Oh dear God! No you don't remember correctly. :rolleyes:

And even if I'd only been listening to her since yesterday my opinion would still be as valid.

Certainly you can be disappointed that she didn't play more old stuff - I would loved to have heard The Book of Right On myself but them's the breaks. However saying you were "robbed" was perhaps overstating it a bit - maybe it was just a poor choice of word.

I fail to see how you can both be amazed and feel robbed by the same gig.

quite easily i was amazed by what she did played and robbed by what she didnt!

Advertisement