Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best multiplayer games ever

• 27-05-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

i have been trying to think of some of the best multiplayer games i have played over the years and would like to hear other peoples faves. this list does not include online games

off the top of my head some of the best i have ever played are;

- micromachines(megadrive) was one of the only games i can remember that had controller ports on the cartridge, an absolute blast of a game with 3 other mates

- duke nukem:a time to kill (ps1) an unlikely one people may think but it was a brilliant deathmatch experience with excellent level design and one we played for many an hour

- goldeneye(n64) perhaps the king of deathmatch games at the time imo

- double dragon (nes)

- streets of rage (megadrive)

- mortal kombat(megadrive) spent hours trying fatalities on friends

- street fighter 2turbo (snes)

- road to world cup/pro evo (n64,ps2) for the football lovers

- track and field (ps1) finger bashing fun trying to beat mates records

- killer instinct (snes)

- super mario kart/mario kart 64 (snes,n64) always fun with mates

these are the games that i can think of, ill add more as i think of them
    -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Perfect Dark - absolutely the most fun I've ever had playing games was playing this on 4-player on a tiny CRT.

Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament - me and my uncle used to play this a lot yonks ago, still talk about it all the time these days.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo - same reason as Micro Machines 2

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs & Tekken - put them together cos me and my Dad used to play them a good bit

Any of the ISS/Pro-Evo games

Track & Field (PS1 version)

And probably loads more that I can't recall right now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No mention of Bomberman yet? For shame. There's no better drunken party game than 5 player Bomberman 93. I'd love to try the 10 player saturn version some time.

Micro machines is great craic.

Also you can't beat a good 1 on 1 fighter. My favourites are Garou, SSF2T, SF3 3rd Strike, SSF4, Samurai Showdown and new favourite Last Blade. Soul Calibur isn't bad for some Voldo button mashing.

All the Smash Bros. games are an absolute blast. Power Stone is great as well.

I'm not into online gaming at all but get a lan party going and Half life deathmatch and Starcraft are absolutely amazing games.

Pass the controller for the scrolling 2D beat'em ups is great fun with a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My favourites are Garou, Samurai Showdown and new favourite Last Blade.

Wehey! Good to see :) I must figure out wtf is wrong with the Neo so I can give you a rematch. Seems to be working absolutely fine now.

Also have a few other fighters I'm sure you'd be interested in playing. (There's nothing like Wakku Wakku 7 for a bit of craic)

My own personal favourite multiplayer game is Half Life Deathmatch (The original Valve version, they ruined it with updates :( ). Absolute perfection. I played the hell out of that ****er over 56k for years.

Ah forgot smash bros., played the original version to death with my brothers (kirby & ness ftw)

and don't know how I left out either of the power stone games.

Bomberman is great but never really got round to playing it with friends that much. Play it a good bit online on the ds now though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beer + friends + bomberman = a party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

In no particular order
    Track & Field (Arcade)
    Bubble Bobble (Arcade)
    Snow Bros (Arcade)
    Tekken Tag (ps2)
    Super mario kart (N64)
    Super mario kart (SNES)
    Micro Machines (dos)
    Scorched Earth (dos)
    Twisted metal (ps1)
    Pang/Super pang (Arcade)
    Puzzle Bobble (Arcade)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'd second Goldeneye, 4-player on that was awesome, especially for cheating gits like myself who'd nab the armour then shoot it to bits so nobody else could use it. :D
    Can't believe SWOS 2 player (or any version of Sensi) hasn't been mentioned, there's no pain like getting beaten by your younger brother at this game, or pleasure like handing out a whupping! Track & Field on the C64 was another great game for beating each other's records.
    One I forgot - Tetris on the PS1 had a brilliant 2 player aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

California Games and Streets of Rage on the Mega Drive
    Quake 2, WWF Smackdown and Track and Field on the PS1
    Bomberman, Mario Kart, Micro machines on the SNES
    Chu Chu Rocket, Dynamite Cop on Dreamcast
    Diddy Kong Racing on N64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Anyone remember bust a groove on the PS1? Epic game with a few mates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

If we are talking only console its gotta be bomberman, international track and field, WWE smackdown and the almighty behemoth of multiplayer gaming that almost nobody played TEAM BUDDIES - starts slow but becomes mental fast! + funny banter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ASUvRVbfQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

Golden axe ! :) Great two player action.. aaahhh memories. :):)

Diddy Kong Racing on N64

Absolutely love this game, the single-player was amazing, even more so considering it was a kart-racing game. Multiplayer was fun too but always remember it for single-player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

- goldeneye(n64) perhaps the king of deathmatch games at the time imo
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'd second Goldeneye, 4-player on that was awesome

Two Goldeneye N64 lovers, Retr0Gamer must be trembling in a corner muttering "Find a happy place, find a happy place" :D

Id prob go with Half Life 1 (original) also. Spent some serious 56k hours on that one, particulary when I found a mod called Action Half Life. It was well worth the 6 and a half hour download wait (30MB :rolleyes:)

Honorable mentions to Micro Machines, ISS Deluxe, SF2 (+ variants), Sonic 2, and many I cant remember :)

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Id prob go with Half Life 1 (original) also. Spent some serious 56k hours on that one, particulary when I found a mod called Action Half Life. It was well worth the 6 and a half hour download wait (30MB :rolleyes:)

Honorable m

Wehey, another HL DM lover. Nice one man. Too many people automatically defaulted to Counterstrike for their multiplayer needs.
    When you can play DM well and use the Tau Cannon properly, it's far far more skilled than CS could ever dream of being.

As for 56k downloads, the standard Half Life valve updated was 85mb. It was a total killer! Can remember leaving my pc on 12hours + just to download it. Was worth it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭marcuspheonix

California Games and Streets of Rage on the Mega Drive
    Quake 2, WWF Smackdown and Track and Field on the PS1
    Bomberman, Mario Kart, Micro machines on the SNES
    Chu Chu Rocket, Dynamite Cop on Dreamcast
    Diddy Kong Racing on N64

california games on th enes was brill, i remeber the bmx racing and keepy upy being good fun. another game i forgot from my lst was coolboarders 3 on the ps. again not an obvious one but was great craic with mates and we played it for hours

california games on th enes was brill, i remeber the bmx racing and keepy upy being good fun. another game i forgot from my lst was coolboarders 3 on the ps. again not an obvious one but was great craic with mates and we played it for hours

Ah that reminds me: SSX on the ps2 was great fun in multiplayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Big fan of worms armageddon on the ps2

Micro machines on the MD aswell, just the little dance your car makes when you make the distance from the other car!

Master of the Universe

I love that little jumping car sound in Micro Machines. It's the sound of victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Big fan of worms armageddon on the ps2

Micro machines on the MD aswell, just the little dance your car makes when you make the distance from the other car!

Worms! How could I forget worms, I still have games of that the odd time when I have mates round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

The best times I ever had in multiplayer was on WWF No Mercy on N64.

Mario Kart on SNES comes close. The N64 version was muck, imo. My bro & I brought it back 3 days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

OK not a top 10 but of the games I can remember.

Total NBA 97 on the PS1.
    Speedball 2 - Amiga
    Kick Off 2 - Amiga
    Super Cars 2 - Amiga
    Pro Evo series
    Golden Eye
    SF 2
    Streets of Rage 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

These might note be the best, but these stick out right now in my mind (After a few cans of Bulmers)

c64 - Turbo Lotus Challenge, Spy V Spy, Bubble Bobble,
    SNES - Super Tennis, Dr. Tetris, Mario Kart, Super Bomberman
    Megadrive - Micromachines,
    Arcade - GoldenAxe, Street Fighter,

And right now, I am playing Buzz jungle with my daughter so I would have to include this on the list:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Arcade - Daytona USA (turbo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I heard/read of people building crazy DIY setups for Goldeneye such as spliting the screen in half with cardboard dividers. Has anyone a picture of such a crazy setup or was I dreaming this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Oh and isn't it the case that multiplayers are being overtaken by online multiplayers? Split screen in games seems to be a rarity these days. Odd considering we all have 5million inch tellies :p

I heard/read of people building crazy DIY setups for Goldeneye such as spliting the screen in half with cardboard dividers. Has anyone a picture of such a crazy setup or was I dreaming this up?

They gave away a piece of cardboard that could be folded up to split the screens with EGM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My best multiplayer experience was bringing two playstations over to a mates place, back in 96 or so, with a link cable and two copies of Doom, how cool was that night!

Also great was the evening into early morning spent playing Return Fire on my 3DO with the same mate, superbly balanced game, nothing like nailing the jeep with your last rocket from your last chopper as the little fecker is making off with your flag!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I used to spend hours playing Tony Hawks multiplayer (2-4), took me ages to find people who were practiced as much as I was but getting to the point when you're both in the millions and it all comes down to one epic half a minute long combo was some fantastic multiplayer fun. Also used to make up our own game types using level creator (jousting ftw :) Two slopes, two skaters). Shame the series went to **** then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

For my money nothing beats the simple fun of a mp exp like micro machines on the MD. (and snes?) 4 player MM was as much fun as you could have with your clothes on.*

*not counting strip micro machines

As for others.

Goldeneye, any streets of rage, mario kart games, sonic 2 and 3 all deserve a mention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement