Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Horses in Red dead redemption

• 27-05-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me is there any difference in the horses you can tame in the wild or are they all just a generic type and its the ones in the shop that have different speeds?

And if there is a difference where can you find the best ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i got the limited ed version of this game and got war horse download for free!

serious horse so strong and fast

now thats what ya need to get imo back horse with fawn mane! think its meant to take ages to find it though normally:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

There is a wild white stallion in the Diez Corona's area in the hills. I tried to catch him but failed a couple of times. Am starting to think he is a super stallion of some sort that is near impossible to catch. He is hard enough to lasso, but once you do get him, and get off your horse, a pack of wild dogs attack you time and time again and the white stallion bolts away into the hills.

Am not sure about your original question. I'd guess the horse for $750 for sale in the store would be better than most wild horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

There is a wild white stallion in the Diez Corona's area in the hills. I tried to catch him but failed a couple of times. Am starting to think he is a super stallion of some sort that is near impossible to catch. He is hard enough to lasso, but once you do get him, and get off your horse, a pack of wild dogs attack you time and time again and the white stallion bolts away into the hills.

Am not sure about your original question. I'd guess the horse for $750 for sale in the store would be better than most wild horses.

I went and bought the horse for $750, and yeah it/he/she is pretty damn fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Anyone want one of them warhorses, lads? I've a spare one floating about thanks to HMV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Anyone want one of them warhorses, lads? I've a spare one floating about thanks to HMV!
    Ill take it iff you dont mind :)

• Advertisement

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Ill take it iff you dont mind :)

Jaysis, that was quick! I'll PM it to you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Any more? :P

Any more? :P

Nah, sorry man - I only had the one spare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

is there any way of selling the wild horses that your tame by any chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Most of the ones in the wild are the same but the Kentucky Saddler, one you get off Bonnie, Hungarian Half-Bred which is white with a black face and is found in Mexico and the American Standard Bred which is all black and is found in the Great Plains area by Blackwater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i am highly allergic to horses and the reason i love red dead so much is the first time in my life i own a horse and can ride it anytime without my allergies flaring up!!!!:)

gob bless you rockstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

There is a wild white stallion in the Diez Corona's area in the hills. I tried to catch him but failed a couple of times. Am starting to think he is a super stallion of some sort that is near impossible to catch.

Lol that's the Hungarian Half-bred :D. You can only buy it from the shop once you break one and it counts towards the "Buckin Awesome" achievement too. Never had any trouble with wild dogs when I did it though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Dead eye+mark=easy lassoo, keep lt held, hop of your horse then immediatly hop onto the one lassooed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

I thought this was the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is a very basic online guide, maybe someone would be willing to make a better one? :)

Anyway, 1 thing that is missing is a HUD notification of what horse you are riding, much like in GTA. Of course, there are those (I may be one) who think it suits the western setting to have to figure it out for yourself.

Basically horses are broken down into 3 categories in a star rating system with 1 star being the sickly, slow horses, 2 star are more numerous and middle of the road, with 3 star being the "super exotic sports car" of the horse world and obviously more rare.

The guide went as follows:

Go into the general store and look at the certificates, press y to get a more detailed description of each horse. It was at this point I had to start googling horses and terminology, I had no idea what "pinto", "appallosa" were, nor what "blaze", "snip", etc. meant.

I think this is where the game shines, in a way. Horses have to be identified visually and you can't rely on the game to tell you (unless you want to buy one). The one star horses are scrawny with protruding ribs and zero muscle. The 3 star horses have glistening coats and are visibly more muscular. If it's not one of these then it is a 2 star horse. Another factor is stamina: the easier a horse is to break the lower it's rating.

The 3 stars are obviously the ones you want to get:

Kentucky Saddler: Golden coloured horse that you get early on from a mission with Bonnie. Golden coloured horse.

American Standardbreed: All black horse, available near the McFarlane ranch though I don't think I have seen one yet.

Hugarian Halfbreed: White horse with a darker face, available in Mexico.

That's all I know, any corrections/additions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    There is a very basic online guide, maybe someone would be willing to make a better one? :)

Anyway, 1 thing that is missing is a HUD notification of what horse you are riding, much like in GTA. Of course, there are those (I may be one) who think it suits the western setting to have to figure it out for yourself.

Basically horses are broken down into 3 categories in a star rating system with 1 star being the sickly, slow horses, 2 star are more numerous and middle of the road, with 3 star being the "super exotic sports car" of the horse world and obviously more rare.

The guide went as follows:

Go into the general store and look at the certificates, press y to get a more detailed description of each horse. It was at this point I had to start googling horses and terminology, I had no idea what "pinto", "appallosa" were, nor what "blaze", "snip", etc. meant.

I think this is where the game shines, in a way. Horses have to be identified visually and you can't rely on the game to tell you (unless you want to buy one). The one star horses are scrawny with protruding ribs and zero muscle. The 3 star horses have glistening coats and are visibly more muscular. If it's not one of these then it is a 2 star horse. Another factor is stamina: the easier a horse is to break the lower it's rating.

The 3 stars are obviously the ones you want to get:

Kentucky Saddler: Golden coloured horse that you get early on from a mission with Bonnie. Golden coloured horse.

American Standardbreed: All black horse, available near the McFarlane ranch though I don't think I have seen one yet.

Hugarian Halfbreed: White horse with a darker face, available in Mexico.

That's all I know, any corrections/additions welcome.

The American Standardbred is available in the last area, you get to by Blackwater in the Great Plains.Found a few of them there, although a good few cougars too.

Advertisement