Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a rant

• 27-05-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

about a "centre" in the city that I had booked for communion on Saturday..got a phone call yesterday saying that I can't have the room as it's needed for a function (funeral) of a club member and was offered the bar instead which i declined and they are giving my deposit back to me (which I gave them before Christmas)...daughter is really upset, had a face painter, magician and DJ coming and have now had to cancel them all and have it in my house which isn't big enough to accommodate everyone and the weather is meant to be terrible..her whole day has fallen apart..i'm fuming:mad: but nothing i can do about it..she's so upset and so am i for that matter..really want to go in later and give out in spades when i collect the deposit but know i wont as ill end up making a scene.the whole weekend we were looking forward to and it's now effectively ruined as she doesnt want it in the house she wanted it here with ehr DJ and its been arranged for months:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

snuggles09 wrote: »
    about a "centre" in the city that I had booked for communion on Saturday..got a phone call yesterday saying that I can't have the room as it's needed for a function (funeral) of a club member and was offered the bar instead which i declined and they are giving my deposit back to me (which I gave them before Christmas)...daughter is really upset, had a face painter, magician and DJ coming and have now had to cancel them all and have it in my house which isn't big enough to accommodate everyone and the weather is meant to be terrible..her whole day has fallen apart..i'm fuming:mad: but nothing i can do about it..she's so upset and so am i for that matter..really want to go in later and give out in spades when i collect the deposit but know i wont as ill end up making a scene.the whole weekend we were looking forward to and it's now effectively ruined as she doesnt want it in the house she wanted it here with ehr DJ and its been arranged for months:(

If they accepted your booking and you paid a deposit they are in breach of contract and can be sued - just point that out to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,648 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sorry to hear about your troubles.

Ring Billy Mccarthy in the morning and write a letter to the club manager.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I honestly can't see them be able to get out of this because a member of the centre died, you still had booked and paid a deposit for the event. I'd be looking into small claims court and discussing this with consumer connect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm so sorry that you've had this happen and I know how children and their families look forward to their communion day.

They're in breach of contract and I think you shouldn't let them away with it. If it were me I'd try and book another venue and go about sueing this place especially with such short notice.

As it's such extremely short notice it might be worth phoning Billy McCarthy in the morning and you never know maybe someone listening would have a venue and pull out all the stops and get you sorted for Saturday and the ones you had to cancel may still be free. What a headache, jeez you need this like a hole in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

what should i say when i go up there? I'm going up at 9 o'clock and i'm shaking with rage and disappointment..my daughter was sobbing he heart out for ages today and says the only thing she asked for was a DJ and we cant even do that for her..i'm so upset over the whole thing..in her eyes her whole day is ruinied and has fallen asunder and i'm trying to coax her around and she's getting there but i know come saturday, what should be a happy day is going to end in her all teary saying she wants her disco etc..am just trying to make the best of a bad situation at the moment and went and bought all decorations etc for the house to make it like a party for her but wasn't planning on having it here so now have to blitz the place and pray it doesnt lash rain or people will be literally standing on each other..others wont bother to come to the house, they would have gone to the centre..i told them as well that i needed it as i needed wheel chair access for her great grand dad but having it at home now he can't come as he can't get in my front door..such a bloody mess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Snuggles, I can get ya somewhere else in the city centre, and a DJ etc if you want.

I would tell them that they're in breach of contract and that you'll be taking the matter further. You don't have to tell them what you plan on doing but reassure them that you will not let it drop. No need to give them a heads up if you do plan on phoning Billy.

Then tomorrow morning get on to Billy and let him contact the centre and let them explain themselves.

When you see all the preparation teachers do for most of 2nd class in preparation for the children's communion and all the build up and rehearsals in the last few weeks and then the planning and looking forward to their big day and then have this happen is such a kick in the teeth for a child.

Why can't the funeral party have their reception in the bar?

Snuggles, I can get ya somewhere else in the city centre, and a DJ etc if you want.

That would be great, I think in cases like this especially when it's a young child involved you'll find people are great at helping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Take a deep breath, re-organise your weekend and enjoy it. Leave some time pass afterwards and then consider your options.

Most important is to enjoy the event and ensure your daughter enjoys the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I love boards :cool:

• Advertisement

i think ill ring them and ask them can they have the funeral in the bar etc..it'll be a no though i'd say..when i told him to leave it last night i'd say he was straight on the phone to the bereaved family..i dont want to make a bigger issue of it as i'm mindful that someones loved one has died so wouldnt want to make a thing of it on the radio but was going to ask Billy could he just give a shout out to any venue that may be free but i know it's way too late at this stage

just have to suck it up really:(

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

i think ill ring them and ask them can they have the funeral in the bar etc..it'll be a no though i'd say..when i told him to leave it last night i'd say he was straight on the phone to the bereaved family..i dont want to make a bigger issue of it as i'm mindful that someones loved one has died so wouldnt want to make a thing of it on the radio but was going to ask Billy could he just give a shout out to any venue that may be free but i know it's way too late at this stage

just have to suck it up really:(

abouttobebanned made you a generous offer above!;)

Yes Boss wrote: »
    abouttobebanned made you a generous offer above!;)

yep he's been a star..we've pmd but i need wheel chair access and also have all the food and hot plates etc bought and any place thats free will insist on doing the catering for me and i havent the budget i'm afraid...really appreciate it thought he's the best:)

am just going to make the best with what we have and bring her to the dogs saturday night after a party at home..the days it what you make it as they say and am feeling more positive now having spoken to people..thanks for letting me vent (i can be some pain in the arse on here with my moaning at times:D)

Would a scout hall do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

i'm not sure if you've the room in the garden but if you do have a bit of space then might i suggest this http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1685967&Trail=searchtext%3EPARTY+TENT

homebase and woodies sell them for less then €100 and if you have a bit of help it shouldn't take long to put up. maybe get a lend of a few garden tables and chairs from neighbours or something? i think they come in a few sizes so you might find one that will fit you garden.

the weather is not bad from afternoon on http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&postalcode=EUR;IE;EI023;WATERFORD;&metric=1&hbhday=3&hbhhour=14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

is'nt the point of paying a deposit up front, that you are in effect securing the venue for yourself, as well as securing them financially if you pull out at the last minute?

thats a bit slack of them if you ask me!!! :mad:

i hope you get something sorted!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd be careful about accepting the deposit back, I'd argue it with them first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Whoever dealt with you is not very professional because I would be under the impression that since they are breaking the contract (deposit money has been paid) they should be responsible to secure a new venue that suits you and they should pay the extra costs if new venue costs more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I know it's not really the point and I understand why the OP would be pissed but if you all can fit in the bar why not just have it there as compared to sitting at home miserable on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

ziedth wrote: »
    I know it's not really the point and I understand why the OP would be pissed but if you all can fit in the bar why not just have it there as compared to sitting at home miserable on the day.

Given the fact that it's a funeral reception it might not be appropriate to have a disco going on at the same time!!

Also the bar mightn't be big enough to cater for her party.

Think it's poor form on the the part of the centre - think she should name and shame them as well to warn other people who might be thinking of booking the same place.

• Advertisement

I couldnt have had the DJ in the bar if there was a funeral on in the next room it wouldnt have been appropriate plus there isnt a dancefloor as such in the bar and also anyone could walk in or out etc..i paid my deposit for a private room and the bar is open to everyone.

I got the deposit back last night. The manager didnt even acknowledge me or even say sorry. Just said here you go and handed me the money and walked off..ah i'm passed caring at this stage. Have the house spik and span and we'll have our own little disco at home. Just hoping the weather holds out but as long as it does we'll have a great day regardless. Don't want to name but it's NOT the mount sion centre so you can draw your own conclusions from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Fair enough,

I think from the room next to the bar it's not hard to figure out who you are on about.

I still think you should name them TBH but I really admire you for taking the high road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Is there a mod on boards called <snip - Nice work there, but lets avoid this route please> power to him. He'd have something to say about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Ha ha hint hint!!
    Yeah if it is that place i wouldnt expect anything else really and i know who runs it and its so unprofessionally run

I got the deposit back last night. The manager didnt even acknowledge me or even say sorry. Just said here you go and handed me the money and walked off..ah i'm passed caring at this stage. Have the house spik and span and we'll have our own little disco at home. Just hoping the weather holds out but as long as it does we'll have a great day regardless. Don't want to name but it's NOT the mount sion centre so you can draw your own conclusions from that.

Although as you said your passed carring its well worth following up on this in relation to them breaking the contract...obviously when your less busy

I hope it all went well today and that your little one had a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

deisemum wrote: »
    I hope it all went well today and that your little one had a great day.

yeah - let us all know how it went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I'll let the OP come on and tell ye but nobody will believe the final twist to this ..........:eek::eek:

Snuggles you have ever right to break that managers jaw.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    I'll let the OP come on and tell ye but nobody will believe the final twist to this ..........:eek::eek:

Snuggles you have ever right to break that managers jaw.

Jaysus that sounds intriguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

sue the knickers off them mate i will stand in your defence in court :mad::P

Advertisement