Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joanna Newsom set for Grand Canal Theatre

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I had goosebumps for most of the set.. it was enchanting. She's a gifted lyricist, among many other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 livvy8

I had goosebumps for most of the set.. it was enchanting. She's a gifted lyricist, among many other things.

i totally agree :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

livvy8 wrote: »
    quite easily i was amazed by what she did played and robbed by what she didnt!

To be honest from reading your first post the main thing i picked up on from it was your disappointment from the gig, not how amazing it was. You did say it was a great gig but couched it with the "but she didn't play hardly any of her older songs". one very sad fan i believe was your last sentence. That hardly gives out a vibe that you thought it was an amazing gig.

I've seen her a bunch of times and i can safely say she's grown each time as a performer and i don't miss the little girl with the harp act one bit.

Give me a band like this time or an orchestra like the last any day of the week in an amazing venue like the grand canal or wherever in glasgow i saw her over a cramped sugar club any day of the week.

lordgoat wrote: »
    To be honest from reading your first post the main thing i picked up on from it was your disappointment from the gig, not how amazing it was. You did say it was a great gig but couched it with the "but she didn't play hardly any of her older songs". one very sad fan i believe was your last sentence. That hardly gives out a vibe that you thought it was an amazing gig.

I've seen her a bunch of times and i can safely say she's grown each time as a performer and i don't miss the little girl with the harp act one bit.

Give me a band like this time or an orchestra like the last any day of the week in an amazing venue like the grand canal or wherever in glasgow i saw her over a cramped sugar club any day of the week.

i think joanna's voice and music is amazing, last night i was disappointed by the gig because it was not what i had anticipated. i would have liked her to play a different mix of songs because as an artist her original music is what got me into her and it is kinda sad when an artist that u have loved for so long has transitioned into quite a different style of music.

i see you say 'i don't miss the little girl with the harp act one bit', well obviously you didn't enjoy that period of her musical career as i did, which in turn left me disappointed with last night!

oh and im entitled to my opinion just as u are when u say u prefare her now as apposed to her earlier days.

You don't see me getting all defensive and hot and bothered just because i dont agree with you.i appreciate that you enjoy what you enjoy, don't be worrying about what i enjoy!

i think joanna's voice and music is amazing, last night i was disappointed by the gig because it was not what i had anticipated. i would have liked her to play a different mix of songs because as an artist her original music is what got me into her and it is kinda sad when an artist that u have loved for so long has transitioned into quite a different style of music.

i see you say 'i don't miss the little girl with the harp act one bit', well obviously you didn't enjoy that period of her musical career as i did, which in turn left me disappointed with last night!

oh and im entitled to my opinion just as u are when u say u prefare her now as apposed to her earlier days.

You don't see me getting all defensive and hot and bothered just because i dont agree with you.i appreciate that you enjoy what you enjoy, don't be worrying about what i enjoy!

First off i loved the first few Jo Newsome gigs i saw but if she was still doing the same thing i'd probably be bored of it. I like progress. Which is why i don't miss it, then it was great what she's doing now is equally good if not better imo.

It's been pointed out that she has a new album and was always going to play mostly songs from that yet you're still a bit put out that she didn't play what you'd like to hear. Pretty unreasonable from here.

I'm far from defensive in these posts, just trying to point out to you why people thought it odd that you'd be "a very sad fan" and feel robbed after that performance. And i definitely am not worried about what you enjoy.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    First off i loved the first few Jo Newsome gigs i saw but if she was still doing the same thing i'd probably be bored of it. I like progress. Which is why i don't miss it, then it was great what she's doing now is equally good if not better imo.

It's been pointed out that she has a new album and was always going to play mostly songs from that yet you're still a bit put out that she didn't play what you'd like to hear. Pretty unreasonable from here.

I'm far from defensive in these posts, just trying to point out to you why people thought it odd that you'd be "a very sad fan" and feel robbed after that performance. And i definitely am not worried about what you enjoy.

well as i said its my opinion and i dont understand why ppl care so much about what i think if ppl want to be petty so be it.
    i was just voicing my opinion which i believe is not a crime except on boards it seems.

original fans of joanna got into her music from what they heard from the beginning so how is it so strange to be disappointed with not hearing what they wanted to hear!

i have spoken to other ppl that feel the same.

like i have said plenty of times i thought she was brilliant last night and her band her voice as beautiful as ever even if it is a little more mature from her debut album.

a mix of old and new songs would have topped it for me:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

original fans of joanna got into her music from what they heard from the beginning so how is it so strange to be disappointed with not hearing what they wanted to hear!

Not all "original fans" are sad with her current output though. I got the first album not long after it came out and fell in love with her music. Due to various reasons, I never saw her in concert until this gig and I can't say I was disappointed at all even though I've never had a chance to hear the older stuff live. All her albums are brilliant but to be honest, although some of my favourite songs of hers are on the first album, Have One On Me is a far stronger album and I was far happier to hear those songs than a heavier mix of old songs.

John wrote: »
    Not all "original fans" are sad with her current output though. I got the first album not long after it came out and fell in love with her music. Due to various reasons, I never saw her in concert until this gig and I can't say I was disappointed at all even though I've never had a chance to hear the older stuff live. All her albums are brilliant but to be honest, although some of my favourite songs of hers are on the first album, Have One On Me is a far stronger album and I was far happier to hear those songs than a heavier mix of old songs.

wowza ha ha!ok i was just voicing my opinion jeez why are ppl getting so worked up anyway i have a life im not gonna spend my days on boards worrying what ppl think or say forget i was even following this thread only gmail told me so......anywho
    when i said original fans i didnt mean it in a nasty or snooty way i just meant followers from the beginning im not the type of person who nit picks whats the point.......

so long or should i say go long.............u love her new stuff so much u should get that reference!

John wrote: »

oh yeah and maybe if u had of seen her in concert b4 now you'd understand why i felt an element of disappointment....

oh yeah and maybe if u had of seen her in concert b4 now you'd understand why i felt an element of disappointment....

For someone that doesn't really care about replying on here you seem determined to keep this thread goign and have the last word !

Loads of people have seen her before and weren't disappointed, you seem the only one that wants to continously whinge about how you felt let down that Joanna Newsom didn't play a set list that suited you. It sounds like you feel like she owes you something when you say stuff like the post I quoted above.

Again the concert was amazing i've spoken to numerous people that attended read reviews and read other message boards yet the only posts expressing disappointment are yours. That speaks volumes to me. Maybe if you'd listened to the new album more you'd have truly appreciated what a wonderful engaging and musically masterful show you saw, but I guess some people like to complain and focus on the negative. So be it.

I really hope you don't reply to this but i know you won't be able to help yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sorry, I'm obviously not as big a fan as you are. Next time she plays, you can tell me how I'm supposed to feel afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be honest, she's one of the few artists whose work seem to continually mature and improve (although it's hard to say whether Ys or Have One On Me is her masterpiece thus far - both, possibly!). The Milk Eyed Mender has some astonishing songs - Sadie, Inflammatory Writ, Peach Plum Pear, Book of Right On - but as a whole it's less listenable than the next two albums. It took her a while to hone her style: from quirky freak folk to sprawling, hypnotic melodies. For me, getting to hear her new stuff live is an absolute pleasure. I'm not dismissing her old stuff for a second, but if I had to choose between new and old Joanna Newsom, I'd choose the latter!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Back on topic or the thread will just be closed.

This from now on please.

Posts deleted to tidy up the thread, any problems drop the mods a PM thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

If there's any Joanna Newsom fans in Newcastle-upon-Tyne or northeast England drop me a quick PM if you want to go to the concert in the Sage tonight. I have one spare (free!) ticket due to my gig buddy being unwell.

Advertisement