Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC running slow as could be.....

• 27-05-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

My PC has been running slow for months now but i managed. Well until recently anyway but now it's slowed down to a snails pace and is nearly impossible to do anything online anymore.

Web pages regulalrly freeze up and take 2/3 mins to open etc. When this happens sometimes the screen goes totally white apart from the blue infobar along the top and at the left hand side of this the browser logo becomes a white triangle. Other time the cursor cahnges to a white hand icon or sand timer icon. Dont really know where to satrt so any help much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

probably spyware

download this

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

and see what it finds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Install and run http://www.mydefrag.com/. Choose, System Disk Daily and click Run.

Also, http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner. Install and run that. It removes temporary files and has a nifty Registry cleaner too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

also on ccleaner go to the tools tab and look at Startup. You pretty much never need anything thats on that list to be running at startup - LOTS of crap, like Printers, and ituneshelper, etc. etc.

you can safely disable it all: they will still run when you need it to run (like when you go to print something).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

if all you use it for is the net it might be better just to restore back to factory settings

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

What browser are you using?

If the PC came with IE6 and you are now using IE8 then that could be a factor if you are maxing out your RAM.

I would try doing a comprehensive scan too with malwarebytes as it sounds like it has been getting progressively worse which points to malware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

danmanw8 wrote: »
    What browser are you using?

If the PC came with IE6 and you are now using IE8 then that could be a factor if you are maxing out your RAM.

I would try doing a comprehensive scan too with malwarebytes as it sounds like it has been getting progressively worse which points to malware

Using IE, not sure which version...how do i check? Also downloaded firefox recenetly but PC was already very slow before that. Did a full scan with malwarebytes, found a few things and removed them. Now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Overheal wrote: »
    also on ccleaner go to the tools tab and look at Startup. You pretty much never need anything thats on that list to be running at startup - LOTS of crap, like Printers, and ituneshelper, etc. etc.

you can safely disable it all: they will still run when you need it to run (like when you go to print something).

Except the Apple Media Devices service[iPad/Iphone/Touch]. That has to be left or manually triggered:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Except the Apple Media Devices service[iPad/Iphone/Touch]. That has to be left or manually triggered:)
    didnt know that. I dont use the device. My dad does. I hate the thing :p

Advertisement