Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thousands of caterpillars in a web

Options
  • 27-05-2010 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

There is a section of hedge behind my brothers house around 10 foot high & 10 foot wide covered in web with thousands of caterpillars on it.theres threads coming off the main web down to the fence & the caterpillars are crawling down them & crawling along the electric fence.
    I took photos but dont know how to put them up here.I never seen anything like it before.
    Anyone any idea what they are?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There are a number of similar species of moths that do this.
    I got 2 reports yesterday.
    One of the reports is detailed on Biology.ie website.

I take no credit for this piece. It was reported to me.

Regarding actual species, if you can find out what plant they are eating, not easy if nothing left, then species can probably be determined.

See umoths and the following few species

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

Thanks for the reply,thats them alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Mothman wrote: »
    There are a number of similar species of moths that do this.
    I got 2 reports yesterday.
    One of the reports is detailed on Biology.ie website.

I take no credit for this piece. It was reported to me.

Regarding actual species, if you can find out what plant they are eating, not easy if nothing left, then species can probably be determined.

See umoths and the following few species
    Have them in my garden they're feeding only on my spindle trees. Not touching any of my whitethorn, blackthorn or bird cherry. Don't know whether to be happy or sad having them there. There're really hammering into the spindles:mad:

Advertisement